PDA

View Full Version : Moving a spell around (metamagic feats)(3.5)

gooddragon1
2013-06-12, 09:56 PM
xxxxxxxxxxxx

TuggyNE
2013-06-13, 12:16 AM
You may move a mobile spell up to 30 feet in a given round (it is inactive as you move it and becomes active after you are finished moving it) by concentrating on it as a standard action (similar to concentrating on a spell with a duration of concentration).

I think you want to mimic the rules for redirecting an active spell, actually, which state that it's a move action.

What spell slot adjustments should these feats incur? Any other thoughts?

+1 each. Teleporting isn't usually all that amazing a jump over mobile, I wouldn't think, so the extra feat required balances it out more or less. Maybe +1/+2 respectively.

Fizban
2013-06-13, 03:15 AM
Gut response is that I'm sure there's some spell out there that's strong enough it should warrant a +2 increase just to be safe, but most people probably wouldn't use it then. It'd take a while to research all the spells this could apply to to see what it can really do, but it's definitely cool. I love me some sphere spells, and hey look, a meta feat to make anything sphere like.

Just to Browse
2013-06-13, 03:31 AM
A shifting pool of grease...

gooddragon1
2013-06-13, 05:09 AM
A shifting pool of grease...

Or a silence spell. Or a prismatic wall (hence the +2 on the other feat). Note that antimagic field, antilife shell, etc. don't work with this.

That's why it's a standard instead of a move action. Because it has combat implications that deserve to subside a regular attack option.

Note very carefully though that you can't use the first feat to trigger damage or other effects multiple times as it stops working while you move it and only resumes working when you stop moving it (you can still make it apply again by having it continue working through ceasing to move it where a potential target is occupying an area but you'll only get to do that once per round on your turn).