PDA

View Full Version : Fa la la la la, la la la la!

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-12-03, 09:41 PM
What might your favorite songs of the season be?

(And don't bother to post just to say, 'None, I don't like christmas, waaaaaah!')

-=-=-=-=-

Mine would include...

Carol of the Bells
Breath of Heaven
I Wonder As I Wander
Mary Did You Know
Christmas Country Style
Anything by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, especially Carol of the Bells and Wizards in Winter.

I know there are more but my mind has gone blank.

Some great funny ones include The Restroom Door Said Gentleman and Have A Happy Ramahanukwanzmas.

There is another one of my favorites that I cannot find the name of for the life of me. Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28228) is a thread I made just to try to find it but have had no such luck.

Talon_McScruffles
2006-12-04, 01:08 PM
This is all you need:
http://www.hour25online.com/pix/scary-solstice_03a.jpg

my favorite is "it's beginning to look a lot like Fish-men"

In all seriousness, though, I like the ones done by Frank Sinatra. All of them.

Reinforcements
2006-12-04, 02:14 PM
I'm a big fan of "Mele Kilikimaka" and "Christmas in Kilarney" by Bing Crosby.

On the humorous side, besides obvious ones like "The Night Santa Went Crazy", "Christmas at Ground Zero", and "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer", I like "Chiron Beta Prime" (http://www.jonathancoulton.com/lyrics/chiron-beta-prime) by Jonathan Coulton.

The Prince of Cats
2006-12-04, 02:36 PM
"Carol of the Old Ones" (from "A Very Scary Solstice")
"Fairy-tale of New York"

WampaX
2006-12-04, 02:42 PM
Anything from the Muppets Christmas album (yes, I said album and not CD)

Closet_Skeleton
2006-12-04, 03:54 PM
Good King Wenceslas. Its better if you actually know who the historical King Wenceslas was. I'd look it up on Wikipedia but I'm sure I've got his name wrong.

Reinforcements
2006-12-04, 04:00 PM
Good King Wenceslas. Its better if you actually know who the historical King Wenceslas was. I'd look it up on Wikipedia but I'm sure I've got his name wrong.
"Doot doo doo doot doot doo doo, on the feast of Stephen!
Doot doo doo doot doot doo doo, who the hell was Stephen?"

Talon_McScruffles
2006-12-04, 04:01 PM
"Carol of the Old Ones" (from "A Very Scary Solstice")

Yay! Now I feel special!

Grandma got run over by a reindeer? Yes, I suppose I would find that one humorous as well. But unfortunately, the local radio station played it to death. I mean, TO DEATH. Morning, noon, and night, every day. All the way from early November to late January, they NEVER STOPPED! :furious:

Now whenever I hear that song, in the car, I am tempted to spin the wheel into oncoming traffic. Happy driving in this Christmas season :smallwink: !

Chunklets
2006-12-04, 04:01 PM
If I had to pick just one, I'd go with "Ave Maria." Although I might also point out the The Vandals' "Oi! to the World" is also a darn fine piece of Christmas music!

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-12-04, 04:06 PM
Yeah, I can sympathize with that. Now, the one that drives me up the wall, Christmas Shoes. It NEVER stops playing. Every other song on three stations!

I never liked it anyways. Yup, Momma's dying, what she must need is some shoes to wear under her blankets...

Timberwolf
2006-12-04, 04:28 PM
Oh little town of Bethlehem
Away in a manger
Once in Royal David's City
O Come all ye faithful (band geek here, this carol sounds wrong without a trumpet backing it up)
Hark The Herald Angels Sing
And of course, let us not forget the sheer might of Frosty the Snowman.

As for drive me nuts, Merry Xmas Everybody by Slade. I swear, there is no punishment bad enough for Noddy Holder for screeching "IT'S CHRRRRIIIISSSSSTTTTTMMMMMAAAAAASSSSSS" down that mic.

bosssmiley
2006-12-04, 05:43 PM

*Feel* the radiating snobbery of vinyl purism. :smalltongue:

I love most of the songs from "Muppets Xmas Carol" (not to be confused with the above), and a lot of the parody carols from "Ren & Stimpy's Crock of Christmas" and the Vandals "Oi! to the World" (props Chunklets).

About the only straight carol I really like is "Deck the Halls", although I enjoy "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" and "We Three Kings" too.

Christmas; it's a time for fun, and for fun music. "You vill conform to ze enforced jollity of ze season schweinhund!"

