PDA

View Full Version : Scenario ironing - chases and mad bards

Silus
2013-06-11, 03:42 PM
As with many scenarios I tend to come up with, I'm having a bit of trouble filling out the transitory sections, and would appreciate a bit of assistance in getting from point A to point B.

The Escaped Golem

What I have
So the basic premise of the first scenario is that a very valuable golem/automaton has run away/escaped/gotten loose and the PCs are charged with tracking it down and either A) bring it back to the owners, B) bringing it's head/heart/vital component to an anti-golem group, or secretly C) aid the automaton in it's escape from the city.

So I've got the first part (A posting of a bounty on the golem and an increase of anti-golem violence as people try to cash in on the deal any way they can) and the end (Owners give PC's a permanent discount on tech in the city, the PCs get a hefty cash reward, or the automaton becomes a potential ally in the overall plot later on).

The issue
I can't really think of a way for the PCs to even stumble upon the automaton without just rolling for a random encounter. As far as I know they don't have any contacts or associates in the city to tap for information, and anyone with an idea of where the golem would be would likely cash in on it themselves. The other issue is that I don't want to have an encounter with the golem (likely being accosted by thugs or the like) to smell of a plot hook, because these players seem like the type that would go "Plot hook? Let's go the other way then".

"The City of Songs" or "The Pain Organ"

What I have
Based rather heavily on the video "The Cat Piano (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj4RBmU-PIo)", the PCs would eventually find themselves in a port city simply called "The City of Songs" (unsure if it'll be a typical "european" type port town of if I'll go with an arabic theme) that is essentially a bardic city state that I would describe as an "anarcho-syndicalist commune" or whatever it's called where there's a different "leader" every month or so as voted on by the bards of the city.

Anyway, first visit, the PCs will be passing through on to some other location. While in the city, the PCs will meet a bard that for now I'll just call "The Singer". She takes a liking to the PCs, admiring their adventurous lifestyle and general devil-may-care attitude, possibly striking up a romance (basically trying to forge some sort of connection for part 2). They leave the city though with the promise A) to stop by should they be in the city again, or B) to assist the Singer should she need it.

Second visit will be preceded by them receiving a letter. The Singer, at the time of the letter, is the monthly head of the city and is requesting help for a rash of kidnappings and strange murders. The Singer fears she will be next as soon as she steps down from her position, which is only in a week or two after the PCs get the letter. The PCs rush back to the city only to find it on the brink of anarchy and the Singer missing. [Issues arise here]

The scenario culminates with the PCs launching an assault on the kidnapper's hideout (at the moment an old lighthouse, though I'm flexible about the location). They get to the "music room" and find the Singer hooked up to an infernal contraption that is equal parts torture device and pipe organ with wires, pipes and tubes snaking this way and that, some digging into the Singer's flesh. Her screams of pain become amplified by the machine into a sort of horrific music with each key pressed. The whole thing would be some long forgotten instrument of attempted world destruction, trying to summon/awaken dead or sleeping entities (which wouldn't work for fluff reasons). PCs kill the BBEG (I'm thinking something in the vein of Bard/Cleric or the like) and try to safely extract the Singer form the machine. Failure means she dies in the PCs arms, insisting that she does not blame them and thanking them for saving her from an apparent lifetime of torture. Success means the Singer lives and becomes an ally later on in the plot.

The issue
Well several really.
1) The scenario relies pretty heavily on PC cooperation. Befriending/falling for The Singer, accepting to return to the city to help her and bothering to follow through on the investigation instead of trying to wrest control of the city from the people. How might I go about this without A) making the only incentive loot, and B) being overly heavy handed and railroading the PCs to the plot?

2) I can't quite think of a way to get the PCs from wherever it is they look for the Singer when they return to the BBEG base. The only idea is that the BBEG messes up somewhere and leaves behind some token (a necklace or ring or something) that is like "Oh, that belongs to X. He used to live over in Y, but we've not seen him in a while", followed by an investigation of the BBEG's house which leads to location C then to the BBEG base. It seems like it could work, but I feel that it's too linear and procedural. I wanna find a way to spice it up without said spice taking too long, as the PCs are on a bit of a deadline.

Bulhakov
2013-06-11, 04:57 PM
For the golem
- I suggest the golem has some sort of a magic leash that prevents it from leaving the city. To get that leash removed it would need the cooperation of a runesmith (very few in the city, even fewer that are pro-golem). The PCs could start investigating the various runesmiths, maybe one will mention a missing apprentice that hasn't showed up for work in a few days.

