PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Making Enchanted Items (weapon specific)

dmjay
2013-06-11, 08:00 PM
I'm having an issue understanding how to make enchanted items and what is their worth.

What I did for my town enchanter was...
Example: Creating a +1 MW Short Sword with Holy (+2) Enchantment.
10gp (Shortsword) + 300gp (masterwork weapon) + 8,000gp (+2 Weapon Bonus) = 8,310gp. - It will take 8 days to make this.

This seems very cheap for players to buy but then I read that since this is a +1 weapon and Holy is a +2 enchantment that this is now considered a +3 enchanted item, which is worth 18,000gp. I don't get it.

Let's say I want to create a +Sacred, +Everbright, Longsword, (this will be a cheap SunBlade replica, kind of).

Everbright is +1 bonus and Sacred is +1 Bonus. From from what I gather the sword has to have a +1 enchantment bonus (or be MW) first to even make it, so that would technically be a +3 sword costing 18,000 right?

That's fine, I as a DM can make an above item and put it in game for PCs to find. BUT! If a PC goes to an enchanter... and requests for this same item to be made... how is it cheaper ?

Do enchanters make them for less then market value. If a PC enters an enchanters shop and requests the above sword... how much would the enchanter sell it for?

I'm super confused. :smallfrown: :smallfrown:

Flickerdart
2013-06-11, 08:05 PM
A weapon must be +1 (not just masterwork) to be enchanted with special properties. Before a weapon is +1, it must be masterwork.

Crafting magic items costs half the GP cost of the full value, and 1/25th of the item's full value in XP. Then the enchanter charges the commissioner full price - the profit he makes compensates him for the XP lost.

Whether the PCs find or buy a +3 sword, it's still worth 18,000 gp.

Malvanis
2013-06-11, 08:19 PM
There's a table in DM's guide. it is the price with magical pluses. So you were right, and a total of a +3 bonus would cost 18,000. It would NOT be cheaper for having the item made. A magic sword would probably be purchased from an enchanter, and having it special made would probably make it more expensive, not less expensive because a special order will cost more.

dmjay
2013-06-11, 09:48 PM
Thanks for clearing my mind. So I just add each +n bonus to equal the total +n and base the price off the table 7-9:weapon in the DMG (pg222).

Example: Creating a +1 Full-Plate with Silent Moves (+1) Enchantment.
+1 Bonus and +1 Enchantment Bonus (silentmoves) is a total of +2 Bonus which = 4,000gp - It will take 4 days to make this.

Example: Creating a +1 Battle Axe with Throwing(+1), Thundering(+1) and Holy(+2) Enchantments.
+1 Bonus and +1 Enchantment Bonus (Throwing), +1 Enchantment Bonus (Thundering), +2 Enchantment Bonus (Holy) is a total of +5 Bonus which = 50,000gp - It will take 50 days to make this.

Example: Creating a +1 Short Sword with Thundering (+1) Enchantment.
+1 Bonus and +1 Enchantment Bonus (Thundering) is a total of +2 Bonus which = 8,000gp Price. It will take 8 days to make this item.

Question: Is there a way to make the above item without it having the +1 Bonus to Atk/Dmg and make it only worth a (+1 bonus) 2,000gp?) I'm thinking no, and there's no way to price an item lower then 8,000 (+2)??

Question: Should the total market value be the +n Value and Weapon Value?

Example: +1 Longbow with +2 Enchnt Bonus (18,000pg) + Weapon Cost (375) = 18,375gp

Flickerdart
2013-06-11, 09:59 PM
There is no way to bypass the requirement that an item must have a +1 bonus before being enchanted with special properties.

The total cost of the weapon is indeed equal to base weapon cost + masterwork cost + special material cost (if any) + enchantment cost.