PDA

View Full Version : Aquatic enemies?

King-Strawberry
2013-06-12, 07:47 PM
Hi all, I'm working on a campaign idea that will be in an E8 or E9 setting in which there will be a homebrew water/undead themed Elder Evil. Looking for suggestions for cultists, minions, champions and anything else that would work with this.

I'm planning on having one of the main servants to be a slightly advanced drowned (MMIII). Also possibly featuring necromental water elementals (Libris Mortis). I'm open to all sources and homebrew.

All advice is appreciated. Thanks playground!

inuyasha
2013-06-12, 07:50 PM
man...I just made a homebrew monster like a week ago perfect for this...but i CANT FIND IT! If I find it I will PM you :)

ArcturusV
2013-06-12, 07:55 PM
Hmm... One thing I'd worry about, is compared to even the normal amount of devastation that a Cleric with decent Turning can do in an Undead Campaign, is the rules out of Stormwrack, which let them burn Turns to Super Holy Water all the water around them. Which would just wreck the day of an Undead. Particularly allowing a Cleric to one shot any "swarm" sort of scenario.

Honestly though I think an encounter against a village worth of Zombified Aquatic Elves should definitely be something that you run with. The problem (Possible problem that is) with such an encounter is the Water Combat rules stacked with Zombie rules means that for characters whom "Tactics" means "Put pointy bit into fleshy bit", they're going to be sucking a bit one between Water Penalties to weapons, and Zombie Penalties, they won't have any weapons which are at full effectiveness.

karkus
2013-06-12, 08:01 PM
Stormwrack is probably going to be the chief authority on aquatic-based combat here, if you can get your hands on it.

However, there is a rule in Pathfinder in which you can use 0-level spells limitlessly; all you have to do is know them/have them prepared and you may cast them willy-nilly.

Add this rule for some cultists, having them Create Water endlessly in certain situations.

Malvanis
2013-06-12, 08:17 PM
Sahuagin and Scrags can be great low level aquatic creatures, for high levels you can put levels of cleric or fighter on sahuagin. I personally think that sahuagin make great creatures that are not just combat brutes and can make nice divine spellcasters.

King-Strawberry
2013-06-12, 08:28 PM
man...I just made a homebrew monster like a week ago perfect for this...but i CANT FIND IT! If I find it I will PM you :)

Thanks! I look forward to it!:smallredface:

About stormwrack, thanks guys! i completely forgot that book existed so i'll download it right now.
Knowing my players fairly well, they all hate clerics, we havent had one played in years, so i don't think turning will be a problem.
But the aquatic zombie village is definitely an encounter i'll use.

I love sahuagin they will probably make an appearance, possibly working with the pcs at some points to destroy the undead, but also trying to forward the goal of an almost entirely water covered plane of existence.

I think i will incorporate that PF rule in, that'd certainly make a fight more interesting having 10 or so cultists filling the room with water as it progressed. :nale:

ArcturusV
2013-06-12, 08:51 PM
Sad. Clerics are fun when your team isn't being an ass about it. :smallbiggrin:

If you do get a copy of Stormwrack... I'd like to see the Sahuagin be the "Allied" race, and turning the Aquatic Elves into fodder/victims (They get zombified), and the Darfellans as willing accomplices (Their ability to operate on land, or underwater for long periods of time makes it a natural option for that type). Plus you get the usual reversal of expectations where the "Slimy Fish Monsters" are your friends and the "Elf with webbed toes" is something that's going to eat your brains, and the "nice, friendly Dolphin Guy" is the one who's sucker playing you into a trap.

Keld Denar
2013-06-12, 10:50 PM
Kuo-toa have Dagon written all over them! Being as they are low HD humanoids, you can customize them with impunity. Need a priest? Add cleric/archivist levels. Need a corps of elite guards? Fighter, or better, Warblade levels make for fun, customizable, low effort units. Need wierd,warped units? Apply Spellwarped or Pseudonatural from Complete Arcane, top with class levels, sprinkle with crazy, and unleash on your party.

EDIT: PS, drowned are one of those rather horribly under CRed monsters. Put one in an area where the PCs can't really influence it, or simply put in enough of them, and the aura will be lethal.