For the Singer
- have the Singer harassed/offended on stage in front of the characters (maybe one will step in as a knight in shining armor or if not, the singer can show she can take care of herself, and the offender would come crashing down on the PC's table, either will establish a good starting connection)
- as for tracking down BBEG, have interviewed NPCs mention a crazy fan/stalker, if the PCs track him down, it'll turn out he saw something no other witnesses did, like insignia of the local music academy on the rapier guard of the kidnapper (further investigation leads to finding out only distinguished professors are awarded these rapiers by the university).

Silus
2013-06-11, 09:25 PM
For the Singer
- have the Singer harassed/offended on stage in front of the characters (maybe one will step in as a knight in shining armor or if not, the singer can show she can take care of herself, and the offender would come crashing down on the PC's table, either will establish a good starting connection)

That sounds a bit better than what I had planned. Lights dim, crowd gets quiet, I put on Sway from Dark City (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j_Zf4yFWmo) on my laptop then describe her. Have her flash a smile at the PCs or have her ask the PCs to see her after the show or something.

Maybe have a jealous bard heckling her or a deranged fan or something?

- as for tracking down BBEG, have interviewed NPCs mention a crazy fan/stalker, if the PCs track him down, it'll turn out he saw something no other witnesses did, like insignia of the local music academy on the rapier guard of the kidnapper (further investigation leads to finding out only distinguished professors are awarded these rapiers by the university).

Again, a far better suggestion than what I was going to go with. Though I do think I'll throw in an almost insane newspaper clipping wall in the professor's office with the Singer circled in red with something like "IT'S HER" written next to it.

Bulhakov
2013-06-12, 10:31 AM
It's always more natural to try to get the PCs interested in an NPC out of their own initiative.

I always try to avoid obvious clues that bring about questions "How come nobody noticed this before the PCs?"

Totally Guy
2013-06-12, 10:44 AM
Does it matter who the PCs are for these situations?

Silus
2013-06-12, 12:25 PM
Does it matter who the PCs are for these situations?

Not particularly I don't think. They've not really made a name for themselves as anything overly special as of yet.

Kol Korran
2013-06-13, 10:37 AM
Not particularly I don't think. They've not really made a name for themselves as anything overly special as of yet.

It may not matter much who the PCs are, but it does matter who THE PLAYERS are- their interests, likes, dislikes, interests. (this starts to sound like a dating service. :smalltongue:, but I digress). A main issue in the second scene, and to a point in the first as well is getting the players motivated and interested, getting them TO CARE. Silus, if you can give us a brief description of your players it may help us help you.

That said, a few thoughts:

Golem issue
1. You first need a plausible reason that the golem doesn't simply goes out of the city, and also isn't easily found out- it's a golem after all! most D&D golesm are fairly powerful, and might be able to just kill and run away from the city, break walls, go to the harbor and go through water, and so on. But people might also recognize it easily and either call for more powerful reinforcements, or try to stop it themselves. So a few ideas:
- As mentioned above, the golem has some sort of a restrainign rune/ lock/ hold on it that doesn't let it break free yet.
- the golem isn't that powerful (more on the lever of a warforged rather than an iron golem), and thus can be easily destroyed.
- the golem has some other reason to stay in the city. maybe it wishes to free another? someone it perceives as a loved one? a child? (maybe the golem was used to makign golems?), a friend? (maybe he feels guilty at complicating someone's life by running away, and guilt keeps it from fully running?)
- The golem might have stealth or disguise ability to some degree, (maybe with a disguise self spell especially triggered to humanoids? or some other magical item?). The city authorities know of this skill/ magic/ power and are keeping an eye to it, especially at the exits of the city.
- Or the golem may have more friends than people know- perhaps secretive golem sympathizers? perhaps rival artificers and such? perhaps former automatons that escaped but the artificers sort of shushed up? These friends may help keep the golem safe and secret for now.

2. This is basically a mystery, only with several parties trying to figure it out, and possibly a time/ situation constraint. Still, I'd suggest to treat it as a mystery investigation. Read about the three clue rule (http://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/1118/roleplaying-games/three-clue-rule), as it can makes things much easier. On the whole I suggest having a few local and leads that the players might investigate, starting with the most obvious ones (Such as the place the golem escaped from, people in contact with it, places it was seen by the public, and what happened there, maybe tracking down eye witnesses and such). have each scene have 1-3 clues, not too obvious, some which may lead to other simple places/ people and such, and others that hint at the next series of scenes (you'll need at least 3 of these in separate places)- these could lead to somewhere the golem might have ran to, or maybe revealing some one who helped him, or maybe some ulterior motives of peoples and such. at the second series of clues, due something similar, which will then may lead to another series of clues, or to the golem's final location.

