PDA

View Full Version : Battle Caster and Related Feats

Everynone
2013-06-12, 11:56 AM
So I'm building a character that is aiming for levels in Dragon Disciple. I know it's not an awesome class, this is just a character I want to build because I've never done a Dragon Disciple before. The campaign he's starting in starts characters at level 5, so (because the requirements for DD are Knowledge (arcana) 8 ranks and the ability to sponteneously cast arcane spells) I originally built him as a Half-Orc Barbarian 4/Warlock 1. But then I decided that Dragonfire Adept made more sense from a RPing ascept, so I built him with that dip.

Then I decided that technically DfAs dont cast spells, they cast incantations, so I rebuilt him with a dip in Warmage. This worked out pretty well, because Warmages automatically know all their available spells from a given level, and he was only casting 0th and 1st level spells. Two 1st level spells in particular, Fist of Stone and True Strike, allow for some amazing combat (+6 to STR and 20 on next roll).

But then I decided that he was very feat starved, and Trapfinding and Uncanny Dodge and even Rage (you can't cast spells) didn't help him as much as I'd like it to. And since my friend and I had just done done a redesign on the Fighter, I decided to make him a Human Fighter 4/Warmage 1 with a different name (essentially, hes a different character. The story is that he's a half-brother of the half-orc). I gave him full-plate armor, and a nice slew of feats that when playtested, actually allowed him to curbstomp the barbarian.

The only problem was that I gave him the feat Battle Caster twice, and my friend said he didn't think that was allowed. I did, but I wasnt 100% sure, and we've been having this debate over taking feats multiple times. And also a debate about ASP. He says I should just deal with the 35%, because its not that bad. I said that to make a good character, you need to eliminate randomness as much as possible.

So what do you think? Is Battle Caster twice an option? Do I need it? Are there other feats which lower or eliminate ASP for heavy or full plate armor?