PDA

View Full Version : PF summoner-type character

huttj509
2013-06-12, 10:43 PM
First off, found Saph's (great) Summoner's Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184592). Since it's a couple years old, wondering if much has changed in terms of new sources and such.

Second, I recall recently seeing some discussion of a class similar to the summoner, but something along the lines of merging forms with the eidolon to buff the caster instead of having a separate creature. My google-fu can't find mention of such a class (or prestige class), and I'm wondering if I misunderstood some side comments in a thread or something.

Question about healing the Eidolon for the Summoner though, it looks like the only ways to heal it are magical healing, or tossing it some hit points when it would otherwise be downed. Is this correct?

Just trying to think about options for an upcoming campaign, not seeking builds.

JusticeZero
2013-06-12, 11:16 PM
I think i've heard mention of such a thing too. I don't know the reference, as there are no summoners in my current campaign setting. An Aegis's Astral armor works in a similar way as eidolons' evolutions, but that probably isn't the reference you are thinking of.

genderlich
2013-06-12, 11:21 PM
Boom (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/summoner/archetypes/paizo---summoner-archetypes/synthesist). Bear in mind that it's widely considered to be grossly overpowered and I think it's banned in Pathfinder Society play.

Venusaur
2013-06-12, 11:24 PM
That's a synthesist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/summoner/archetypes/paizo---summoner-archetypes/synthesist), a summoner archetype. It seems op, but it's actually regarded as a nerf, because you lose action economy.

grarrrg
2013-06-12, 11:30 PM
Second, I recall recently seeing some discussion of a class similar to the summoner, but something along the lines of merging forms with the eidolon to buff the caster instead of having a separate creature. My google-fu can't find mention of such a class (or prestige class), and I'm wondering if I misunderstood some side comments in a thread or something.

You are thinking of a Summoner Archetype (someone else already linked it).
As stated, it is technically a Nerf. But it does let you get away with builds that would otherwise be impossible or really hard to pull off *cough*gundolon*cough*.

Generally "Caster AND Beatstick" is better than "Caster IS the Beatstick".

That, and Paizo has pretty much given up on actually making Official Rulings on how the thing actually works.
They got as far as "Armor?" (no), and "healing?" (Rejuvinate Eidolon spells only), and then gave up.

Question about healing the Eidolon for the Summoner though, it looks like the only ways to heal it are magical healing, or tossing it some hit points when it would otherwise be downed. Is this correct?

All Eidolons EXCEPT for Synthesist can heal any way that a normal character could.
Synthesist Eidolons have VERY odd restrictions.

huttj509
2013-06-13, 12:12 AM
All Eidolons EXCEPT for Synthesist can heal any way that a normal character could.
Synthesist Eidolons have VERY odd restrictions.

"A summoner can summon his eidolon in a ritual that takes 1 minute to perform. When summoned in this way, the eidolon hit points are unchanged from the last time it was dismissed or banished. The only exception to this is if the eidolon was slain, in which case it returns with half its normal hit points. The eidolon does not heal naturally. The eidolon remains until dismissed by the summoner (a standard action)."

Looks like there's no heal option without magic. Though 1hp/level/8 hours bed rest isn't very quick anyway, so it'll just be another target for CLW wands (or eidolon restoration wands, depending an availability).