Amotis
2006-12-04, 05:56 PM
Anything by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, especially Carol of the Bells and Wizards in Winter.

Seconded. I saw them this year. It was totally awesome. Hehe.

Logic
2006-12-04, 06:04 PM
My Top 3
1) Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
2) Carol of the Bells
3) I'll Be Home for Christmas

The last one especially since I may be in the same predicament that the song was written to represent.

MrsbwcMD
2006-12-04, 07:10 PM
My favorites are:
Hark the Herald Angels Sing
I'll Be Home for Christmas
The Christmas Song ("Chestnuts roasting over an open fire....")
O Come, O Come, Emanuel
Do You Hear What I Hear?
And there was a song my old church choir used to sing that was basically the entire scripture telling the story of the Christmas star and the shepherds being told by the angels about the baby Jesus.

Reinforcements
2006-12-04, 07:37 PM
Yeah, I can sympathize with that. Now, the one that drives me up the wall, Christmas Shoes. It NEVER stops playing. Every other song on three stations!

I never liked it anyways. Yup, Momma's dying, what she must need is some shoes to wear under her blankets...
Oh man, I friggin' hate that song. And the stupid movie. And every idiot who thinks it's moving. Gar!

HealytheHealslime
2006-12-04, 07:39 PM
At the moment, my favorite Christmas song would have to be "Simply Having A Wonderful Christmas Time, by Paul McCartney (I think...).

I also happen to like pretty much all of the Christmas songs themed around Christmas in the warmer climes ("Mele Kilikimaka", "Christmas Island", etc.,).

The Vanishing Hitchhiker
2006-12-05, 06:15 AM
Hm, in addition to some of the songs listed here (this is a copout meaning "I can't remember any right now for some reason"), I like Carol of the Bells (I've always thought it sounds vaguely creepy for some reason), that one "glo-oooo-oooo-oooo-oooo-oria in excelsis deo" song (mostly just for the gloria part), that Paul McCartney one about a Wonderful Christmastime, the first Noel the angels did say, and one charming little ditty called "The Christians and the Pagans" by someone called Dar Williams, in which a pagan drops in for Christmas with her uncle's family. Heartwarming.

Talon_McScruffles
2006-12-05, 01:21 PM
"Do you hear what I hear?" Just because that's the song that is playing in Gremlins when the mother is walking through the house with the kitchen knife. The cognitive disonance (ooh, big words!) is hilarious.

"You're a mean one mister Grinch" The old one with the saxophones, while sometimes annoying, is generally pleasant to listen to. I don't like the new Jim Carry one. You don't have a humorous song for the guitar solos.

Reinforcements
2006-12-05, 02:03 PM
"You're a mean one mister Grinch" The old one with the saxophones, while sometimes annoying, is generally pleasant to listen to. I don't like the new Jim Carry one. You don't have a humorous song for the guitar solos.
I'm with you on that one. Boris Karloff is the man.

Pensive Pine
2006-12-05, 02:18 PM
I like a lot of Christmas songs, but one I discovered last year is Bad News' "Cashing in on Christmas."
"Cashing in on Christmas
Hear those cash tills ring
Jingle bells make money
Everybody sing!"

I'm also partial to Brian Setzer's versions of Jingle Bells and Winter Wonderland.

The Evil Thing
2006-12-05, 02:20 PM
Probably Handel's Messiah. English Oratorio + Baroque = Epic Win.

InaVegt
2006-12-06, 04:56 AM
‘Komt allen tezamen’

A dutch religious song for christmas, we have no santa songs.

Fredricus
2006-12-06, 05:34 AM
I only knew one Dutch christmas song, I don't remember it anymore. i learned it in kindergarten in I.S.A.(International School of Amsterdam).

Anyway my favorite christmas song is Walking in the Air. I remember it from a cartoon that allways comes at christmas about a snowman. A couple of years ago Nightwish made a their version of it, believe it or not it's good.

Today is Finnish independance day!

Aidan305
2006-12-06, 06:33 AM
Sooo many to choose from

Let's see now, of Christmas songs:
We Wish You a Merry Christmas
Winter Wonderland

Of Solstice songs
Carol of the Old Ones
Mythos of a King

Of Christmas Oratorios
Handel's Messiah
J.S. Bach Christmas Oratorio

Of Christmas Carols
Carol of the Bells
See Amid the Winters Snow
Joy to the World

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-12-06, 07:43 AM
Anyway my favorite christmas song is Walking in the Air. I remember it from a cartoon that allways comes at christmas about a snowman. A couple of years ago Nightwish made a their version of it, believe it or not it's good.
Oooh, completely forgot about that one. Here is my favorite version of it...

