PDA

View Full Version : Blood for the Troll God

Mhelisis
2013-06-11, 07:57 PM
OOC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15396832#post15396832)

Sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=588660) (Uber Barbarian (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227466)/Troll (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=2632.0))

Troll society (as described by the Troll himself):
In most worlds, Trolls are raiders and savages. Not so much in this one.

While their civilization is primarily small groups or loners with a primarily hunter/gatherer technology level, with some small amount of suplemental herding in the larger clans. But the fact is that they do not have any mining or smithing abillity, and little tolorance for large fires.

The reason many have metal gear and tools is simple enough, though offworlders would find it very, very odd.

Trolls regularly take mercenary work in exchange for metal tools, weapons, and armor. In fact, the greatest employers are the Dwarf kingdoms with their near seasonal conflicts with the orcs and goblins, and have adopted several dwarven manners and customs. For the most part, few trolls speak 'common' but many more speak dwarven, and Dwarvencraft weapons are prized above almost all others, and the pub is almost a second temple in the larger clan holds.

The greatest troll 'City' is the great camp of Shatter-Craig, which holds nearly 200 trolls, and serves as there poltical, spiritual and economic center. It is here the dwarf recruiters come to hire clans, here the "High Chief" the trolls highest legal authority makes judgements and holds counsil with the far flung clans scattered throughout the mountianious forests. It is here where the only real solid structure, the Great Arena, which serves as a temple to one of the three great gods of the Trolls, Kord. The other relgious cereimonies are held at the nearby grove for Ehlonna and Obad-Hai.

But overall, the Trolls are a strong warrior culture, with great stock being placed on honor and self-reliance, as well as sound ecological management and respect for the natural world.

The warfare between the Dwarves/Orcs+Goblins is kind of like a winter storm. Its something that happens sometimes, little to no warning, it just happens. An almost seasonal event.

The world:
Request: a war torn-world, involving orcs and trolls.

What is the climate of the planet like?

Action: 52 Adjourn
Subject: 4 Outside

It's a world with very long nights (22 hours) and short days (2 hours). Consequently, it's very cold, much to the trolls liking. The orcs have evolved into arctic orcs (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/environmentalRacialVariants.htm#arcticOrcs).

Are trolls the leader?

Odds: Likely (since they have a higher CR)
Roll: 53

Yes. Trolls are the leaders, and orcs are the infantry.

Who is at war with them?

Action: 2 Starting
Subject: 48 Block

The minotaurs, who particularly like to charge orcs with their horns. On one side, the dwarves are battling an army of orcs and goblins. On the other, trolls and their arctic orc minions are against the minotaurs.

Are there other races in the world?

Odds: 50/50
Roll: 1
Answer: exceptional yes

Yes! All of the common races live there (humans, elves, etc.)

Where do the trolls live?

Action: 68 Carelessness
Subject: 98 Fame

In a humble wooden fortress.

What is the main characteristic of the fortress?

Action: 29 Take
Subject: 36 Bureaucracy

The fortress has an unexpectedly organised society for chaotic races.

What are the laws like?

Action: 17 Antagonise
Subject: 41 Stalemate

They force its inhabitants to have a good career. It's forbidden to be idle. It's even forbidden to be drunk or use drugs.

Is everyone a warrior?

Roll: 4

Yes! Orcs and trolls have never known a different lifestyle.

Where do they get their food?

Action: 15 Gratify
Subject: 63 Power

They power-abuse the neighbouring nations and force them to pay a toll of food in order not to be conquered. Those nations are in a state of semi-serfdom.

Custom fort info (from OOC thread):
Those question were asked at the beginning of page 3.

I cannot find any official price for wood, so I'm going to calculate it using Pathfinder's guide (Raw materials typically cost somewhere between 5% and 10% of the construct’s base price.) to golems.

"Raw materials typically cost somewhere between 5% and 10% of the construct’s base price." (average 7.5%)

Wood golem has a cost of 8,800 gp (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/constructs/golem/golem-wood).

8,800 gp x 7.5% = 660 gp.

"The pieces of a wood golem are assembled from blocks of fine wood and sprinkled with rare powders and crushed herbs worth at least 300 gp."

Substracting the cost of the herbs, that makes it 360 gp.

"A wood golem stands 6-1/2 feet tall and weighs 400 pounds."

That makes it 360 gp / 400 lbs = 9 silver / lbs

Going with this (http://www.mahalo.com/answers/can-a-pine-tree-weigh-more-than-tonne), I will say that a random Mok Troll Forest pine tree weighs 500 lbs + 1d20 x 10 lbs (max 700 lbs).

With your Str, a medium load is 67 lbs and a heavy load is 134 lbs (max 200 lbs). Both medium and heavy load reduce your 40 ft speed to 30 ft. I normally don't care for capacity but here this is a special case. Other modifiers found here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/carryingCapacity.htm#tableCarryingLoads).

Well, a few things that raise the value of wood:

1) Dwarves are scared of trees and they avoid them.

2) GM Emulator ruled that all trolls are fighters. Grug is possibly the first troll lumberjack in history.

3) Humans have no safe trade road with the dwarves.

Been looking at price modifers for strong holds. And as I'm going for a wooden fort..

Cold; +5%
Forest; -10% for wood walls
1-16 miles from a small town/village; +2%
Natural feature that impedes movement; +2%
Site in a lawless area; -10%
Nearby potential income source; +5%
Total; -6%stronghold costs
Size; Going to be roughly 12 Stronghold spaces, more as I can afford it. Will start off small and it'll grow as funds come in.

Edit;
By building everything just on the ground floor, I can save 1000gp per ss using the wood. Now for the componets....

Common area, Basic (3); 500gp each, 1,500gp total, 3ss
Dining Hall, basic; 2000gp, 2ss
Kitchen, Basic; 2000gp, 1ss (Underground, Hewn Stone)
Bedrooms, Basic(5); 700gp each, 3500gp, 5ss
Bath, Fancy; 2000gp, 1ss
Total; 11,000-6%= 10,340gp.

Assuming each tree is 459gp(the minimum), it will take 23 cut trees to provide the wood for it.

Edit; Floor Plans for Gurgs Fort (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiuOtAqFbAo5dEdZclFQWklxT3JXdUl2aGN1UVdLQ UE&usp=sharing), more like a clan hall style right now.

IRL, it costs $200-$1500 (http://www.treeremoval.com/costs/#.Ubv4j_WpIg8) to cut a tree. Assuming $200 is the minimum wage labourer working for $10/hour, that's 20 hours for one person to cut a tree, or 2.5 days of work.

Now, you don't have modern tools such as a chainsaw to do the job, so I will roll a d6 to see how much slower you are: [roll0] times slower (minimum twice slower).

Edit: That's 12.5 days to cut one tree.

