PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Help with becoming Dragon Disciple

Hamste
2013-06-11, 03:48 PM
Recently my friend has started up a game and seeing a need for a tank I made a Tiefling fighter.
My ability scores are:
Str:16
Dex:18
Con:14
Int:14
Cha:5
Wis:12

I have decided since then I want to eventually go into Dragon Disciple. The problem is, all the spontaneous casters and archetypes I can find seem to require charisma to cast and as you can see that is a no go. The only one I can find seems to require me to take the arcane bloodline and therefore makes me ineligible for the class.

We have 4 party members all level one still. There is a Sage Sorcerer, a paladin, and two fighters (one of which is me) in the party so we do have access to some spell casting if that is needed.

There is some unfortunate requirements though. I would rather it not involve me investing a lot of my wealth into it (head band of alluring charisma +6 is out) and that it was done before I reach level 6 (so I can take the class as soon as possible). It can only be achieved through a core class or base class made by paizo that is on the srd or has an online source. Archetypes published by paizo (again it has to be on the srd or has an online source) are allowed. Feats, items and spells on paizo (with the same requirements mentioned before) are ok. The DM has basically ok'd me to use any cheesy solution possible to get it, I just need to be able to cast the level one spell when I level up.

...also before this comes up. Yes, I do realize my character is going to be (or is) horribly unoptimized.

Jormengand
2013-06-11, 03:59 PM
Don't be a PF DD. The stat boosts have been nerfed horribly, and you're better off acquiring (It's acquired or inherited!) the half-dragon template and then you will actually be able to cast 9th level spells if you reach ECL 20, you will have better stat boosts, and the difference in HD is almost outweighed by the difference in CON. Just my 2cp.

EDIT: Didn't see the bit about fighter. In this case, definitely don't be a DD.

Hamste
2013-06-11, 04:26 PM
I doubt the DM will let me become a half-dragon. It would mess up the power levels a lot. I know becoming a DD is not the most optimized choice but none of the group is even close to optimized.

Carth
2013-06-11, 04:45 PM
You don't have your wisdom listed, but a crossblooded wildblooded empyreal sorcerer would use wisdom as their casting stat, or a crossblooded wildblooded sage sorcerer would use int as their casting stat. Assuming the other sorcerer in your party is going to stick to being more of a traditional caster, I doubt they'd think you were stepping on their toes. You'd only need 1 level of sorcerer, then you could be a fighter or something until jumping into DD.

Jormengand
2013-06-11, 04:49 PM
I doubt the DM will let me become a half-dragon. It would mess up the power levels a lot. I know becoming a DD is not the most optimized choice but none of the group is even close to optimized.

In that case, let me have a look...

Take a single level in Bard so that you can inspire courage and other funnies - you'll also have CLWs on your list - so you have that 1/day which could be useful out of combat if you're low on health - and then just put skill points into K (Arcana) and speaking draconic. Unfortunately, there is no way to go there before LV 6 as all your skill points need to be hard skill points rather than class skill bonuses.

EDIT: You could also request the 3.5 version of DD, maybe. Enjoy your 3rd level spells, by the way.

Hamste
2013-06-11, 04:49 PM
You don't have your wisdom listed, but a crossblooded wildblooded empyreal sorcerer would use wisdom as their casting stat, or a crossblooded wildblooded sage sorcerer would use int as their casting stat. Assuming the other sorcerer in your party is going to stick to being more of a traditional caster, I doubt they'd think you were stepping on their toes. You'd only need 1 level of sorcerer, then you could be a fighter or something until jumping into DD.

Oops I missed that, edited it in (it's 12). I am allowed to take more than one archetype on a character?

Carth
2013-06-11, 04:50 PM
Oops I missed that, edited it in (it's 12). I am allowed to take more than one archetype on a character?

Yes, as long as you're not trading away the same thing twice.

Hamste
2013-06-11, 04:52 PM
I did not know that. :smallsmile: Thank you, I will probably go with that (also thanks for the new information on archetypes. That could be useful in the future).

Jormengand
2013-06-11, 04:54 PM
I did not know that. :smallsmile: Thank you, I will probably go with that (also thanks for the new information on archetypes. That could be useful in the future).

You can also take a feat which changes your PCS, but I don't remember the name.