Walking In The Air (http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/7/30/148015/Celtic_Woman_-_Walking_In_The_Air.mp3)

Mr Croup
2006-12-06, 10:52 AM
I'm with you on that one. Boris Karloff is the man.

The one singing in the original version of the song is actually Thurl Ravenscroft (of Tony the Tiger fame) who may just have the best name ever.

I'm partial to Good King Wenceslas, and God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen performed by Bing Crosby, and really just about any Christmas song he sang.

My current favorite holiday tune is Baby It's Cold Outside performed by Brian Setzer and Ann Margret.

Talon_McScruffles
2006-12-06, 02:24 PM
The one singing in the original version of the song is actually Thurl Ravenscroft (of Tony the Tiger fame) who may just have the best name ever.

My God. my world is changed forever.

Flak_Razorwill
2006-12-06, 03:16 PM
Love, love love:
Carol of the Bells (Mr. Mackey's version changed my life)
We Three Kings (Sang it at a pageant one year, grew on me.)
Anything by Trans-Siberian Orchestra (They make radio songs I actually like.)
Es Y'Golonac! (It has Christmas, Mexican Flair, and Lovecraft. WIN!)

Hate with a passion:
Christmas Shoes (Seppuku Music)
Some damn song about some horribly stereotyped Italian donkey (HEE HAW HEE HAW, come on, paisan!)
Simply Having A Wonderful Christmas Time (The muzak station at my work plays this about 600 times a day for a month straight.)

You know, they came out with "An Even Scarier Solstice." It supposedly took all the money from the first one, and found some professionals to make the next one better!

I'll shill for them. I bought the first CD a while back...it was worth it.

http://www.cthulhulives.org/store/store.lasso?1=product&2=105

http://www.cthulhulives.org/store/images/aess.gif

Talon_McScruffles
2006-12-06, 03:41 PM
ohmygosh! Thank you for telling me! Gotta get it.

And by the way, i also hate "Simply Having A Wonderful Christmas Time". I mean, if I heard it once, it would be okay. But if I have to hear it back to back one more time...
I swear that the DJ at the local Christmas music station just knows that that song annoys me.

Timberwolf
2006-12-06, 03:58 PM
I'm with you on that, I'm trying to go for the entire christmas period without hearing "Merry Xmas everybody". Apparently it got into the charts every christmas since it's release in the 70's. That must mean people are buying it every year. Why, WHYYYY!!!!!

I've failed already in my quest but at least I got out of the shop before Noddy Holder could screech (see previous post)

Other favourite tracks include Walking in the Air and Joy to the World.

Telonius
2006-12-06, 04:13 PM
"Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer," Elmo and Patsy.

Beleriphon
2006-12-06, 05:14 PM
I'm going to have to go with White Christmas by Bing Crosby, from the movie of the same name. Thats a great movie.

Turcano
2006-12-06, 06:56 PM
When I first read the thread title, it reminded me of the madrigal song by the Smothers Brothers.

"Fa la la la la la la la, fa la la la chirp chirp."

Anyway, I have to pile on with the hate for "Christmas Shoes." My God, that song couldn't be more trite and sappy if it had been written by Meat Loaf. And I just know that it's going to be played practically non-stop on the radio. I just hope that I can make it through the season without someone dying.

blackout
2006-12-06, 07:26 PM
I really don't have a favorite, but I do come up with my own versions, which I am very proud of...Ahem...
"I wish you a merry christmas, I wish you merry christmas, I wish you a merry christmas, so gimme some cash, or I'll never stop singing!"

Kelson
2006-12-06, 10:28 PM
Coventry Carol
Trans-Siberian Orchestra, especialy "A Star to Follow" and "First Snow"
Anything by Mannheim Steamroller.
Comedy:
"Getting a Lobotomy for Christmas"
"Harry Potter Christmas"
"Shopping Mall of Broken Dreams"

Pensive Pine
2006-12-06, 11:01 PM
I was listening to a Christmas CD I made a few years ago, and it reminded me of a couple of songs:
The Twelve Pains of Christmas - How could I have forgotten to mention this one before? It's classic!
The Gift - I think that's what it's called... anyway, this is the only song that makes me cry everytime I listen to it, no matter how many times I've heard it before (take that, Christmas Shoes!). It's a very simple song about a girl named Maria who takes care of a bird with a broken wing, and then offers it to the Christ Child on Christmas Eve, and it sings "the very first nightengale song."