Can he save time by getting better axes?

Odds: Likely (sounds reasonable)
Roll: [roll0]

Considering the exceptional yes, my answer above was based on the handaxe in your inventory. If you can deal as much damage as a chain saw (3d6 (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/modern/smack/weapons.html)), it will take 2.5 days.

3d6 => average damage 10.5 => takes 2.5 days
(handaxe) 1d6 => average damage 3.5 => takes 12.5 days

Calculating equation (http://www.mathsisfun.com/algebra/line-equation-2points.html) of line from two points: A(10.5, 2.5), B(3.5, 12.5)

Slope m = (y[A] - y) / (x[A] - x[B]) = (2.5 - 12.5) / (10.5 - 3.5) = -10 / 7 = -1.43

Line formula: y - y1 = m (x - x1)

y1 <= y[A]

y - 2.5 = -1.43(x - 10.5)

y = -1.43(x - 10.5) + 2.5

So we get the time (y) from an average weapon damage (x) e.g.

Battle axe. Average dmg 4.5. Time to cut a tree: -1.43(4.5 - 10.5) + 2.5 = 11.08

Q: What about a special logging axe? Deals 2d6 damage to trees/plants, 1d8 to everything else?

[B]Does logging axe exist?

Odds: 50/50 (unknown)

Answer is yes if rolling 25 or lower (Chaos Factor of 3; must roll low)

Edit: homebrew axe rejected. :smallfurious:

Map:
http://i43.tinypic.com/oab4h1.png

GM Emulator:
Chaos Factor: 2

{table=head]Characters
Human brigands
Kaira, dwarven bard
18 dwarven workers
Alberto Mezerattio
Mama Mezerattio[/table]

{table=head]Threads
Reach adulthood
Enslave human brigands
Hire a translator
Build a mini-fort
Build workers barracks
Find and enslave a female bard
Cure rabies[/table]

Introduction

You are in a boreal forest, with puny but tall pine trees trying to reach as far as they can for the rare sunlight. You have been sent here as a rite of passage, to become a full-grown adult. You are not expected to come back home until you are able to regenerate your limbs on your own – your father is going to cut them off and see if you die or survive.

It's a cold night, and the stars are shining brightly in the sky. Your arms are covered with the blood of a small rabbit that you pierced with your spear. You indubitably love this forest! When you are hunting, it's like food is almost jumping in your arms, begging to be eaten. You are coming back to your camp to fix some dinner. Hmm! This rabbit seems to be quite fat, it will surely make a good snack.

But when you arrive, before you can even see the camp, you are surprised with the voice of humanz talking:

"Martyl, this is our lucky day. Look at what I've found!"

"By Pelor! That's a whole lot of silver."

It seems that human brigands have found your home... Maybe they'll find a new friend too?

Grimsage Matt
2013-06-11, 08:08 PM
Humies in me camp? Thinka o takin ma silver? Iz earn dat silver, gutted lottsa gobs fer dem dwarves.

Emerging from the treelines, spear readied, and nose flaring, he shoutts out at the intruders.

"Oi pink-skins! Whatz ya doin in ma camp!"

Of course, something that might slightly complicate communication is that Grug does not speak common, and is talking in Dwarven.

Mhelisis
2013-06-11, 08:39 PM
GM Emulator:
Can one of the two humans communicate with Grug?

Odds: Very unlikely
Roll: [roll0] (the answer is Yes if rolling 25 or lower)

The pink-skins don't understand your speech in (butchered) Dwarven. They look really scared (they are only armed with short blades) and talk to each other. You can't make out what it means, but it sounds kind of fancy:

"Hyhit! Cea io! Hil geea io on manmon."

"Dumid can don thaon be, mon hlaewhyre swylgedon."

One of them kneels before you, as they are used to when trolls enter their home village to steal all the food. It seems that he is making an offering to you: exactly 36 pounds of silver...

Grimsage Matt
2013-06-11, 09:07 PM
Humies can't even talk proper..... Maybe they understand trail signs?

Turning to the log that served as his seat in fron of the fire, he places the mark for "Troll" and "Camp".

I think the survival DC for simple trail signs is DC 15? [roll]1d20+5[/url]

Grimsage Matt
2013-06-11, 09:08 PM
my bad:smallredface: [roll0]

Mhelisis
2013-06-12, 12:38 AM
I can't find any information about making trail signs, so I'll go with your DC.

You are making rudimentary marks on the log that probably don't make sense for anybody but you (both Troll and Camp seem to be represented by food symbols?) Meanwhile, as your back is turned, one of the brigands attempts to sneakily escape.

GM Emulator:
Is the camp surrounded by undergrowth?

Roll: [roll]

If yes, it gives a -2 penalty to Move Silently, which can be withdrawn from the roll below.

Move Silently: [roll0]
Opposed by a Listen check, you take a -2 penalty since you are slightly distracted/making noise.

Mhelisis
2013-06-12, 12:39 AM
I failed the GM Emulator roll. It's "Yes" to the undergrowth question if rolling 50 or less.

[roll0]

Mhelisis
2013-06-12, 12:40 AM
I'm very sorry for the triple post! I don't understand why this isn't working. I'm trying the roll in the OOC thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15416417&postcount=47).

Grimsage Matt
2013-06-12, 07:06 AM
Listen check;[roll0]

His head snaping from hearing the noise, he descides to hell with it. He'll move to take the silver, and place it back in his chest.

Mhelisis
2013-06-12, 03:04 PM
Seeing that you don't chase down his friend, the other human, still kneeled down, asks:

"Dandandum, Geea, le la dennumwi? La onthaettho danden don swalof geand ioreel..."

He gets up and runs toward the other direction.

Grimsage Matt
2013-06-12, 03:09 PM
After placing the silver back in the chest, Gurg decides to follow the humans. Maybe they can lead him to one of them that can speak properly. Or he'll just gut 'em. Either one works.

Survival to follow them? [roll]1d20+5[roll]

Grimsage Matt
2013-06-12, 03:11 PM
Survival to follow; [roll0]

Mhelisis
2013-06-12, 03:46 PM
DC 15 to track through the woods (firm ground), so you can't track them without the Track feat (level 2 Brute Power?).

GM Emulator:
Are they aware of the troll's presence?

Odds: Unlikely
Roll: 88

No.

You try to search for broken branches and footprints to indicate where he ran off too, but you can't find anything. Hell, most of the branches on the floor look broken in some way.

However, the human ran in a straight line for 600 ft and is not hard to locate. He has regrouped with his friend and you can make out what they are saying. He seems pretty angry and out of breath.

"Hit Pelor, cera liden dum gemanswa?"

The other one responds:

"La hyhit deel la ge ondumdes hit cancan dandesswa swyldan. Dumid don neswyl don eo thaetswa, toneor swahe andeo io leci eo leader."