If you wish us to try and discuss more exact details of building this mystery, we can do that, But As I said I'll need to learn more of your players, and a bit more about any NPCs you already fleshed out, or a general idea of the golem's motives, and the people around it.

3. Have a few "floating scenes" ready, for when the players get stuck, or when you need to jostle them a bit, or break the pace a bit- Perhaps some anti golem hunters, not trustign the PCs, or goelm sympathizers, also (also not trusting the PCs), any of the golem aids, perhaps a mob calling for golem destruction and more. Perhpas even the golem itself, IF you can assure it gets away quickly enough. Drop these whenever the PCs are stuck (and then the confronting group may have some clue, or they may "run away" towards soemplace, and the PCs giving chase discover something new. Or when they need a fight or such or for...

4. Fluff scenerios. If I get this right, there are a lot of emotions involved in the golem getting free. Th population quite riled about it? try to put as many mini encounter/ mini NPCs giving out different views, opinions, and such about the matter. You can have the golem expressing itself by things he leaves in places: writings on walls, perhaps a delicate self made toy for a young child, or whatever shows it's character. Give the story life, but perhaps not make it so cut and clear. (Describe the widow who's husband was killed by a golem who malfunctioned, and it's spirit got loose, or another describing automatons inability to understand humanoid pain and suffering and such)

Last advice- If you haven't read Feet Of Clay from Terry Pratchet, I highly suggest it for this kind of scene. It deals with golems and their lives and rights in a city that treats them as unwanted automatons. Basically about a sort of slavery.

Singer Scene
1. In here it is much more vital to learn about the personalities of your players (not characters- players!) it may help us find a way for them to care more for the Singer. Without that my only suggestion is to try and make her a person the players like? :smallconfused: yeah, pretty lame and not that helpful, but it's all i've got.

2. as to the part of getting to the villain's lair, I suggest the same approach of dealing with a mystery- talking to people who knew her ("yeah, there was this fan who sounded like he's from X district..."), visiting the last place she was seen, maybe her house, maybe her writings and last songs that may have been influenced by this. again 3+ clues that lead to another place (perhaps the previous hideout, now disassembled by goons), the PCs may have a "referesher fight break" against something that stayed- perhaps undead, perhaps an outsider, perhaps a song elemental (is there such a thing?) and such, and then investigate again, leading them to the last place (I suggest an old haunted church believed to be haunted, which kind of explains for the strange sounds?) Again, if you detail what you got and how long you want the investigation to be we can work on details.

Silus
2013-06-13, 01:56 PM
It may not matter much who the PCs are, but it does matter who THE PLAYERS are- their interests, likes, dislikes, interests. (this starts to sound like a dating service. :smalltongue:, but I digress). A main issue in the second scene, and to a point in the first as well is getting the players motivated and interested, getting them TO CARE. Silus, if you can give us a brief description of your players it may help us help you.

Well we recently got a new player, so I don't really know what he'll be like, but the others can be summarized like this:

Sorcerer: A "senior" gamer, heavy RIFTS background, seems pretty chill. Gamer buddy of the Druid.

Druid: Apparently prone to "shenanigans". I was urged to just say "no" to most of the character concepts he put forth. Gamer buddy with Sorcerer. The two have decided to try and take over a town and eventually become nobility (Or at least kingdom owners).

Ranger: Not 100% sure on how this guy works. Seems to be chill with Sorcerer and Druid. Military background, likely the older of the 5 players. Out of town at present.

Magus: The geekiest of the group. Very, very chatty, but knows his Magus class like the back of his hand. Likely the one that will go along with the plot more so than the others.

Cleric: The new guy. I've not met him in person yet, but his character plans is to build up a false religion with him as a sort of living god.