Talon_McScruffles
2006-12-07, 01:51 PM
Anyway, I have to pile on with the hate for "Christmas Shoes." My God, that song couldn't be more trite and sappy if it had been written by Meat Loaf. And I just know that it's going to be played practically non-stop on the radio. I just hope that I can make it through the season without someone dying.

Wow. "Favorite Christmas Carols" has turned into a festering of hatred.

And yet I don't feel bad.

Ferahgo
2006-12-07, 07:14 PM
Everything else I like already got mentioned, so:
Ho, Ho, Hoey!
http://www.amazon.com/Ho-Hoey-Complete-Collection/dp/B0000CD5JU
The second CD exists entirely for You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch. And... all the other good ones.

Flak_Razorwill
2006-12-07, 11:39 PM
Oooh! I almost forgot another classic!

THE 12 DAYS OF STARCRAFT.

open_source.exe
2006-12-08, 07:37 PM
Wreck the halls with bricks and hammers
Fa-la-la-la-la la-la-la-la
'cause we're so mad at the landlord
Don we now our shrapnel jackets
Fa-la-la fa-la-la la-la-la
Get the weapons, let 'im have it

That song PWNS!

Tom_Violence
2006-12-08, 08:48 PM
I can't believe Fairytale of New York hasn't got more votes! My favourite by far.

That and the one who's name always escapes me. Video was war-based. Had that awesome up-beat brass bit in it. Curse you, memory of mine.

LordOfNarf
2006-12-10, 08:25 PM
Fairytale of New York
Stop the Cavalry
'Zat You Santa Claus
Santa baby

Talon_McScruffles
2006-12-11, 04:07 PM
I have a story about yesterday.

i was in the kichen, making toast (in the middle of the night. What can I say. A man needs his toast.). I turned on the radio because the parakeet in the kitchen wanted it on, and wouldn't stop imitating the microwave (the only thing he imitates. He does it perfectly.) And on the radio, for the first time I heard it,

Christmas shoes.

Man. That song BLOWS. It has no recognizable refrain, and it does not sound good when guys sing through their nose. So, I turned it off, waited a few minutes, put some margarine on my toast, and turned it back on. Again. They were playing it again. WHY!?! WHY GOD!?! WHY!!!??!?!?!?!?!

Because I care about the parakeet's taste in music, I turned it off. I left with my toast, leaving Christmas shoes behind. And yet it haunts me.

nifty>>virago<<
2006-12-11, 04:54 PM
hmm my favorite christmas song is probably santa baby...well thats what it was last christmas anyways....now they really over play it and it sort of gets on my nerves....

Tom_Violence
2006-12-11, 07:18 PM
That and the one who's name always escapes me. Video was war-based. Had that awesome up-beat brass bit in it. Curse you, memory of mine.

Stop the Cavalry

That's the one! You genius you!

Charity
2006-12-14, 08:58 AM
I can't believe Fairytale of New York hasn't got more votes! My favourite by far.

I shall give it more votes then, puts two dozen votes for Fairytale of new york into the box.
I must say I kindov like santa baby for it's inherrent cheekiness.

and c'mon you gotta give Noddy holder some love IT'S CHRISTMAS!...

http://www.angel.dk/Slade/Tees/Noddy.gif
Yeah it's naff, but it always puts a smile on my face.

Gerrtt
2006-12-14, 09:43 AM
For the most part I like pretty much all Christmas music. I've got my car radio set on a station that plays it all season long. However, I have yet to hear my favorite yet, but that would be because most Americans wouldn't like hearing Silent Night in Deutsch (German, for those who aren't aware), its original language.

Gerrtt
2006-12-14, 09:46 AM
I have a story about yesterday.

i was in the kichen, making toast (in the middle of the night. What can I say. A man needs his toast.). I turned on the radio because the parakeet in the kitchen wanted it on, and wouldn't stop imitating the microwave (the only thing he imitates. He does it perfectly.) And on the radio, for the first time I heard it,

Christmas shoes.

Man. That song BLOWS. It has no recognizable refrain, and it does not sound good when guys sing through their nose. So, I turned it off, waited a few minutes, put some margarine on my toast, and turned it back on. Again. They were playing it again. WHY!?! WHY GOD!?! WHY!!!??!?!?!?!?!