The first human is pissed off, but he drops it. They decide to walk together, unaware that you followed them.

If you want to follow them from a distance, you can make a Listen check since they are talking.

Grimsage Matt
2013-06-12, 03:58 PM
Cautiously following the humans, Gurg is wondering what it is they're gabbing on about.

Listen Check; [roll0]
Survival Check; [roll1]

Mhelisis
2013-06-12, 04:12 PM
You follow the foolish humans with ease: they just won't stop babbling. They head south for a few miles, until they reach a camp that looks quite like yours, with three tents and a fire. They talk to an older male with a brown beard, who yells at them after they explain what happened. He points a finger toward the direction of your own camp, and yells even more. It looks like he's their leader, and is not pleased with the events...

Grimsage Matt
2013-06-12, 04:51 PM
Seeing how the humans have taken him to their leader, Grug makes his presence known.

"Oi human! Why you send those two too me camp?" The question is spoken first in dwarven, then giant, to make sure there is a chance of the human understanding.

Mhelisis
2013-06-12, 05:45 PM
GM Emulator:
Does their leader speak Dwarven or Giant?

Odds: Somewhat likely (Yes if rolling 65 or lower)

Mhelisis
2013-06-12, 05:48 PM
Do the humans attack Grug? :smallfrown:

Odds: 50/50 (Yes if rolling 50 or lower)
Roll:

Their leader is not very bright either, and only speaks Common. You cannot understand anything that he says, but it's obvious that he thinks you are a freaky monster; his ignorant hatred and contempt can be seen in the face he makes. He steps back but orders his men to attack you.

Brigand 1 initiative: [roll]1d20
Brigand 2 initiative: 1d20

Mhelisis
2013-06-12, 05:55 PM
Brigand 1 initiative: [roll0]
Brigand 2 initiative: [roll1]

Grimsage Matt
2013-06-12, 06:58 PM
Gurg initiative; [roll0]

Mhelisis
2013-06-12, 09:36 PM
The first human draws a sword from his back, and aims for your knees. However, he fails completely, and only manages to get his sword stuck in the ground. The second one is a bit more hesitant...

Brigand 2
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Note: first round; you are flat-footed.

Grimsage Matt
2013-06-12, 09:42 PM
With a snort, the spear in his hand darts forth, but not the sharp end. No, Gurg does not wish to kill yet, he wishes to beat the crap out of them.

Non-Lethal Spear attack; [roll0]
Damage; [roll1]

Mhelisis
2013-06-12, 09:50 PM
You knock the human on the temple, and he falls on the floor, unconscious. That was fast... Puny human is weak!!! The second one still hesitates, but since his leader is encouraging him and yelling at him, he attacks you anyway. Copying the other brigand's technique (hmm, this must be the troll's weakness), he pulls his sword out and tries to hit your knees.

Attack: [roll0]

Mhelisis
2013-06-12, 09:51 PM
D'oh. Rolled d20 for damage. Here it is:

[roll0]

The human does manage to hit your knees... and it really hurts, as if you had been hit by a charging ram. Perhaps is it really your weak spot?

It's obviously that he's gloating, and now determined to kill you...

Grimsage Matt
2013-06-12, 09:59 PM
The little human. I'm going to kill it. Not fast and quick, oh no, I'm going to take it nice and slow. With a roar that sounds very, very, pissed off, the spear once more desends. But this time, theres a raging troll thats going to deliver the beating.

Used rage. Duration is 8 rounds.

Nonlethal attack on the little bandit; [roll0]
Damage; [roll1]

Mhelisis
2013-06-12, 10:09 PM
Since both bandits used the same technique against you, you use the same technique against him. Except that since you are so pissed off, you are twice stronger, and you hear some bones cracking when you hit him. Your victim falls like a dead tree on his comrade... they look quite pitiful.

The human leader, seeing that he does not have anyone to defend him anymore, drops on his knees, and make an offering to you. This is how humans are taught to treat trolls: kneel down, make an offering, and pray for your life to be spared...

His offering seems to be a necklace made of shiny crystal... or perhaps just mere glass.

Grimsage Matt
2013-06-12, 10:16 PM
Unfortuntly for the man, the Troll is a bit pissed off. The man has two goons, who enter his camp, he can deal with that, but then offer him his own bloody silver?!?! Then, when he tries to talk to him, the soft-skin tried to get his too thugs to attack him, and one of them hurt him.

No, he'll be beating the crap out of the human, and maybe set himself up as the new boss of this outfit. Should be better then being by meself in the forest camp.

And so the spear goes down once more, aimed to knock the human out.

Non lethal attack; [roll0]
Damage; [roll1]

Mhelisis
2013-06-12, 10:50 PM
Raging further when reminiscing all the insults from the humans, you hit their leader under the chin, and throw him not less than 10 feet away, on one of the tent. He gets stuck in the fabric and you hear the sound of bones being broken... This one must have passed out, too, if he's even alive.

Sadly for him, he is. :smallfurious:

You feel extremely powerful... There's probably nothing in the forest, or in the world even, that can stop you... Generations of Trolls before you, your countless ancestors, are all screaming at once in your blood and in your head.

Grimsage Matt
2013-06-12, 11:00 PM
Laughing, Grug looks over the human camp for some rope, planing on tieing the humans together. Shruging off the bulk of his injurires, he begins to calm down. Maybe from here, he will force even more of these humans to follow him, and establish his own little feifdom in these parts before his return to proper lands. Of course, he'll have to learn how to communicate with the humans beyond point and/or beat up.

Pop the 2 extra shrug it offs from the rage con bonus, then end the rage. Next is taking 10 on a search check for some rope and a chest..... I'm going to mime part of why I'm pissed off to the humans.

Mhelisis
2013-06-12, 11:26 PM
You find a chest in plain sight, next to the fire.

It contains:

387 silver coins
rations for 5 days
a banded mail (humans should have worn it)
rope

GM Emulator:
Is there a rope in the chest?

Roll: [roll0] (answer is Yes if rolling 50 or less.)

Yes.

[Thread added: enslaving the humans]

XP:

300 XP for beating the two brigands
100 XP for beating their leader

Mhelisis
2013-06-12, 11:29 PM
Rerolling:

[roll0]

Grimsage Matt
2013-06-12, 11:35 PM
Dragging the knocked out humans in front of the chest, he ties them up with their own rope. It won't be very well, but its ment to be more symbolic then anything else.

That, and if the humans try anything he'll kill them this time.

Use rope check; [roll0]

Mhelisis
2013-06-13, 05:41 AM
GM Emulator:
Does anything disturb you whilst you are waiting?

Odds: No way (there's a fire)
Roll: 30

No.