That said, a few thoughts:

Golem issue
1. You first need a plausible reason that the golem doesn't simply goes out of the city, and also isn't easily found out- it's a golem after all! most D&D golesm are fairly powerful, and might be able to just kill and run away from the city, break walls, go to the harbor and go through water, and so on. But people might also recognize it easily and either call for more powerful reinforcements, or try to stop it themselves. So a few ideas:
- As mentioned above, the golem has some sort of a restrainign rune/ lock/ hold on it that doesn't let it break free yet.
- the golem isn't that powerful (more on the lever of a warforged rather than an iron golem), and thus can be easily destroyed.
- the golem has some other reason to stay in the city. maybe it wishes to free another? someone it perceives as a loved one? a child? (maybe the golem was used to makign golems?), a friend? (maybe he feels guilty at complicating someone's life by running away, and guilt keeps it from fully running?)
- The golem might have stealth or disguise ability to some degree, (maybe with a disguise self spell especially triggered to humanoids? or some other magical item?). The city authorities know of this skill/ magic/ power and are keeping an eye to it, especially at the exits of the city.
- Or the golem may have more friends than people know- perhaps secretive golem sympathizers? perhaps rival artificers and such? perhaps former automatons that escaped but the artificers sort of shushed up? These friends may help keep the golem safe and secret for now.

2. This is basically a mystery, only with several parties trying to figure it out, and possibly a time/ situation constraint. Still, I'd suggest to treat it as a mystery investigation. Read about the three clue rule (http://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/1118/roleplaying-games/three-clue-rule), as it can makes things much easier. On the whole I suggest having a few local and leads that the players might investigate, starting with the most obvious ones (Such as the place the golem escaped from, people in contact with it, places it was seen by the public, and what happened there, maybe tracking down eye witnesses and such). have each scene have 1-3 clues, not too obvious, some which may lead to other simple places/ people and such, and others that hint at the next series of scenes (you'll need at least 3 of these in separate places)- these could lead to somewhere the golem might have ran to, or maybe revealing some one who helped him, or maybe some ulterior motives of peoples and such. at the second series of clues, due something similar, which will then may lead to another series of clues, or to the golem's final location.

If you wish us to try and discuss more exact details of building this mystery, we can do that, But As I said I'll need to learn more of your players, and a bit more about any NPCs you already fleshed out, or a general idea of the golem's motives, and the people around it.

3. Have a few "floating scenes" ready, for when the players get stuck, or when you need to jostle them a bit, or break the pace a bit- Perhaps some anti golem hunters, not trustign the PCs, or goelm sympathizers, also (also not trusting the PCs), any of the golem aids, perhaps a mob calling for golem destruction and more. Perhpas even the golem itself, IF you can assure it gets away quickly enough. Drop these whenever the PCs are stuck (and then the confronting group may have some clue, or they may "run away" towards soemplace, and the PCs giving chase discover something new. Or when they need a fight or such or for...

4. Fluff scenerios. If I get this right, there are a lot of emotions involved in the golem getting free. Th population quite riled about it? try to put as many mini encounter/ mini NPCs giving out different views, opinions, and such about the matter. You can have the golem expressing itself by things he leaves in places: writings on walls, perhaps a delicate self made toy for a young child, or whatever shows it's character. Give the story life, but perhaps not make it so cut and clear. (Describe the widow who's husband was killed by a golem who malfunctioned, and it's spirit got loose, or another describing automatons inability to understand humanoid pain and suffering and such)

Last advice- If you haven't read Feet Of Clay from Terry Pratchet, I highly suggest it for this kind of scene. It deals with golems and their lives and rights in a city that treats them as unwanted automatons. Basically about a sort of slavery.

1. The general idea behind the golem's design is a lot like Orianna from League of Legend. Initially non-combat related and mostly as a way for a sad old man to try to bring his dead daughter back to life. Something goes funky, and now you have a very ornate and detailed Lifespark Clockwork Creature Human running about trying to find its way out of an Ankh-Morpork sized city without being spotted. Due to the human-size and raw detail that's been put into the features, it could pass for human with a robe and cloak, so there's that.

The golem likely has heard of the kindness of the entity known as "The Queen" who kind of holds the same quasi-religious awe as the Duchess from Prattchet's "Monstrous Regiment". If it's going to try to escape, it'll try to get to the Queen's palace in the outlying forest (A large semi run down castle in a massive Black Forest type area). Getting the golem out would involve a race through the streets on the back of a cart while either evading or fighting thugs trying to claim the golem for themselves.

2. Assistance would be greatly appreciated =O

4. An idea is that the PCs get some sort of clue that leads them to a shrine/temple to The Queen (The golem heard about The Queen and began asking...unusual questions, likely about life, death and faith). PCs get there, question whatever religious persons are on staff, and at some point an individual walks in and takes a seat. Purely fluff, but if they investigate the person, "you hear a light ticking and clicking noise coming from the person's robes". Likely to only throw this bone if it's showing that the PCs are getting annoyed with the mystery solving process.

