PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Skulls and Shackles, Sorcerer 1 - what spells?

AttilaTheGeek
2013-06-12, 02:57 PM
I'm a gnome sorcerer, and I want to focus on illusions and manipulation. I have two 1st-level spells and a feat, or three spells if that feat is Extra Arcana. I'm currently planning to run with Silent Image, Color Spray, and Effortless Trickery (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/effortless-trickery) as my feat, but I really want Charm Person. The rest of the party is
A witch, alchemist, or druid, still undecided. Whatever he plays, he's the only person I know who knows the SRD better than I do, so he'll be powerful regardless.
A gish sorcerer. She's not a powerful player, but her character is being built by the guy above, so she will probably have tricks even if she doesn't use them optimally.
A bard who's never played before. We're all helping out to build his character, but he looks fairly standard.

Pros of Charm Person over Color Spray: From what I can tell, there's not a lot of combat for the first couple levels (I get another spell at 3rd), so I might not need Color Spray. It also fails the big test of sorcerer spell selection - "Will I cast this every single day?". Last, I really want to be able to manipulate people more powerfully than with Bluff, Diplomacy, and Intimidate.

Cons of Charm Person over Color Spray: We have an all-caster party and our DM is merciless in combat.He doesn't increase difficulty just to make things harder, but he won't tone down encounters to compensate for our weaknesses. I won't need Color Spray every day, but I have a feeling it might save our life when it comes down to it.

I think I'd have more fun with Charm Person, but not dying is also fun. I could change my feat to Extra Arcana and get both, but then I wouldn't be able to do things while also having an illusion up. What does the playground think?

Scowling Dragon
2013-06-12, 03:57 PM
Make sure you know what "Charm person" does with the DM. Cause depending on the DM, the Orc may slaughter you, just in a "Nice" way.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-06-12, 04:02 PM
Make sure you know what "Charm person" does with the DM. Cause depending on the DM, the Orc may slaughter you, just in a "Nice" way.

That's true. I've used it a couple times in the past, and it's made people generally go from "kinda indifferent" to "somewhat friendly". Though I don't know to what extent it could bend people to my will...