After a few hours, the humans awake one by one. They seem terrorised that you captured them, and won't stop yapping with their annoying high-pitched voice. They probably think that you are going to eat them and are completely unaware of their fate. The worst is the bearded man: his body language indicates that he thinks he's in control of the situation.

Humans are healing at the rate of 1 HP per hour. Them can't shrug off damage like Troll.

Grimsage Matt
2013-06-13, 08:07 AM
Having tied them up (poorly), Gurg lightly bobs the two jabbering idiots upside the head. Not enogh to knock them back out, enough to communicate 'shut up'.

After that is done, he begins his play/mime, attempting to get his point across, that the two idiots tried taking his silver, and he wants ter know why. Or at least get the point across. People trolls think have even tried to rob them tend to end.... badly.

Untrained diplomacy to get the point across? Or is it bluff? Either way, untrained with a +1 bonus... [roll0]

Mhelisis
2013-06-13, 09:27 AM
I will go with Perform(Act) – DC 10 (routine performance, should imply you got the point across). It specifically lists "mime" in its attributes. Cha based too so the roll is good.

Even though they hate your guts, the three humans kind of enjoy your little play with the chest (it was both cute and artistic), and understand your point. But they are unable to respond to your question. Being tied, it's difficult for them to express anything at all with a play. One of them turns his head on the side, and shuts his eyes really hard, as if he was scared. What could this mean? :smallyuk:

Grimsage Matt
2013-06-13, 09:38 AM
Looking to the scared one, Gurg undo's their bindings, while pointing to the one with their eyes closed. Maybe the humans would like to explain why they did it? And you'd think they'd be greatful he only knocked them out instead of just killing them.... maybe this enslaving business might be a bit harder then he thought.

But, what could be making the huime so nervous?

Sense motive! [roll0] Also, note to self, hire a translator sometime.

Mhelisis
2013-06-13, 09:55 AM
First, the human takes a few copper coins from his purse and a ration from the chest, and throws them at your feet. Then, he stands in front of you, turns his back, and tries to make himself bigger, with strong arms. Then, he faces you, steps back, makes fake breasts with his hands, and rubs his tummy. Then, he crouches, making himself the height of a child, and rubs his tummy again. Then, he stands up, points his finger toward the rations, makes a mean face, and yells a few bitchy words in Common. Finally, he tiptoes toward you as if trying to be silent, grabs rations, and goes back to his starting position.

You cannot detect any deception or hidden messages in his performance: he appears to be genuinely trying to respond.

Grimsage Matt
2013-06-13, 10:05 AM
Ah, a either a screeching mate, or trying to feed his family. Understandable. Taking a silver peice from his pocket he gives it to the man, along with the rabbit he caught before the ruckus with the bandits. Nodding with something close, but not quite symapathy, he tries to convey that he understands.

Pointing to the other bandit and their leader, he ***** his head, an expression ment to convey couriosity on his face. Maybe the human would like to show what it knows about the others?

Mhelisis
2013-06-13, 10:23 PM
Seeing you nod, the human smiles. He knows that now, he perhaps has a chance to get out of this situation alive...

The human first rubs his cheeks and chin, and pictures someone with an angry face giving punches to someone else. Then he spins around and crouches. He makes a scared face and holds his hands in the air, as to avoid being hit.

Grimsage Matt
2013-06-13, 10:45 PM
So, they want me to stop fighting them eh? Well, time to see if they can be herded and made to do some simple tasks.

He removes the rope from the humans, as well as taking their weapons. From there, Gurg proceeds to drive them to his camp, and while he keeps a eye on them, does not make any threatening movements.

So, I'm taking their weapons and untieing them, then herding them back to my camp for a simple purpose. I'm going to make them carry most of my stuff to their camp, but I'll be carrying the silver.

Mhelisis
2013-06-13, 11:15 PM
Do the humans try to flee?

Odds: Very unlikely (would be foolish)
Roll: 92

Exceptional no. They won't try to flee in the near future either.

New scene: back at the camp
Chaos Factor: things were under control; lowered to 4

Is the setup modified?

Roll: 6

No.

You herd the humans back to your camp. They seem to be exhausted, and don't even try to rebel or flee, although the bearded man is slower than the other two and keeps twisting his ankles in holes. They don't even seem to hate or fear you anymore, they just have accepted that you are stronger and keep their eyes down... for now.

They were carrying two long swords, and the bearded leader a short sword. Don't forget that you can also add to your sheet the items from here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15422919&postcount=30).

XP:
50 XP for beating an unfavourable RP encounter.

Grimsage Matt
2013-06-13, 11:38 PM
Leaving them in the camp to rest, Gurg goes to find some food for them. As their master, he has to at least keep them alive to further his plans.

Survival check; [roll0]

And I'm heading back to their camp, so I'm leaving it be for the moment.

Mhelisis
2013-06-13, 11:59 PM
It's DC 10 to find food and water for one person. You can provide food and water for one other person for every 2 points by which your check result exceeds 10.

So you find food exactly for 4 persons.

Around your camp, there's a lot of coldberry bushes, a special type of blueberry with an ice cold taste that has adapted to the boreal conditions of this forest. You can collect more than enough for your prisoners – there's even enough to feed a Troll, would he want to eat berries rather than meat.

Their camp is found in the same state that you left it.

Grimsage Matt
2013-06-14, 12:15 AM
Placing the berries in the pot, he gives them to the humans. They'll need food and rest to do the work.

After he finishs his rabbit, he gestures for the humans to sleep. As soon as the last one falls asleep, so does Gurg.

6 hour rest unless something comes up.

Mhelisis
2013-06-14, 12:54 AM
The humans jump on the berries. They eat so eagerly that it's obvious they don't eat as often as they'd like to, as explained in their little play.

GM Emulator:
Does anything happen during their sleep?

Odds: 50/50 [Mok Troll Forest full of random encounters!!!]
Roll: 36

No (lowered Chaos Factor :smallfurious:)
This is a new day for Troll Grug... Or rather, a new night, considering there's almost never any sunlight. When you wake up, the humans are asleep and they seem in a better shape, although they haven't fully recovered from you beating them up. Surprisingly, they haven't tried to assassinate you in your sleep (good boys!) There's a chew bone next to the bearded man: it looks like he tried to get some proteins from your leftovers. Now that you get a better look at the other two humans, you see that they look very similar, like brothers... You can't quite tell them apart, perhaps because all humans look the same to trolls.

Grimsage Matt
2013-06-14, 01:04 AM
:smalltongue: dice are liking me for now.

Seeing his humans asleep, and that he won't have to make an example of one, he goes off to forage for breakfast, to feed both him and his slaves.... well, slaves-in-training.

Survival check; [roll0]

Weighing the pros and cons, he decides to put the food in the pot for the slaves, let them have the first forage of the day, and build their loyalty.

