PDA

View Full Version : Glowing Orb

pbdr
2013-06-11, 03:19 PM
can you give away a "glowing orb" spell to anyone? Even a non-s[ell caster? Or can they only be transferred upon death to another caster?

Bubzors
2013-06-11, 03:55 PM
In the spell compendium entry it straight up says any creature with and int or wis or 13 can gain control of the orb. My party just finished spending a good bit of time in the underdark and everyone in the party had one. They were invaluable

BowStreetRunner
2013-06-11, 04:43 PM
In the spell compendium entry it straight up says any creature with and int or wis or 13 can gain control of the orb. My party just finished spending a good bit of time in the underdark and everyone in the party had one. They were invaluable

The PGtF entry is almost identical, but you have to be a cleric, sorcerer, or wizard capable of casting 4th-level spells in order to control the orb.

pbdr
2013-06-11, 06:38 PM
The PGtF entry is almost identical, but you have to be a cleric, sorcerer, or wizard capable of casting 4th-level spells in order to control the orb.

That's where my question comes in....

Gildedragon
2013-06-11, 06:43 PM
Spell compendium is the authority in these matters. Unless you are playing Faerun I guess.

BowStreetRunner
2013-06-11, 09:31 PM
Spell compendium is the authority in these matters. Unless you are playing Faerun I guess.

Or if you have a DM who treats them as distinct spells, as some do. Bottom line, ask your DM. But the SC version should definitely be usable by non-spellcasters with the right INT or WIS scores.

Jack_Simth
2013-06-11, 09:40 PM
can you give away a "glowing orb" spell to anyone? Even a non-s[ell caster? Or can they only be transferred upon death to another caster?
... why bother? Just cast Continual Flame on the blade of a dagger. Sheath it when you don't want light, hold it when you do, and partially sheath it when you want just a little light. No questions on whether or not it can be given away, stealthy when you want to be stealthy.

Lateral
2013-06-11, 10:26 PM
Or just get a flask of Liquid Sunlight. Same idea, requires no spells, less than half the price.

Deophaun
2013-06-11, 10:46 PM
... why bother? Just cast Continual Flame on the blade of a dagger. Sheath it when you don't want light, hold it when you do, and partially sheath it when you want just a little light. No questions on whether or not it can be given away, stealthy when you want to be stealthy.
It's mainly useful for wizards/sorcerers, whose versions of continual flame are level 2, and so vulnerable to being dispelled by darkness.