PDA

View Full Version : Full attack on Charge

Noth
2013-06-12, 06:21 PM
This may seem like a silly question, but I play a Barbarian (level 5) in Pathfinder, and notice that everyone is talking about getting a full attack on Pounce. Why is this so good? I may be missing the obvious, but is it that good?

Kelb_Panthera
2013-06-12, 06:28 PM
Hitting a thing once at the end of your charge is good. Hitting it twice is better. Hitting it yet a third time is better still.

I'm not really familiar with pathfinder but I'm betting there're ways to nab extra attacks beyond what BAB gives that would also add to the attacks you get at the end of a charge via pounce.

Why it's better should be painfully obvious with even a few moments thought.

thethird
Well at level 5 you don't care much, but if you have extra attacks being able to do them after moving is pretty good don't you think?

kernal42
It will become much better as the difference between a single attack and a full attack widens. For example, at 6th level you would get a second attack on a pounce but not on a regular charge.

Cheers,
Kernal

geekintheground
2013-06-12, 06:29 PM
a full attack means you get to him more often (if you can), charging increases your chance to hit

eggynack
2013-06-12, 06:30 PM
I don't know if it's in pathfinder, but in complete champion the spirit lion totem ACF lets you trade fast movement for pounce. It's not important at level five, unless you have an extra attack from whirling frenzy or something, but it's great when you start picking up iteratives. Combat usually restricts you to standing in one place if you want to do full damage, but pounce lets you keep your mobility while getting all of your attacks in. Otherwise, you have to waste a whole round closing with your opponent instead of just killing in one round. It's also nice with shock trooper, which lets you power attack using AC instead of attack bonus on a charge.

Urpriest
2013-06-12, 09:31 PM
I don't know if it's in pathfinder, but in complete champion the spirit lion totem ACF lets you trade fast movement for pounce.

In Pathfinder, the equivalent thing can't be picked up till level 10. Because yeah, that's how PF rolls.

Nettlekid
2013-06-12, 10:09 PM
Also, something that no one's mentioned so far (eggynack touched on it) is that many characters who get to do this, like Barbarians, rack up extra damage with Power Attack. And the best way to multiply Power Attack is with a charge, with feats like Leap Attack and items like a Valorous Weapon. That's how you maximize damage. But it's not easy (unless you build around it) to charge EVERY turn. Many times you rush in, attack, and then make regular full attacks next turn, to much less effect. If you can attack many times on the first charge, it pays off that Power Attack many times over.

Slipperychicken
2013-06-12, 10:22 PM
Why is this so good?

You'll know next level, when you get your first iterative and start wishing you could move more than 5ft while full-attacking.

More attacks is better. Getting to move more than 5ft while doing them is awesome. Moving up to 2x your speed to do them with a +2 to hit? Priceless.