PDA

View Full Version : Father's Day Game

Admiral Squish
2013-06-11, 11:36 PM
So, father's day is approaching, and I'm broke. My brother gave the suggestion of writing a one-shot adventure for father's day. I love the idea, but I'm not entirely sure how to tie the game into father's day, so I thought I'd ask you guys if you've ever had fathers or fatherhood play an important role in a game before. Or if any of you've played D&D with your fathers.

Alejandro
2013-06-12, 10:19 AM
Well, my first two thoughts are:

"No. I am your father"

and

"You killed my father, prepare to die."

I'm pretty sure those stories worked out. :)

Man on Fire
2013-06-12, 06:01 PM
Simple idea, that would be easy to adapt into any setting:
Father's character has some shady background, he was somebody important and feared in secret life he had, but had abbandonned this and lived in hiding, to raise his son. After many peaceful years his old friends back from shaddy days came asking for help against some guy, who is becoming serious threat to them. When he refused, they kidnapped his son.

The initial premise is that "dad" character will arm himself up and go save his kid. The twist is that once he'll get to place they keept the child in, he will find it busted and all guards already dead - the enemy they wanted him to fight had attacked it and kidnapped his son, which he plans to use aainst the organisation. Now "dad", as much as he hates it, is forced to work with his old "friends" to save his child from even worse enemy.

I ripped this completely from Ares: God of War comics, if youre curious, just stipped it to bare bones.

Admiral Squish
2013-06-13, 04:26 AM
Well, my first two thoughts are:

"No. I am your father"

and

"You killed my father, prepare to die."

I'm pretty sure those stories worked out. :)

I thought about 'i am your father', but 'you killed my father' is new.
Unfortunately, both of those feature a largely absent father figure, and would require significant backstory and a lot of setup.

Simple idea, that would be easy to adapt into any setting:
Father's character has some shady background, he was somebody important and feared in secret life he had, but had abbandonned this and lived in hiding, to raise his son. After many peaceful years his old friends back from shaddy days came asking for help against some guy, who is becoming serious threat to them. When he refused, they kidnapped his son.

The initial premise is that "dad" character will arm himself up and go save his kid. The twist is that once he'll get to place they keept the child in, he will find it busted and all guards already dead - the enemy they wanted him to fight had attacked it and kidnapped his son, which he plans to use aainst the organisation. Now "dad", as much as he hates it, is forced to work with his old "friends" to save his child from even worse enemy.

I ripped this completely from Ares: God of War comics, if you're curious, just stipped it to bare bones.

Hmm. This could work, but it'd require dad to play a very specific role. I'd really like to let him have the freedom of making his own character. This is his first time with the system, so I want him to see the best of it.

Kol Korran
2013-06-13, 09:49 AM
I'm not quite sure I understand- you want to run a one shot as a present to your father? Does he play RPGs? Does it need to be simple or can it be more complex? Does it have to include a "father theme", or can it be just a game revolving around something he likes?

Can you explain the situation a bit more clearly please? :smallconfused:

mcbobbo
2013-06-13, 10:22 AM
As a father myself, I would prefer a story that illustrates the state of having children that need you. At the end, you should definitely throw in a hug and a "thank you dad".

Makes me wish my dad was into RPGs, actually.

Admiral Squish
2013-06-13, 04:22 PM
I'm not quite sure I understand- you want to run a one shot as a present to your father? Does he play RPGs? Does it need to be simple or can it be more complex? Does it have to include a "father theme", or can it be just a game revolving around something he likes?

Can you explain the situation a bit more clearly please? :smallconfused:

Sorry, I suppose I should have been more clear.
Yes, I want to run a one-shot for my father as his present.
He does not play RPGs, but he's a fan of fantasy, and I suspect he'll enjoy it.
The simpler the system, the less time I need to spend teaching him before we get to the fun parts, but I think I should be able to do anything up to D&D 3.5.
I think either would be fine, but this thread will likely have more luck working on the father theme, since you don't know him.

Mr Beer
2013-06-13, 07:22 PM
Send your father on a quest to get the most valuable treasure in the world. When his character finally gets said treasure, he opens to chest to discover the most valuable treasure in all the world is...his son's love. Then turn the emotional piano music and go in for a manly hug.

Actually, I'd maybe just go with other peoples' suggestions.