Singer Scene
1. In here it is much more vital to learn about the personalities of your players (not characters- players!) it may help us find a way for them to care more for the Singer. Without that my only suggestion is to try and make her a person the players like? :smallconfused: yeah, pretty lame and not that helpful, but it's all i've got.

2. as to the part of getting to the villain's lair, I suggest the same approach of dealing with a mystery- talking to people who knew her ("yeah, there was this fan who sounded like he's from X district..."), visiting the last place she was seen, maybe her house, maybe her writings and last songs that may have been influenced by this. again 3+ clues that lead to another place (perhaps the previous hideout, now disassembled by goons), the PCs may have a "referesher fight break" against something that stayed- perhaps undead, perhaps an outsider, perhaps a song elemental (is there such a thing?) and such, and then investigate again, leading them to the last place (I suggest an old haunted church believed to be haunted, which kind of explains for the strange sounds?) Again, if you detail what you got and how long you want the investigation to be we can work on details.

1. Well knowing the players (or at least two of them), they'll see the singer as a stepping stone to political power :smallannoyed: Which, I guess is something if it'll get'em to help her (I'm not all that picky about their motivation to help the NPC as long as they help'em and proceed with the story).

2. Well, what I have thus far:

1. Singer buildup. Meet her, she asks for assistance in "taking care of" an overly rowdy fan or excessively underhanded rival Bard in a "I don't want to know" kinda way. Learns the PCs are reliable (maybe) and provides them a boon (free access to research material, contacts, partial ownership of a small business, etc.).
2. Players return to the city, find out that their bardic patron is 1) the Ruler of the Month and 2) very worried for her safety. She's been getting worrying reports of bards (mostly singers) going missing without a trace. Just snatched up in the night after a performance of from their homes. Requests that the PCs help and that she would give them whatever assistance they'd need to further their investigation (reward to be given if they ask).
3. Begin investigating the locations of the vanished bards. Slowly begin to find out that they're all in a general area to a structure (church, lighthouse, lighthouse church, etc). Report back to the the Singer, find out she's gone missing. Catch a glimpse of the kidnapper as they hop out the window with the knocked out Singer. Cue chase, kidnapper gets away.
4. Investigate the scene of the Singer's kidnapping, find a few clues to their next location (necklace torn off in the struggle, muddy footprint, scrap of clothing, etc.). Likely bardic collage where the PCs learn that the clothing's color and fabric are reminiscent of a teacher of antique music. Investigate the office, find a few open books hinting at a lost pipe organ but brush it off as little more than research.
5. PCs get the teacher's home address. Find the 'ol slasher wall with the strings connecting everything. Learn that the teacher is quite mad and that the pipe organ is more malevolent than they thought. The necklace they found turns out to be a holy symbol of sorts to some dead/sleeping deity of pain and torture (and music). Find a paper or something (map?) with the location of the organ (in the city limits). PCs set off to save the Singer and any other bards that live.
6. Arrive at the lair. A few sonic based traps and "simple" undead with a sonic template (make them deaf as well). Fight/sneak through, following the screams. Confront the BBEG (Wanna say Bard/Oracle for Pathfinder) and see the true horror of the Pain Organ. Fight breaks out, the PCs likely kill the BBEG (I HIGHLY doubt they'll go with the "bring the BBEG to justice" route) and save those bards that survived.

Kol Korran
2013-06-15, 02:20 AM
Well we recently got a new player, so I don't really know what he'll be like, but the others can be summarized like this:

Sorcerer: A "senior" gamer, heavy RIFTS background, seems pretty chill. Gamer buddy of the Druid.

Druid: Apparently prone to "shenanigans". I was urged to just say "no" to most of the character concepts he put forth. Gamer buddy with Sorcerer. The two have decided to try and take over a town and eventually become nobility (Or at least kingdom owners).

Ranger: Not 100% sure on how this guy works. Seems to be chill with Sorcerer and Druid. Military background, likely the older of the 5 players. Out of town at present.

Magus: The geekiest of the group. Very, very chatty, but knows his Magus class like the back of his hand. Likely the one that will go along with the plot more so than the others.

Cleric: The new guy. I've not met him in person yet, but his character plans is to build up a false religion with him as a sort of living god.
Hmmmm... not sure how much that can help. But we'll try and see. So far I Only see character motives to become a nobility for 2 players, and 1 wanting to create a false resligion... meh. Ok, we'll try and work with more general stuff.

