PDA

View Full Version : Prestige Questions

GutterFace
2013-06-11, 03:31 PM
so i have some questions about taking a Prestige class (3.5) i was wondering if people can clear up for me. ill ask a lot of random nonsense if you will give me some leeway....all below are just examples and not what i will be taking.

1) arcane archer - says you need 1st level arcane casting, but clearly the class does not progress spell level you can cast. are you still able to cast those 1st level spells from your previous entry class?

2) class skills - lets say you are a Rogue and have Use Rope and Hide as class skills. Now you want to prestige as a pirate. the Pirate Prc as class skills Use Rope....but no Hide...does Hide now fall out of class skills for you? and do you keep whatever ranks you had in Hide from Rogue?

thanks!

RFLS
2013-06-11, 03:36 PM
so i have some questions about taking a Prestige class (3.5) i was wondering if people can clear up for me. ill ask a lot of random nonsense if you will give me some leeway....all below are just examples and not what i will be taking.

arcane archer - says you need 1st level arcane casting, but clearly the class does not progress spell level you can cast. are you still able to cast those 1st level spells from your previous entry class?
class skills - lets say you are a Rogue and have Use Rope and Hide as class skills. Now you want to prestige as a pirate. the Pirate Prc as class skills Use Rope....but no Hide...does Hide now fall out of class skills for you? and do you keep whatever ranks you had in Hide from Rogue?

thanks!

Yes, absolutely. You retain all casting upon entering the class; it's just not advanced.
Hide is no longer a class skill for you when you enter the PrC. However, the points you put into the skill when it was a class skill are unaffected by classing into the PrC.

For future reference, there's a stickied thread at the top of this subforum that will answer any and all basic rules questions you might have.

Waker
2013-06-11, 03:37 PM
In both cases you retain any class skills you had. The Pirate PrC would be able to invest in Use Rope normally, while Hide would be purchased at 2/1 ratio as a cross class skill. However, the maximum number of ranks you could put into Hide would be lvl+3 since it was a class skill for Rogue.

Vedhin
2013-06-11, 03:38 PM

1) arcane archer - says you need 1st level arcane casting, but clearly the class does not progress spell level you can cast. are you still able to cast those 1st level spells from your previous entry class?

2) class skills - lets say you are a Rogue and have Use Rope and Hide as class skills. Now you want to prestige as a pirate. the Pirate Prc as class skills Use Rope....but no Hide...does Hide now fall out of class skills for you? and do you keep whatever ranks you had in Hide from Rogue?

thanks!

1) Yes, you retain your previous spellcasting ability. It just does not improve with levels in the prestige class.

2) You buy ranks in hide as a cross-class skill when you take levels of Pirate (2 points for 1 rank. Your maximum skill ranks are determined as if it was a class skill, however (so character level +3)

This link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/multiclass.htm#) should help you. It's the SRD's section on multiclassing.

Edit: swordsage'd

GutterFace
2013-06-11, 03:50 PM
awesome thanks everyone