PDA

View Full Version : Ideas (more in thread, dont want to spoil it for my players)

Crake
2013-06-11, 06:48 PM
Ok, so to start off, the obligatory MY PLAYERS STAY OUT unless you wanna ruin the next few sessions (and maybe more, not to mention my wrath)

Ok so anyway. My game is running in an e6 survival horror setting/plot. But the world wasn't always that way. It used to be a high magic setting until a certain event, which is irrelevant to this thread, but after this event magic became less and less used and eventually the setting became e6

ANYWAY, a little background to help understand. Basically the players are about to enter a tomb-y-crypt-y place. But little do they know. This place is actually a planar maze sort of place. Basically think the computer game Antichamber or the movie cube 2 (yeah yeah, I know it was a horrible movie) and that's the sort of feel I want it to have. But the kicker is the exit actually spits out out exactly 1000 years into the past (going through the maze backwards spits out 1000 years into the future, but you can only go backwards through the maze if you've already been through it forwards, so no going 1000 years into the future from your initial time).

Basically the purpose of this is to give my players some exposition through the past as to what is going on in the present. Also it will be super fun to roleplay :smallbiggrin:

But! What I need I lots of extradimensional puzzles to put together into this maze. I already have a few in mind.

A never ending corridor; after you enter it whenever you turn around there's a wall behind you. To solve it, you need to face the wall and walk backwards until the wall is out of sight, then you bump into a door behind you.

A room with a single archway standing in the center. The archway leads to two different areas depending on which side you walk through it (you can see through the archway too, its not just a shimmering curtain of light).

A short maze of corridors that take you back to the start until you take the correct turns.

Malvanis
2013-06-11, 07:00 PM
Maybe you could use portals from the Farun settings. You could perhaps put in a maze of portals. It's a maze within a maze.

Waker
2013-06-11, 07:13 PM
Not sure if you've read this before, but it might give you some ideas for making an odd dungeon. The section on tesseracts in particular might go with the odd space/time thing you've got going on.

mattie_p
2013-06-11, 08:42 PM
From the legend of zelda (the original 8 bit version) is the lost woods, you had to travel through the area in a specific order (up, left, down, left, IIRC) in order to pass through to the other side. Going right backed you out. You pass through the same room each time until traversing the correct order, which brought you to a new area. Similarly, there was the mountainous region where you had to go "up" (or north) four times to get to the secret area.

EDIT : put in the Konami code somehow.

Malvanis
2013-06-11, 08:49 PM
You could put a stone with riddles on it in the beginning of the dungeon. The answers to these riddles could be a hint to how the puzzles are completed. It seems like a fun way to challenge your character brains like you seem like you want to do, though it also gives them some help if they can't figure the puzzle out.

Crake
2013-06-12, 05:58 AM
Not sure if you've read this before, but it might give you some ideas for making an odd dungeon. The section on tesseracts in particular might go with the odd space/time thing you've got going on.

This gave me a bunch of useful ideas! Thanks for the link.

From the legend of zelda (the original 8 bit version) is the lost woods, you had to travel through the area in a specific order (up, left, down, left, IIRC) in order to pass through to the other side. Going right backed you out. You pass through the same room each time until traversing the correct order, which brought you to a new area. Similarly, there was the mountainous region where you had to go "up" (or north) four times to get to the secret area.

EDIT : put in the Konami code somehow.

That's pretty much how I was gonna have the maze room work, only I'm gonna have it dump them out into 3 different rooms depending on the sequence of turns they take, and it would be keyed of turns rather than using rooms with doors.

You could put a stone with riddles on it in the beginning of the dungeon. The answers to these riddles could be a hint to how the puzzles are completed. It seems like a fun way to challenge your character brains like you seem like you want to do, though it also gives them some help if they can't figure the puzzle out.

I've never REALLY been one for riddles, my players are pretty good at figuring them out that I've never really had one that's managed to stump them.

Waker
2013-06-12, 06:01 AM
I've never REALLY been one for riddles, my players are pretty good at figuring them out that I've never really had one that's managed to stump them.

You might avoid the usual riddle and instead have it contain a clue as to how to navigate the dungeon. Like having part of it mention the room where you walk backwards or give some hint as to the order that you need to enter rooms.

Crake
2013-06-12, 07:51 AM
You might avoid the usual riddle and instead have it contain a clue as to how to navigate the dungeon. Like having part of it mention the room where you walk backwards or give some hint as to the order that you need to enter rooms.

fair enough, I'll have to find a way to integrate them together, but if it works it could be pretty cool.