Placing the rabbit bones aside, might be able to make soup later, he wakes the humans up.

Mhelisis
2013-06-14, 02:43 AM
Considering your success, I will now assume that there are enough berries in the forest to feed 3 slaves.

It seems that you have been able to develop mime as a language to communicate with the humans, albeit quite rudimentary and inefficient. One of the two "brothers" expresses, using a little play to replace words:

"Prayer (or thankful). Coldberries."

But then, he adds:

"Woman. Crying. Child. Crying. Look around. Me. Look around. Crying."

Hoping you understand, he keeps going:

"Woman. Hungry. Child. Hungry. Me. Crying."

To which the bearded man responds:

"Woman. Hungry. Woman. Hungry. Child. Hungry. Child. Hungry. Child. Hungry. Child. Hungry. Child. Hungry. Child. Hungry. Child. Hungry. Barking dog (or wolf). Hungry. Barking dog. Hungry."

Hmm, that last play is long, boring and very repetitive...

Grimsage Matt
2013-06-14, 02:56 AM
It seems to have strong attachments for his mate and offspring, maybe the way to secure this ones loyalty is having them here?

For a few minuites Gurg looks thoughful. One can almost hear gears turning in his head before he begins to mime his response.

"Bring. Woman. Child. Dog. Wood. Food. Look. Me strong. Guard humans."

The general point is he'll guard them, he'll help them, but they have to bring their families out here.

Mhelisis
2013-06-14, 05:44 AM
The humans laugh when the troll mimes a woman. This is a ridiculous mean of communication, but still, the troll is kind of a genius to have thought of it. The humans leave to the nearest human village, nine miles to the south, and thank the troll for his generous offer. Whether they come back or not remains to be seen...

I will roll in a few days to see what happens to them.

Grimsage Matt
2013-06-14, 08:21 AM
Thinking over his plans, Gurg realizes that he may (as in he will) need help in several parts of his plan. Lucky for him, he has a good bit of silver stored up, should be more then enough to hire some workers to chop the wood and build the fort, which will mostly ressemble a large wood cabin with a few extra rooms.

From it, he will hold court over a band of humans, who will be trained to act as guards, farmers and brewers, with a bard to sing of his deeds and those of the hold.

Placing his shortspears in the tent, and placing the silver in his pack, he lopes off to the closest dwarven town, to hire woodworkers and a translator. Hopefully, there will be some silver left over, so he can buy the animals to kickstart the holds herds. Well, if not, theres always raiding the humans herds. But as he moves off, he takes the time to foragae, and any spare food is placed in his pack.

Survival to forage; [roll0]
Survival not to get lost; [roll1]

Edit; If I'm moving at half speed on a per round basis, I can move 36 miles in 8 hours, or 4.5 miles per hour. So, full speed is 72 miles/8 hours (9 miles/hour) and max speed (runing) is 216 miles/8 hours (27 miles/hour). I'm a fast bugger aren't I?

Mhelisis
2013-06-14, 01:58 PM
You normally move 4 miles per hour, but since you go through forest and mountains, you only move at 2 miles per hour. As shown on the map, the nearest dwarven city is 9 miles away, so 4.5 hours to reach it. Rolling random encounters...

Hour 1
6: nothing

Hour 2
6: nothing

Hour 3
5: nothing

Hour 4
17: :smallcool:

You walk toward Mithralhome, in the dwarven kingdom to the east. Walking through the forest is slow, but it's pleasant to you as a nature lover, and you find a little snack on the way (tawny grisette mushroom!) The pine trees always look the same, but they grow sparser as you approach the dwarven mountains.

After walking for 4 hours, you hear a savage beast growling behind you. It's a skinny, black-furred wolf, apparently alone, that tracked your trollish stench with its superior sense of smell.

Knowledge(nature) – DC 15
Wolves do not naturally have a black fur, which means that it's not a pure-blooded wolf, but a dog-wolf bastard. This wolf might behave a bit differently than a regular wolf.

Initiative: [roll0]

Grimsage Matt
2013-06-14, 02:09 PM
Knowledge(Nature); [roll1]

Eh, intresting creature. Maybe someone would pay for a live one? And so he moves to knock it out, seeing how things are worth more alive then dead.

Non-lethal attack; [roll2]
Non-lethal damage; [roll3]

Mhelisis
2013-06-14, 02:38 PM
You hit the black wolf at the shoulder, but it still has a lot of strength left... It makes side steps, then jumps at your throat with great speed.

Attack:

The dog's teeth penetrate your flesh, and pulls you down to the floor.

Wolves that hit get a free trip attack without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity.

[roll]1d20+1

This is opposed by a Str or Dex check from you (as you prefer). If you fail the roll, don't post your actions because the wolf will use his move action.

Mhelisis
2013-06-14, 02:43 PM
My trip check: [roll0]

Grimsage Matt
2013-06-14, 02:45 PM
STR check; [roll0]

Grimsage Matt
2013-06-14, 04:48 PM
Lethal spear jab. I just have to get its HP and Non-lethal to match to knock it out, so might as well. [roll0]
Damage; [roll1]

Possible crit; [roll2]
Possible damage; [roll3]

Mhelisis
2013-06-15, 12:09 AM
Your jab hits the wolf on the shoulder. The spear breaks its fur and enters inside of the muscles, half way, until it's stopped by the bones. Blood is splattering all around, including on your face. You blink your eyes protectively. This was a very lethal blow indeed. The wolf falls on its other side, unconscious and in bad shape.

XP:
300 XP.

Grimsage Matt
2013-06-15, 07:35 AM
Picking up the wolf, he fashions a rough muzzle from the rope he gained from the humans and places it on the wolfs snout. Maybe a dwarf animal trainer will pay for what amounts to a guard dog?

After the muzzle is one, Gurg just keeps walking.

Use rope; [roll0]

Mhelisis
2013-06-15, 08:11 AM
DM Emulator:
Chaos Factor: lowered to 3
New setup: Mithralhome

Is the setup modified?

Roll: 9

No.

Is anybody interested in the wolf?

Odds: Unlikely (untrained wild animal)
Roll: 85 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15436897&postcount=89)

No! Sorry.

The forest, your new home, is now far behind you. You walk on a rarely used mountain train until you reach the dwarven city of Mithralhome. As a troll, cold mountains are your natural environment.

Mithralhome is built from an enormous cavern in the mountain. It holds its name from the fact that there are rich mithral veins under the mountain, which of course the dwarves are busing mining. Since you are a troll ally, the dwarven guards open their large gates for you.

Dwarven architecture is renown to be the best in the world, and you can see why. All dwellings have a solid structures and elaborate shapes. Rich merchants and nobles like to ornament their houses with mithral decorations. But a Troll would be foolish to try to steal it, because there are guards everywhere.

