PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming NPC Game Ideas

prufock
2013-06-12, 12:27 PM
So, in a month or two, my DM is planning to run an NPC game where we play as ourselves sucked into a D&D setting of his own design. We have no foreknowledge of the setting, since our avatars wouldn't. We all start as level 1 experts, with 15 point buy to model ourselves as well as we can.

So far, I have myself as
TN Human Expert 1
Str 13, Dex 10, Con 9, Int 11, Wis 10, Cha 10
BAB +0, Melee +1, Ranged +0, 5 HP, AC 10, Fort -1, Ref +0, Will +2
Climb +5, Heal +4, Know Psionics +4, Open Lock +1, Perform Stringed Instruments +7, Perform Singing +4, Profession (statistician) +4, Tumble 1 (+1), 2 skills yet to choose, 2 skill points remaining.
Feats: Skill Focus (Perform Stringed Instruments), one to choose.
We'll be starting with essentially no gear, just clothing and some mundane items that we might have on us, but nothing too useful. I plan to immediately make myself a club or quarterstaff.

Questions:
1) Given the above stats, what classes/build would you pursue after level 1? We'll be allowed to seek out someone to train us in PC classes after this, but our stats suck. I'm thinking binder, warlock, or bard, though a single level in cleric for domains and turning isn't out of the question. Keep in mind I doubt this game will go beyond level 4 or 5, but you never know.

2) We will, in game, have all our metagame knowledge. This means I may attempt to summon Pazuzu. However, keep in mind that all meta-tricks have to take place IN-GAME and in the setting. So if Pazuzu doesn't exist in this setting, that trick doesn't work. However, I'm looking for any tricks or exploits that might be useful or fun in the game. I have lots of ideas, but want more!

Thanks, folks!

dascarletm
2013-06-12, 12:38 PM
I think the obvious choice is bard, due to the skill proficiencies, but I'd say put a lil' more in cha! Give yourself some credit you seem like a very persuasive fellow:smallwink:.

As far as Tricks, learn UMD, get a scroll/wand of Shivering Touch, and paralyze some dragon or something.

Larkas
2013-06-12, 01:00 PM
Hmmm, an interesting concept. If you don't mind me asking, how come you have Knowledge (psionics)? Are you a psychic or something? See if you can take Knowledge (system mastery). That way, you can always ask for metagame information from your DM! :smallbiggrin:

Anyways, I agree with dascarletm. See if you can shuffle that Str to Dex, and be a Bard asap. If things go south, anyways, you can always diplomancy away!

prufock
2013-06-12, 01:04 PM
If you don't mind me asking, how come you have Knowledge (psionics)?
Masters degree in psychology. I figured psionics was the closest one! Either that or local (for humanoids), I guess.

Larkas
2013-06-12, 01:08 PM
Masters degree in psychology. I figured psionics was the closest one! Either that or local (for humanoids), I guess.

Well, it kinda works... It would really be Knowledge (psychology), but seeing as that would probably be useless in a game... Yeah, I can see that floating.

Hamste
2013-06-12, 01:10 PM
I would have thought psychology that would have given you points in diplomacy, bluff and intimidate.

prufock
2013-06-12, 01:11 PM
Well, it kinda works... It would really be Knowledge (psychology), but seeing as that would probably be useless in a game... Yeah, I can see that floating.
Yeah, but there is no RAW Knowledge (psychology) skill. I guess I could make it one, since the listed knowledge types are only "typical fields of study," not necessarily a comprehensive list.

I would have thought psychology that would have given you points in diplomacy, bluff and intimidate.
Haha! Sadly, knowing how things work on paper and being able to use it in a practical sense aren't always the same thing. But hey, I do have a couple skills left to assign. None of this is set in stone until the game starts.