1. The general idea behind the golem's design is a lot like Orianna from League of Legend. Initially non-combat related and mostly as a way for a sad old man to try to bring his dead daughter back to life. An old man trying to bring his dead daughter back to life? Like trying to put her soul or such into the golem, but it just enables to give it life, but not HER life? This could be soemthing great to work with!

Something goes funky, and now you have a very ornate and detailed Lifespark Clockwork Creature Human running about trying to find its way out of an Ankh-Morpork sized city without being spotted. Due to the human-size and raw detail that's been put into the features, it could pass for human with a robe and cloak, so there's that. Ok, so not a super powerful golem, and capable of merging into the populace. Got it.

The golem likely has heard of the kindness of the entity known as "The Queen" WHY does he wants to get to The Queen?

Getting the golem out would involve a race through the streets on the back of a cart while either evading or fighting thugs trying to claim the golem for themselves.This... seems like a very specific set piece you have in mind. You mean the PCs getting the golem out this way? What if they have other ideas? Or is this a scene where the PCs try to capture it? What if they catch it? (Since you have plans further down the road...) This highly relies on the PCs knowing the golem's means of escape, and acting on time, both of which can be problematic.

2. Assistance would be greatly appreciated =O
Ok, lets see. First the initial scene: I assume the PCs are hired by either the golem manufacturers or the Anti golem trust. This mostly colors what sort of access they may have to different locations- if they can get straight in or need to bluff/ trick their way.

General Concept: The master artificer tried to make his golem to be the rencarnation of his dead daughter, and tried to persuade said golem in this, but failed in that. The golem did however gain life, or something close enough to that. Petros, another now independent artificer helped the master artificer in his efforts, despite trying to dissuade him from bringing life to an inanimate object, as this is he Gods work. As the golem came to life he tried to put religion into the golem's mind, hoping it would lessen the sin. Unknown to all, Petros was blackmailed by the Anti golem trust, who used him as an informant. They had him sneak the golem outside, to get him to be destroyed. Petros however could not bring himself to do so, and let it free. The golem now seeks religion, hoping it might answer his questions. Unknown to most other than Petros, the golem has been trying to learn artificing himself, even contemplated building others of his kind.

I'll detail a few sources they may investigate, potential clues leading to other places, (by the 3 clues rule) and also potential fluff? This is my take on the situation, throwing a bit of my own ideas, feel free to change as you wish:
1) The golem foundry: (Problematic access to anti golem, though they may have some legal documents backing their investigation).
- Master artificer Grimwald: a guarded person, at both in grief of his "daughter's life" lost, and feeling he may have let an "unknown quality" on the street. He may be very hesitant to help the party, but may open up if they play their cards straight, though he won't tell of his idea to revive his daughter, unless he is pressed and confronted with it. This may prove like quite a conversation challenge.
Possible Clues:
- "I tried to teach it of the meaning of being alive, of existence, of the various gods and powers. It kept asking to meet a god... It didn't understand they are out of reach! He was interested in <inset name of local religion here>" (A long time clue towards the Queen, also a clue towards the local god's church)
- "Petros, my good friend helped me with this work. He knows this type of golem better than I do. He warned me this was a bad idea, that we shouldn't make them alive... But he helped me non theless. A good man." (Leads to another artificer, an independent one, that knows more of clock work golems. He is blackmailed by the anti golem trust, but they wish to keep this alliegance secret, even from the PCs. Too important a resource to lose).
- "It's room is locked, there is nothing there! please! live her, i mean it alone! Golem's have nothing, just a bit of odd scribling on the walls. words of madness." (leading to the golem's room obviously)

- Crafter Jeremiah, the assistant: Jeremiah was quite keen on the project, though he didn't know everything about the original intents of the master artificer. Gives more insights to working with the actual golem, teaching it, seeing it's inteligence, it's insight. Might be easier to chat him up, but he won't emhpasize the clues, not really knowing their importance.

Potential clues:
- "The master is very distraught, something is weighing heavily on him. I thought this was because of the disappearance, but come to think of it- this started some time before... Something didn't go right I guess. He is especially sad when going into it's room. You'll help him, won't you?" (leading to the golem's room)
- "The golem? please! You must help us find it! It's like nothing before! It is so intelligent, curious, exploring, wondering, asking questions, almost like it was an alive being? a bit like a child, a bit like an adult, rolled into one. Not QUITE like us of course, but closer than we've ever got! It even started reading some texts, I brough him some religious stuff he asked about." (hinting at the religious connection, the exact religious stuff could lead to the above mentioned church)
- "The master got help from Petros, a master artificer who worked here before. They had some arguments but Petros did help him. I haven't seen him since come to think of it...