The dwarven city has a population of 7,513. You will probably find anything that you need here. However, no animal trainer shows interest in your wolf: they have no use for an untrained feral animal.

Grimsage Matt
2013-06-15, 08:23 AM
Ah, well, it was only an idea after all. Might as well release it later. For now, he will look for two things, an Axe shop, which should be easy enough, and someone to act as a translator with the humans. Well, Axes first.

Mhelisis
2013-06-15, 09:08 AM
GM Emulator:
Do dwarves have an endless stock of axe?

Odds: Has to be
Roll: 77

Yes.

Is there a translator looking for work?

Odds: Likely (sounds like a good Profession)
Roll: 33

Yes.

Rolled a double number of which the single digit equal or lower than Chaos Factor (3) => random event.

Event focus: 33 Introduce a new NPC

Event action: 83 Assist
Event subject: 16 Love

A bard assistant, in love with Troll.

You find that in absolutely every weapon shoppe, they are selling all kind of axes (throwing axe, handaxe, battleaxe, greataxe, dwarven waraxe, but NO orc axes). It seems that axes are a dwarven specialty! There must be an endless supply.

But as you are shopping, you notice that a dark-haired dwarven maiden checks you out. She seems to be impressed by your height and your muscles. Her voice is deep and unfeminine, but she carries a little lute around. She introduces herself as "Kaira".

Grimsage Matt
2013-06-15, 09:21 AM
So, a little dwarf bard? Was looking for one for when the hold is done.

"Names Gurg. Just wondering about the lute, do you play as well as you look zhago huroh?" Cave Flower, ment to be a compliment

Sure, shes not a Troll, but eh. If a pretty lady is intrested, who is he to turn them down?

In the meantime, Gurg will want to find young, daring dwarves, those not yet with a job, for a business proposal.

Mhelisis
2013-06-15, 10:48 AM
Is Kaira seduced by Grug's compliment?

Odds: Near sure thing
Roll: 50

Yes.

Are there many hobos around?

Odds: Unlikely (nation at war, even if seasonal)

Roll: 42
No.

1% population?

Odds: Likely
Roll: 16

Yes (75 hobos)

Are they all looking for work?

Odds: Unlikely (hobos don't like work)
Roll: 39

No.

50% looking for work?

Roll: 82

No.

=> Will say ~25%.

Your compliment completely seduces Kaira. She follows you around like a little dog and plays music for your entertainment.

You find a few homeless dwarves begging in the street, but most of them don't want to work. One of them explains to you his lifestyle:

"Ye dinnae be a howfin' hobo if ye dinnae wanta be a howfin' hobo."

In total, you have found 18 hobo's, and they are requesting to be paid double wages because the forest is dangerous.

I close the thread "Find and enslave a female bard" and I give no reward for it since it was obtained effortlessly from a random event. :smallfurious:

Grimsage Matt
2013-06-15, 11:01 AM
K, with me helping, its 19 people choping down the trees, so 255/19 is 14(rounded up), so it'll take two weeks. 36*14=504 silver or 50gp for the job. And it'll be 190gp for 19 battle-axes, unless any of them have one? Also, would they accept a Contract stating their wages will primarily come from wood cut? Because for how many trees to chop, I was using the lowest possible weight per tree. A 2 on the addtional weight will give 468gp on the tree, so could be 9 more gp then expected. Also, Trolls Honor their contracts. We do have a history of reliable merc work with the dwarves after all.

As for Kaira, its fine by me. Way easier then I thought it would be, and it works out.

Mhelisis
2013-06-15, 06:20 PM
GM Emulator:
Do they have battle axes?

Odds: Very unlikely (they are hobos)
Roll: 79

No.

Do they accept to be paid from wood cuts?

Odds: Unlikely (I wouldn't accept myself)
Roll: 35

No.

Do they request daily wages?

Roll: 85

No.

The dwarf hobos don't have weapons, and they refuse to be paid from wood cuts (they are not sure if it's a scam). They only like the sound of precious metal. Thankfully, since dwarves and trolls have a good relationship, they trust that you will honour your contract.

Grimsage Matt
2013-06-15, 07:00 PM
Now that he's run the rough numbers, he does not have enough wealth to both hire them and buy all the needed axes. And so, he looks for a dwarf who sells wooden objects, looking for a possible investor.

He does not seek much, 60gp, and in a month they will be repaid, their investment doubled, but it will do to begin the operations.

Mhelisis
2013-06-15, 07:34 PM
GM Emulator:
Can Grug find an investor?

Odds: Likely (wood has several uses)
Roll: 30 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15439916&postcount=94)

Yes.

Are there carpenters in town?

Odds: Very unlikely (they build their city from stone)
Roll: 73 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15439928&postcount=95)

No.

You cannot find any carpenter, however, with Kaira's help, you find a dwarf who has a little shop for druids and who is willing to invest. He's also an entrepreneur and willing to give you 1,000 gp to get your business started, if he gets a 20% cut on all your profit in the next year. He's also interested in buying 100 lbs of your higher quality wood.

Grimsage Matt
2013-06-15, 08:09 PM
A thousand gold is much more then I thought I could get, and it would be welcomed, and could be used to greatly speed up production.

Bowing to the dwarf, Gurg accepts his offer, but chanages one thing. The dwarf will gain a 25% cut of the profits in the next year, as Gurg will sell primarily to him, and wishes to have a good relation with him.

Leaving the shop, and heading to meet again with the hobos looking for work, he gives Kaira a quick peck on her forehead, wispering "Thank you my little zhago huroh."

Then meeting with the hobos, he presents them with a monthly contract, with the option too renew at the end of the term. Expected duites are the harvesting of trees, the contruction of infrastructure, and the transport of lumber. Pay will be every weekly, and tools will be provided, as will two meals per day.

Due to the area only has a camp, and not much in the way of housing, the barracks for the workers will be the first thing to be built, with a road connecting the logging site and mithrilhome second.

Current Budget; 1180gp.

One Time Expenditures;
18 Battle-Axes; 180gp
Cart; 15gp
Workers Barracks; 752gp
Rough Road; (Will need to figure it out)

Monthly Expenditures;

Wages; 57gp per month
Food; 57gp per month
Total monthly; 114gp per month

Total spending comes to 1061gp in startup costs. But it'll be worth it. Also checked, 100 pounds of it at 9sp/pound comes to 90gp, and part of each tree will be earmarked for the order.

Mhelisis
2013-06-15, 09:58 PM
The entrepreneur is thankful for the higher percent, and shakes your hand/claw. The hobos are equally thankful and pleased with your contract and look forward an improvement in their life, because they only had one meal per day before. But of course, some of them also look forward spending time with Kaira: that, you can easily tell by the way they look at her, and you might have to protect your "property"...

