PDA

View Full Version : Monster Hunting for arms and armour

tzar1990
2013-06-11, 07:48 PM
Having recently played... Well, lets go with far too much Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, I'm in the mood for a system that would allow you to pull of similar things in Pathfinder / 3.5

For those not in the know, Monster Hunter is a game in which you hunt monsters, take whichever of their body parts are useful, and forge them into arms and armour to hunt bigger, nastier, deadlier monsters. You go from hunting Jaggi (http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Jaggi) (little raptor-like dinos, probably about CR 1 or 1/2), to the Jhen Mohran (http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Jhen_Mohran), a monster whose teeth are larger than you are, and must be hunted with a fleet of sandships.

I feel that allowing players to craft weapons and armor from monster parts could give them a reason to want to kill the big stupid monsters, and provide an excuse for how you get a cool sword out of a Bulette or something similar.

If you were going about this, what would you do? On one hand, I feel I should be generous about what they get, since they'll need to pay a blacksmith to make the weaponry. On the other hand, I feel I can be stingy, since they'll be able to make weaponry tailored for them, rather than getting random loot.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-06-11, 07:54 PM
Hmmm... if you have the Draconomicon handy, there's rules for dragoncraft items made out of the dragon's body presented there. Dragon Magic also has dweomered scales, small items made from dragon scales that provide specific benefits.

nyjastul69
2013-06-11, 07:56 PM
I don't have any specific suggestions other than bulettes should be made into shields not swords. I believe 1st Ed D&D allowed for that. I'll have to check.

Edit: I was correct. The plates behind a bulette's head were highly prized for making shields. A skilled dwarven craftsman could make a +1 to +3 shield with them.

Rhynn
2013-06-11, 08:01 PM
I'd go fairly ad-hoc. Use Pathfinder, each monster is worth up to its XP value in "crafting credit" to make magic (or pseudo-magic, whatever) items, but only relatively specific items (red dragons can be worked into fire-resistant armor and flaming weapons, etc.).

Doorhandle
2013-06-11, 11:50 PM
I'd go fairly ad-hoc. Use Pathfinder, each monster is worth up to its XP value in "crafting credit" to make magic (or pseudo-magic, whatever) items, but only relatively specific items (red dragons can be worked into fire-resistant armor and flaming weapons, etc.).

You know that pathfinder has no XP cost for crafting magical items, right?

So what exactly are they getting?

Rhynn
2013-06-11, 11:57 PM
You know that pathfinder has no XP cost for crafting magical items, right?

So what exactly are they getting?

I do. They cost gp. Ergo, you get gp credit. (Still have to make the roll.)