The Golem's room: It is closed and may need breaking into (or persuading someone to let them in?) The Factory's authoroties would prefer as little info on the golem getting out, so the search may need to be hurried before a patrol comes about. The main purpose of the room I would imagine was to give some inkling as to the golem's personality and inner self debate and questions. A bit like in feet of Clay- the many writings on the walls and so on, but also with some... other touches:
-Potential clues:
- Writings on walls: Here is the debate, scribbled up with childlike writing, but with profound questions such as "Am I alive?", "What is life?", "Who holds the answers?", "Am I dead?" "What is a god?!?" and so on. amongst other things (may need a search or decipher script skill?) there are some odd sentences: "I am? or not? Annet?", "His child or my own?", "I cannot make children? but he made me?", Finally "It will make us alive! Only it has the power!" "Q or <initial of the church he was interested in>? who first?" (leading to the clue it may want to make more of it's own, and some sort of divinity)
- Oddly enough for a golem's room, there may be all kind of... girlish/ lady like items here- perhaps a few stuffed animals, perhaps a few dresses, and so on. (Or if this was so secret, maybe in closet and such). These look old, very unused and preserved, but some are also slashed, torn and mangled. There is even one mirror, with the name Glinda inscribed above it. But the mirror is smashed, and a writing on the wood beneath reveals "Who Am I Grimwald? Did she have your answers? Do I?" which may lead to a more direct confrontation with the master. (And to Grimwald's house as well)
- Behind the hidden panel: Some basic manuscript on golem crafting and theories, But the writer's initial are scribed of at most places, but in one or two books the childlike hand write of the golem added "friend Petros"

(You may add other sources, such as the guards, possibly other golems who worked with the golem at the workshop, and so on)

2) Clues in the city
After gaining some clues, we have 2 main venues to explore: Petros house and also the church of convenient-god-of-life-or-such. Another possible place is Grimwald's house, though I only mentioned it in one clue, you may add another. My suggestion is that if the party is pensive, add a potential "tension building" scene at the start: Either Anti golem activists ambushin the PCs, or if they ARE working for the anti golem party, then city guards coming after them. Anyway I suggest they get into some riots in the streets, calling for "Death to the non living!/ "Down with golem blasphemy!" and so on, people enraged, telling their sad tale of "Golem ate my baby!" and what not.

Then, when they get to either Petros' house or the church, a Battle ensues, with the golem Appearing as well. Each location has a potential battle scene, and what they can learn from investigating inside.

The Church
I suggest setting this not in the middle of a communion or such. A fairly small attendance currently, when the PCs are visiting, and if possible- with the high/ powerful/ high level priests not currently attending.

Battle possibility: The PCs start asking questions, and but the golem is allready there, trying to be inconspicuous (Similar to the scene you described at the Queen's temple, only... another temple). It might be that one party member suspects it, when suddenly a group of anti golem hunting party barge in: "There it is!" and try to get the golem.

Now, even if the party were hired by the anti golem group, this is a rival party and they don't like competition, so it's a "free for all". This could go a few ways:
- If they try to capture the golem, have the two hunting parties sort of get in each other's way (the rival party has enough numbers to try and stop the PCs while pursuing the golem), but leave the golem some quick way out, perhaps with the help of it's confessor (An allied priest, see later).
-If they try to help the golem, then there IS NO easy way out, and they must face the anti golem group, and then find some way to hide, and QUICKLY! (Guards tend to come fast to problems in temples).

Investigations:
In any case, either after the battle, before, or if it's the second place they investigate, the party can gain some clues.
Neutral to golems priest:
The priest will answer the groups' questions, but won't provide too much extra information. (simple conversational challenge)
- "There was a bit of an odd person here. He asked existential questions, but seemed quite frustrated that we didn't give simple answers. He seemed quite nervous. You should talk to Brother Malik, he is the young man's confessor as of yesterday." (Towards Malik)
- "The young man also asked questions about the (east? north? west? closest to the forest) gate. He seemed to seek some sort of guide to the forest?" (shrugs his shoulders)