I had typed a post assuming you were leaving, but now I see that you didn't mention it, so I save it for later.

Grimsage Matt
2013-06-15, 10:05 PM
His arm around Kaira, he leads the hobos to the axe shop, where he uses his 36 pounds of silver to buy a battle-axe for each of them. But as the contract said, the axes belong to him, they're just using them.

Next he goes to buy a cart, with Kaira tasked to buying the supplies for the month, but Gurg and the employees will load the cart.

As they set out, Gurg asks the druid shop if they would see if any young druids would be intrested in the wolf he found, and leaves it with him if they say yes. If not, he leaves it outside the walls.

On the march out, Gurg will pull the cart, and only Kira is riding with the supplies. The 18 hobos are walking, and they are armed.

Mhelisis
2013-06-15, 10:55 PM
The druid shop takes the wolf (assuming it's offered for free), and will use it for the meat (without telling you about it, in case it upsets you.)

Your workers walk in a line, behind each other, as dwarves always do, and the bard is standing inside the cart and playing a few tunes on the lute to motivate everyone. Hopefully, it won't break on the way! Your caravan is moving at a speed of 1 mile per hour, so you will need 9 hours to reach the camp.

Hour 1
7: nothing

Hour 2
16: wolverine

I've boosted up the encounter table. Let's see how you deal with it. :smallfurious:

After two hours, a raging animal blocks your path and shows its disgusting yellow teeth, with drool dripping from its jaw. You have already seen that animal before: it's a wolverine, the pest that infests this forest and feeds on the rabbits.

Kaira screams, and the workers are scared too, standing behind you and not willing to fight (it's not what they are paid for, after all,) although they are holding on their battle axe, ready to defend themselves in case you fall.

Also, adding thread: "Build workers barracks". I will divide the main thread (Build a mini-fort) into several smaller threads since it's a long task.

Grimsage Matt
2013-06-15, 11:04 PM
Ah, the sweet, sweet rush of battle! Keeping himself between the others and the wolverine, his spear jabs forth.

initive; [roll0]
Attack; [roll1]
Damage; [roll2]

if crit; [roll3]
pcrit dam; [roll4]

Mhelisis
2013-06-16, 08:18 AM

Mhelisis
2013-06-16, 08:23 AM
Couldn't edit previous post.

Left claw: [roll0]
Right claw: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

Before you even get to use your spear, the wolverine jumps at you and tears your flesh with its nasty claws. It hurts really bad...

You counterattack with your weapon, and hurt the animal equally bad.

Make a Fortitude saving throw.

Grimsage Matt
2013-06-16, 10:32 AM
Fort Save; [roll0]

Attack; [roll1]
Damage; [roll2]

Striking it again, Gurg knows that he will have to rage soon, just to match the beast.

Mhelisis
2013-06-16, 11:13 AM
You strike and strike the animal... But as you feel that you are getting angrier, you can tell that the wolverine feels exactly the same... It's now completely enraged and strikes stronger. Two raging predators fighting each other...

You don't know what the Fortitude save was for yet, but you failed it. :smallcool:

I had added the wrong modifier to my attack rolls previous, but I won't alter it (was supposed to be +4). My mistake.

The wolverine gains rage when it's wounded.

Left claw
Attack:[roll0]

Right claw
Attack:[roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

Mhelisis
2013-06-16, 11:14 AM
I swear I do that all the time. Used wrong die for damage.

Rerolling damage 1:[roll0]

Grimsage Matt
2013-06-16, 11:21 AM
Activate rage.

Spear atk; [roll0]
Spear dam; [roll1]

Bite atk; [roll2]
Bite dam; [roll3]

As the blood rage roars through Gurg, he tears into the wolverine, his spear going deep, but his snaping fangs missing the beast.

Grimsage Matt
2013-06-16, 12:34 PM
"Three Gold to the one who takes it down!" Sure, he might be raging, but he knows when he needs help, and maybe some money would motivate them to swarm it... just one good hit, just one good hit...

Mhelisis
2013-06-16, 03:30 PM
Copying your actions from the OOC thread here

Also, I'm poping the Reckless assult. I did do a full attack, so I can bite. It should be enough to finish the thing off.

ATK; (1d20+5)[25]
DAM; (1d4+4)[8]

Nice, crit. I'm going to be hurting bad, but nothing Shrug it off won't fix.

(1d20+5)[17]
(1d4)[4]

You pierce the raging animal with your spear, but then you can't control yourself anymore. You are not a Troll anymore; you are a beast. You are Brutish Strength in its purest form. You grab your opponent, and repeatedly bite its neck, over and over, even if it dies on the second bite. There's blood everywhere, and behind you, the dwarves are traumatised by this display of violence.

The wolverine is only a dead carcass, lying in a pool of blood and yellowish drool.

When you describe your actions, make a Knowledge(Nature) roll.

Grimsage Matt
2013-06-16, 03:38 PM
Calming down, but not before a surge of energy rips through his body, rebuilding flesh, erasing wounds with all the vitallity of troll-kind. His mind clearing, he sees the looks on the dwarves faces, and takes steps to calm them down.

"I walk down the path of the beserker, and it threatened what was mine... Sorry if I scared you zhago huroh, I won't let anything hurt you."

In a way, a troll saying that you are theirs is a good thing. Sure, they may be possessive, but they are also very protective.

Gurgs thoughts turn to what the beast had, why was its drool yellow...

Knowledge(Nature) check; [roll0]

Mhelisis
2013-06-16, 04:11 PM
GM Emulator:
Is Kaira freaked out?

Odds: Very likely
Roll: 83 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15444373&postcount=99)

No.

Are the workers freaked out?

Odds: 50/50 (lowered odds since Kaira wasn't)
Roll 82 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15444388&postcount=100)

No.

The Zhago Huroh feels better when you explain your behaviour: perhaps even safer, and impressed by your fighting prowess. The other dwarves look at her, and model their reaction on hers, as if she was their natural leader.

After examining the dead body, you recognise what disease affected it: rabies. You are very familiar with it since it's common in wild animals, your favoured enemies. You remember all the details that you have learnt about it, and the bad news is that you are probably infected....

Rabies is caused by the bite or scratch of an infected animal.

Rabies causes slight or partial paralysis, brain dysfunction, anxiety, insomnia, confusion, agitation, general weird behavior, paranoia, terror, hallucinations, and delirium.

The body produces a lot of tears (from the eyes) and saliva, and during the later stages the person may not be able to speak or swallow. Death occurs within 2-10 days (usually after lapsing into a coma).

Grimsage Matt
2013-06-16, 04:18 PM
Rabies, this is bad. Trolls can shrug if off, but it is a bit chancy. We'll, Gurg will give it two or three days, and if he starts feeling bad, he'll make the trip to get an apocethary. Out in the wild, disease can be lethal.

