PDA

View Full Version : Creatures other than rust monsters that affect metal?

cowsay
2013-06-12, 08:03 PM
Are there creatures other than rust monsters that affect, damage, rust, weaken metal?

Are their creatures that are cousins to rust monsters that affect other types of materials?

I would love to know about these creatures, what they can do, and where I can find them (i.e., in what source).

Studoku
2013-06-12, 08:06 PM
Oozes have acid that in some cases can affect metal.

cowsay
2013-06-12, 08:08 PM
Oozes have acid that in some cases can affect metal.

Cool. I'll check them out. Are there any in particular that you like?

Snowbluff
2013-06-12, 08:10 PM
I think there is a rust dragon somewhere as well.

Iamyourking
2013-06-12, 08:42 PM
Draconomicon. It's actually quite nasty; with really high DR against metal weapons, an alternate breath weapon that can dissolve any metal, and a capstone ability that corrodes any weapon less than +5 without it doing any damage and forces +5 or more to make a reflex save or rust away.

Vizzerdrix
2013-06-12, 08:47 PM
lodestone marauder in mm4

Kuulvheysoon
2013-06-12, 08:57 PM
Draconomicon. It's actually quite nasty; with really high DR against metal weapons, an alternate breath weapon that can dissolve any metal, and a capstone ability that corrodes any weapon less than +5 without it doing any damage and forces +5 or more to make a reflex save or rust away.

It's pretty damned nasty. But an excellent surprise for a DM when the party is gearing for a fight with a "mere" rust monster.

There's the Annihilator, the steroid-boosted rust monster in Underdark that disintegrates instead of rusts.

TuggyNE
2013-06-12, 09:00 PM
Are their creatures that are cousins to rust monsters that affect other types of materials?

Folugub, XPH (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/folugub.htm). Crystals.

cowsay
2013-06-13, 10:16 AM
These are great. I'm obliged and welcoming more suggestions. That gem one is really interesting.

gr8artist
2013-06-13, 11:38 AM
What about sundering, especially the age-old "I'm going to sunder your BoH and totally ruin your WBL for the next 8 games" strategy?
And doesn't Vow of Peace give you a quality that shatters weapons that strike you?

killem2
2013-06-13, 12:08 PM
I don't know if this counts, but the Steel Predator from Fiend Folio can do some nasty things to metal. :smallbiggrin:

Phelix-Mu
2013-06-13, 02:16 PM
GREEN SLIME. Kind of like oozes, but cooler, cause it counts as a plant. Which means that it's a druid's best friend. I think the only thing it doesn't eat through is stone. I believe the only source for it is the depressingly sparse DMG entry under the traps and hazards section.