Because I care about the parakeet's taste in music, I turned it off. I left with my toast, leaving Christmas shoes behind. And yet it haunts me.

Dude, I hear you. That song, while possessing a good message, is very strange. Not only is the guy's voice really weird, but the tune feels very random to me at some points. The sad thing is that I know the whole song and I only first heard it two weeks ago.:smallconfused:

Thistle
2006-12-14, 11:07 AM
Oh, so many and more.

Carol of the Bells, though this is largely dependent on choir and orchestra, if done how I like it it gives me the chills (in a good way)
Gabriel's Message
I Wonder as I Wander
Because all Men are Brothers
Maria Durch ein Dornwald Ging (not sure of the english title is)
O Come, All Ye Faithful
Hark the Herald Angels Sing
The Conventry Carol
Joy to the World
Ave Maria
O Holy Night
Silent Night
We Three Kings
Lo! How a E'er Blooming
I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day
Baby it's Cold Outside
I'm gettin nothin for Christmas
Ring Out Wild Bells (Not really a Christmas song but it has become a tradition in my family to sing it on New Years.)

Edit:

However, I have yet to hear my favorite yet, but that would be because most Americans wouldn't like hearing Silent Night in Deutsch (German, for those who aren't aware), its original language.
After having lived in Germany and moved back to the US, know how you feel.

Yawielas
2006-12-14, 11:34 AM
Of the english ones I like

Little Drummer Boy
Silent Night
Deck the Halls
On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me

of the norwegian ones, including ones that are translated from english or any other language:

O Helga Natt
Det lyser i Stille Grender
Nå tennes tusen julelys
Deilig er jorden

smellie_hippie
2006-12-15, 02:19 PM
I enjoy most of the traditional tunes (Christmas-y or X-mas-y)
but for humor......

Bob & Doug McKenzie's parody of 12 Days of Christmas
"On the fiurst day of Christmas, my true love gave to me... a beer"
The Ramones Merry Christmas, I Don't Want to Fight Tonight

King_of_Oz
2006-12-15, 03:45 PM
My favorite song of the season is:

Hannukah O' Hannukah

Sereno
2006-12-19, 03:10 PM
Loreena McKennitt singing "The Wexford Carol".
"The Christmas Song" (Chestnuts roasting....).
God Rest Ye, Merry Gentlemen.
Silent Night (either in English or German).
"O, Christmas Tree" from the Charlie Brown Christmas.
Just about anything by Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

billwill91
2006-12-19, 03:20 PM

amen mr. wampa

preferably the 12 days of christmas

i also like the great white north 12 days
"on the first day of christmas, my true love gave to me/a beer in a tree"

Charity
2006-12-20, 06:11 AM
There is the famous Aussie take on christmas By *WARNING THIS LINK GOES TO A NON PG 13 SITE MR WILSON IS A VERY RUDE MAN DON'T CLICK IF YOU THINK YOU OUGHT NOT* Kevin Bloody Wilson (http://www.songlyrics.com/song-lyrics/Kevin_Bloody_Wilson/Miscellaneous/Christmas_Song/61379.html)

faerwain
2006-12-20, 06:47 AM
Besides the classics I like

O holy night sung by Brook Benton(?)

Christmas Eve(Sarajevo 12/24) from Savatage - I believe this track started the Trans-Siberian-Orchestra movement, didn't it? Besides being a great track, the context of it at the album telling a story about civil-war-destroyed Sarajewo makes it a little bizarre to listen to, adding to the goose-skin it gives me.

"Sankt Niklas war ein Seemann" by Freddy Quinn.
If I'd be objective, this song would be kitschy, but it very impressed me as a child(and kitschy or not, this guy has a good voice) and simply belongs to my christmas memories. It's about Santa Claus(meaning the historical bishop) as a saint of sailors, appearing with his ship to a sailor on watch during a storm, who then realizes that he will be safe home for christmas.

Talking about hate - I removed it from my sig, but still my christmas nemesis is :Wham's cursed "Last christmas"! Besides that stupid lyrics reminding me of my ex-girlfriends who have a tendency to break up during christmas, I can't hear it anymore. This year I'm mostly spared, but last year I zapped through 3 music channels and they were all playing it simultaneously!

It's not really a christmas song, but I like the Jose Carreras "Gloria" from "Misa Criolla/Navidad Nuestra"(The 1988 album, that is)