Instrcting the workers to help gather firewood, he burns the corpse, to make sure it does not spread further.

Then, he continues to pull the cart, and lead the group on.

Taking 10 on the survival check to avoid getting lost. And its two back to back saves to remove the disease, right?

Mhelisis
2013-06-17, 08:08 AM
Yes, it's two saves back to back to cure the disease.

On the 3rd hour, you are halted by a man with a thin brown moustache, apparently alone. He wears a feathered hat and a rapière on his side. He introduces himself, in Dwarven:

"Hello, muchachos. My name is Alberto Mezerattio. You are travelling on my family's territory, so I will ask that you either pay a toll of 1 cp, or divert your path. Also, if you happen to have a cheese wheel, we will accept that as payment."

That must be the first human who ever dared giving an order to a troll...

Grimsage Matt
2013-06-17, 08:21 AM
The Troll just looks at the man.

"Out of mild couriosity, where is said family? And Zhago Huroh, have you ever heard of him owning the area?"

Sure, Gurg wants to gut him... possibly. But, if he does legally own the terrirtory, and its not a bandit gang (fat chance there), then things might be a bit more problematic. Besides, he was at least civil, so he will be polite in his 'fact checking'.

Asking Kiara to make a bardic knowledge check to see if hes a bandit or not.

Mhelisis
2013-06-17, 09:44 AM
GM Emulator:
Does Kaira actually have a PC level in bard?

Odds: 50/50 (no clue)
Roll: 20 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15448214&postcount=106)

Yes.

Bardic Knowledge DC: 20
Bardic Knowledge roll: 13 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15448256&postcount=107)

The Zhago Huroh shakes her head. She's never heard any story involving the Mezerattio family, although she doesn't know much about humans.

Alberto Mezerattio responds to your question:

"Why, we live in a cavern to the north..."

He smiles a bit, perhaps ironically:

"Does monsignore perhaps want to go on a tour of our humble palace?"

Grimsage Matt
2013-06-17, 09:51 AM
"One final question. Are you a bandit family, or simply a regular human family that staked a good claim?"

One thing about his tone, hes not judgemental, but rather just trying to get all the facts together before he makes his desicion.

Mhelisis
2013-06-17, 03:48 PM
Mezerattio is offended by your question. He makes an outraged face.

"What? Are you insinuating that I look like a bandito? You are insulting my gentleman's honour!"

He points his rapière toward you.

"Signore, the Mezerattio might not be a regular family, but we are honest people. You should be careful who you are insulting."

He pauses.

"Or at least, as honest as one can reasonably be in those difficult times. Now... Are you going to pay the toll, or what?"

Grimsage Matt
2013-06-18, 08:38 AM
Gurg grunts.

"Wasn't ment to be an insult. I like to know all the facts before giving out money to people in the wilderness without knowing who they are. Nothing personal. Got clawed up a bit by a rabid wolverine an hour back, still hurts a bit, so just a bit tempermental. That, and the last bunch of humans I talked too.. well maybe talked is pushing it a bit. Anyway, they broke into my chest and tried to bribe me with me own silver." At this, the troll sighes.

"Anyway, if your intrested, I got a bit of a business proposition for you. See, I found this rare timber round my camp, but alas, it would take just a bit too long to log a good deal of it by meself. So I hired these fine dwarven and lumberjacks, and we just started the march out bout three hours back. Anyway, just juding by the damn wolverine, might need to hire a few extra guards. That, and I need a translator in case the ones from before show up again."

He sounds honest and calm, as if he is not concerned at all, just explaining a few things. Sure, it would be more work to build the housing, but a few extra guards could always come in handy.

Mhelisis
2013-06-18, 09:35 AM
Mezerattio smoothes his moustache.

"Hmm... Silver? You must be rich, aren't you? I don't know if I'm interested. I have to talk about it with my mama. Tell me where your camp is, and I might come later if I'm allowed to. You won't be disappointed with Alberto Mezerattio. I'm probably one of the finest fencers of those lands..."

Grimsage Matt
2013-06-18, 10:09 AM
"Mind if we go and negoiate with your moma? No disrespect ment, but as you are aware, these are troubled times. And getting into the ground floor of a new logging operation might be the break your family needs."

Most of the business lingo was taken from a book written by a goblin trade prince. Or rather, stolen from someone who bought it.

Mhelisis
2013-06-18, 10:30 AM
The strange man makes a friendly smile.

"I'm sure she will be happy to have a visitor."

He throws a quick glance at the sky; the beautiful stars and the moon which provide most of the light on this dark world.

"Yes, very happy... Now, signore, come with me. Your workers can stay here, they are safe on our territory. The cavern is less than half a mile to the north."

Grimsage Matt
2013-06-18, 10:36 AM
"As a matter of prinicble, and that I'm the only fighter out of the lot, would you mind if they just camped outside the cave? Its not that I don't trust you, I just that the only law I know to be universal is Murphy's."

Of course, if he says no, he'll take Kiara with him reguardless, but will set them up in a defensive formation. The reason being, they look and sound friendly, but always good to be prepared.

Mhelisis
2013-06-18, 11:26 AM
GM Emulator:
Chaos Factor: lowered to 2
New setup: Mezerattio cavern

Is the setup modified?

Roll: 3

No.

Mezerattio refuses that your men camp outside: he's not comfortable with the idea of a small army sitting outside of his home. But Kiara agrees to come with you.

The cavern is a filthy place, with a floor covered with animal dejections. The cavern is rather large, and a tunnel leads deeper underground. There's a beautiful woman sitting in front of a fire and cooking something. Brown hair, in her 40's, a bit skinny. She's the mama, the leader of the family. She seems very happy when she sees you.

"Alberto! I'm glad you brought some friends."

She speaks Dwarven too. He explains to her why you are here.

"Let's discuss your project in front of a good meal. Please, follow me to the dining room. We were about to have dinner."

And she gets up, and walk toward the tunnel.

Grimsage Matt
2013-06-18, 02:07 PM
A bunch of hobos that have been given axes a few hours ago is not a small army. At most, its fodder.

Gurg follows the Mezerattio Moma, as the leader, she must be treated with respect, or at least a greate deal of caution.

"We would be honored Madam Mezerattio." Keeping his Zhago Huroh close, he has his nose open for anyone else, to make sure they aren't sneaking up on them.

Scent at level 2, for tracking/anti-ambush purposes.

Mhelisis
2013-06-18, 10:59 PM
Your nose picks up the scent of several rodents, at least three, and also animal dejection.

Grimsage Matt
2013-06-20, 10:08 PM
Gurg Follows her, keeping a beady eye and sniffing snout out for danger.