PDA

View Full Version : Silly question

Immabozo
2013-06-11, 07:41 PM
If you had a feat, and something gives you a bonus as if you had that feat, they would not stack, right?

Waker
2013-06-11, 07:44 PM
It depends on the feat. Having Power Attack more than once wouldn't do anything, but duplicates of Toughness would stack.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-06-11, 08:13 PM
Bonuses from the same source do not stack unless explicitly stated. Duplicate feats would be the same source and wouldn't stack. Feats that stack like toughness say they stack in the feat description.

Malvanis
2013-06-11, 08:16 PM
yeah, it depends on the feat.

Immabozo
2013-06-11, 08:54 PM
So Improved Unarmed Strike that give another attack at -10 wouldn't stack?

karkus
2013-06-11, 09:26 PM
Well, for most prestige classes, it says that

1) You gain no benefit :smallfrown:

2) You can trade in your old feat for a new one on the spot :smallsigh:

3) You gain either a stack-based bonus (Great Cleave in a cleaving PrC gives you let's say +5 to confirm hits with extra attacks granted by Cleave) or the bonuses actually stack (Improved Grapple in a wrestling PrC gives you not only +4 but +8 to grapple checks)! :smallbiggrin:

Humble Master
2013-06-11, 09:31 PM
Some feats say that you can gain them multiple times and that their effects stack. Those feats stack, others don't.

BowStreetRunner
2013-06-11, 09:41 PM
Having the feat Improved Unarmed Strike (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#improvedUnarmedStrike) more than once has no effect normally. If something happened that caused you to lose one source of the feat, you would still have the other one of course. Since Improved Unarmed Strike has no prerequisites, it is unlikely you would lose access to the feat, unless you have it from a magic item.

As for the reference to another attack at -10, I am not sure what you are getting at here. You can apply Improved Unarmed Strike to all of your iterative attacks, so if you have a BAB of +6 and get a second attack at +1, you can use both with Improved Unarmed Strike.

The Viscount
2013-06-11, 10:13 PM
So Improved Unarmed Strike that give another attack at -10 wouldn't stack?

Are you thinking of a specific example? I'm confused by what you mean here.

Immabozo
2013-06-11, 10:27 PM
As for the reference to another attack at -10, I am not sure what you are getting at here. You can apply Improved Unarmed Strike to all of your iterative attacks, so if you have a BAB of +6 and get a second attack at +1, you can use both with Improved Unarmed Strike.

Are you thinking of a specific example? I'm confused by what you mean here.

I said the wrong feat. I meant Improved Two Weapon Fighting. Reading to much on feats recently, haha

KillianHawkeye
2013-06-11, 10:33 PM
I said the wrong feat. I meant Improved Two Weapon Fighting. Reading to much on feats recently, haha

Getting a second instance of ITWF does not grant a third off-hand attack at -10. For that, you need Greater TWF.

BowStreetRunner
2013-06-11, 10:54 PM

This is actually one of the examples where it is possible to lose a feat. The example I have in mind is a 6th-level ranger who has chosen the two-weapon combat style but wears medium or heavy armor. By wearing the armor he loses the Two-Weapon Fighting and Improved Two-Weapon Fighting feats granted by his class features. However, if he also had picked up both of these feats from some other source, the second instance of each would continue to function.

Otherwise, having the feat a second time does nothing.

nyjastul69
2013-06-11, 11:23 PM
This is actually one of the examples where it is possible to lose a feat. The example I have in mind is a 6th-level ranger who has chosen the two-weapon combat style but wears medium or heavy armor. By wearing the armor he loses the Two-Weapon Fighting and Improved Two-Weapon Fighting feats granted by his class features. However, if he also had picked up both of these feats from some other source, the second instance of each would continue to function.

Otherwise, having the feat a second time does nothing.

Nitpick: the ranger in question does not lose the feats. The ranger in question loses access to the feats under said caveats. The feat/s remain. Once the limiting factor/s are mitigated the feat/s function normally.

Immabozo
2013-06-12, 12:10 AM
Getting a second instance of ITWF does not grant a third off-hand attack at -10. For that, you need Greater TWF.

So if a Ranger has Two Weapon fighting, an item granting "as if you had Imp two weapon fighting" could you qualify for Greater TWF?

Or if you have TWF and imp TWF, can said item grant greater TWF?

nyjastul69
2013-06-12, 12:22 AM
So if a Ranger has Two Weapon fighting, an item granting "as if you had Imp two weapon fighting" could you qualify for Greater TWF?

It might help if you give an example of the item in question.

TuggyNE
2013-06-12, 01:10 AM

Maybe; it depends on whether your DM considers semi-permanent items/spells/etc to qualify you for prerequisites.

Not generally, no.

Immabozo
2013-06-12, 01:26 AM
It might help if you give an example of the item in question.

I am looking at Gloves of the Balanced Hand (MIC pg 105)

eggynack
2013-06-12, 01:30 AM
I am looking at Gloves of the Balanced Hand (MIC pg 105)
I don't think that's going to do what you want it to. I don't even think it technically gives you any of the feats in the line. It just gives you the effects of them. In any case, it's pretty clear cut. It gives you two weapon fighting from nothing, improved two weapon fighting from two weapon fighting, and that's it.

BowStreetRunner
2013-06-12, 10:04 AM
I don't think that's going to do what you want it to. I don't even think it technically gives you any of the feats in the line. It just gives you the effects of them. In any case, it's pretty clear cut. It gives you two weapon fighting from nothing, improved two weapon fighting from two weapon fighting, and that's it.

So a 2nd level ranger with the two-weapon combat style in light armor would gain improved two-weapon fighting, but if he put on heavy armor he would only get two-weapon fighting from the gloves.

Immabozo
2013-06-12, 11:45 AM
So a 2nd level ranger with the two-weapon combat style in light armor would gain improved two-weapon fighting, but if he put on heavy armor he would only get two-weapon fighting from the gloves.

I think I am gonna have to re-work my character to find more feats, haha. Thanks