PDA

View Full Version : Musical Instrument Prices

Salt&Burn
2013-06-11, 04:13 PM
I've been looking everywhere for individual prices for musical instruments, but I can't seem to find them! If anyone has any clue where they actually are, a link would be phenomenal! All I have are the simple ones from the core book, and the additions - like waterproofing, etc. - from Song and Silence. :(

Malvanis
2013-06-11, 05:10 PM
There are a lot of instruments in Song and Silence. I also think there are some in Complete Adventurer though I may be mistaken.

Salt&Burn
2013-06-11, 05:57 PM
True there are many listed, but no individual prices. :(

Malvanis
2013-06-11, 07:07 PM
i think there might be prices listed in Song and Silence.

Salt&Burn
2013-06-11, 07:11 PM
I've already looked, and I don't see any - http://merung.net/DandD3.5/3.5%20D&D%20Books/Song%20and%20Silence.pdfv

I've looked through everything, and all I see that have prices are the weapons and thieving gear. So I'm trying to find out if there's a homebrew or somewhere else that might have them listed.

Palanan
2013-06-11, 07:17 PM
There's a number of instruments in Complete Adventurer, most of which have descriptive text copied and pasted directly from the corresponding entries in Song and Silence. Neither book lists prices for the instruments.

And in both books, there's a brief passage buried deep in the text which indicates that for all their detailed descriptions of the instruments and their sounds, the bardic music effects are only activated with a masterwork version of the instrument.

So, on p. 128 of the PHB, under "Tools and Skill Kits," masterwork instruments are listed as going for 100 gp. I'd use this as a base price, and modify as appropriate for some of the more elaborate or exotic instruments, such as the alphorn or the pipe organ. In those cases, probably "DM's best guess" is all you can hope for.

Vedhin
2013-06-11, 07:18 PM
The SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#musicalInstrumentCommonorMast erwork) has you covered!

Salt&Burn
2013-06-11, 07:31 PM
Already checked the SRD, but thanks. I suppose I'll just have to adjust via my own preferences. Thanks for the help, though guys and gals! Great to know there's a reliable place to come for aid.

If anyone does find more, let me know! Thank you!

nyjastul69
2013-06-11, 07:39 PM
Goods and Gear (http://www.kenzerco.com/product_info.php?cPath=25_28_44&products_id=543) is a 3rd party d20 supplement by Kenzer and Co. that has a lengthy list of musical instruments. I don't know if this is the type of thing you're looking for though.

Fyermind
2013-06-11, 08:08 PM
they aren't priced individually. PHB and SRD have "Musical instrument" and "Masterwork Musical Instrument" priced.

Malvanis
2013-06-11, 08:53 PM
All these books that we are mentioning have a long list of musical instruments in them but they don't have prices in them. He wants the prices. I think there is a base price for an instrument in the PHB but to me it doesn't make sense that a lute costs as much as a church organ.

nyjastul69
2013-06-11, 09:06 PM
All these books that we are mentioning have a long list of musical instruments in them but they don't have prices in them. He wants the prices. I think there is a base price for an instrument in the PHB but to me it doesn't make sense that a lute costs as much as a church organ.

The Goods and Gear book I linked to in my previous post does in fact list prices. I didn't make that clear in my post.

Edit: There are several things I should have mentioned about Goods and Gear. The first is that it is a dual statted book listing stats for both d20 compatible games and HackMaster. The HackMaster stats are for HM 4th edition based on the resolution mechanics of 1st and 2nd Ed. AD&D. It is not based on the mechanics of their 5th Ed. HM, which is the current HM. There were no HM's 1-3. :smallbiggrin: The d20 prices range from 1sp to 250 gp's. While there is no pipe organ, there is an organetto, a portable pipe organ if you will. Some of the instruments give static modifiers to skill checks, saves and/or bardic music.

Palanan
2013-06-11, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by Malvanis
All these books that we are mentioning have a long list of musical instruments in them but they don't have prices in them. ...I think there is a base price for an instrument in the PHB but to me it doesn't make sense that a lute costs as much as a church organ.

Song and Silence and Complete Adventurer both specify that the instruments need to be masterwork before they grant the abilities described. This defaults to the masterwork price listed on p. 128 of the PHB.

Clearly the designers weren't thinking about outsized instruments, but the pipe organ is an exception in the instruments listed. Most of them are pretty typical instruments that can be easily carried. The 5 gp base price is for your standard six-string, and the 100 gp masterwork is for a Fender Stratocaster.

(There's also a Greater Fender Stratocaster that casts Glitterdust at will, but it's purple.)