Malik the confessor:
This younger priest talked to the golem, and recognized it's nature, but didn't reveal it. He was hoping to bring it into religion. He highly suspect the PCs wish to hunt the golem and harm it, and thus will not volunteer information unless persuaded they are not harmful.
- "Yes, he seeks answers, as we all do. But he believes the gods are easily accessible. I do not think he will be persuaded otherwise. He seeks the Queen now, I hope he'll find his answers."
- "He also seeks some sort of a father figure, a man called Petros, for something he says "the making?" I'm not sure, but he speaks of it as if longing for a child. Quite sad really.
- "The guards at the gate will be most likely to recognize and stop him. Escape will not be easy, I think he is trying to <insert clue of an escape plan to try>"

Petros house:
Petros has left, fearing both the anti golem group's wrath, as well as finding himself highly conflicted about the golem. But his house holds clues. If the party didn't yet had the fight scene in the church, have it here, with golem and anti golem rival group, in a similar way. possible clues:
- The mould and sketches. in a back room there is a special mould, seemingly to craft a very human-figure golem, with various plans and sketches near it, with technical notes, but also scribbling like :"Can it be? transference of life seed from one to the other?!", "Not there yet, but close", "It's pain. it's a most human thing, can I ignore it?" and such.
- If the rival group didn't give it away, then maybe some clue as to Petros involvement in all of this, perhaps a burned journal with 1-2 pages escaping, giving enough idea.
- A detailed map with the queen's residence marked, as well as the local of some escape route, with "will he make it?" near it.
- Other stuff to add atmosphere?

3) Escape route and the Queen's palace:
This are more straightforward, in a way. The party either tries to stop the golem (And then I suggest he may use the same place, but a different method of escaping? giving them a chase?) or tries to help him (In which case they find that their plans may have been found out, and that they need to improvise). Or they could just await the Golem at The Queen's palace. Since I don't quite know what you have planned for that place (I didn't get to read monstrous regiment yet unfortunately), That is left to you. Petros may appear to help, Or an elite Assasin may come. The golem might need help in creating more of it's own, (More than one ally in the future!) and so on and so on...

I didn't go into the singer scene for now, it's enough writing for me today... I may get to that later. good luck!

Silus
2013-06-15, 03:31 AM
I will squirrel this away for when I run this campaign again (turns out that half the players are Lawful Evil and out for power and money). The players in question opted to turn in the golem to the guild and kill the golem's compatriot (and dump the body in the river).

So for the "after party" I'm gonna have them, eventually, be commissioned by the Queen to reclaim the golem (In a "we need it for reasons" kinda way). They'll eventually find her/it in one of the deeper workshops, cut in half and partially dismantled, arms chained to the ceiling supports and oil dripping from her/its eyes and mouth. She'll be mumbling something that can only be properly heard when the players get closer:

"Please, no more. I'll be good, I promise. I'll behave, just stop taking me apart..."

It was briefly touched on that the golem, despite the magical limitations, can feel pain. And the engineers were taking her apart. While she was awake. And aware. And could feel every touch of the blowtorch and turn of the saw.

Me: *Smiles at the players* "Yes, you turned her over to a very brief life of pain and torture. But the money was nice, wasn't it?"

And then panicked screams of terror when they try to touch her, with more begging for the pain and dismantling to stop.

I want them to feel like monsters.

*Evil laugh*

WHY does he wants to get to The Queen?

Well the golem has heard about the apparent benevolence and goodness of the Queen and thinks that if it can get to her, it can claim sanctuary.

Kol Korran
2013-06-16, 01:43 PM
Hmmmm... It might be cool to try that. Question is: Did they realize what they were doing when they handed the Golem away? Did they think it was just an artificial mindless thing, or did they have some sort of understanding that it was, in fact, quite alive?

This sounds quite interesting really! Your players seem to be taking this in an unexpected direction? (From what I gather). It seems my suggestion came to late though... damn real life responsibilities and such! (shaking fist in mighty anger! :smallfurious: ) It's a bit late here, but I'll give the singer scene a read and see if my wrankled mind can come up with something this time of night...

Edit: The singer scene seems very nicely constructed, Though I'd be worried about two issues: The party not reporting to the singer once they find clues, but trying to pursue them to the bitter end before reporting back. I suggest one of the leads leading back to her, something like marking her on some play, or some creepy reference that only she can make sense of (With hinting towards her. something like "An unfinished sonnet for Singer X: "creepy creepy little poem, will you make something out of me?"") Also- chase scenes are always dangerous to rely one, since PCs often come up with surprises that ruin the chase, and DO NOT enable the villain to escape. Plan well.

Anything else you needed help with? I'm not quite sure what you find missing? Hooking them in?