PDA

View Full Version : JERMLAINE totally not good for a normal party?

CyberThread
2013-06-12, 11:10 PM
are JERMLAINE bannable for a normal party make up you think?

Flickerdart
2013-06-12, 11:17 PM
Your average D&D setting is a world where a man can snap his fingers and a swarm of bees appears from thin air, only to offer you a refreshing cup of tea. The next guy can transform into a dragon, mate with another dragon, and then produce a human child because the other person was also secretly human. People routinely come back from the dead, talk to gods, call demons to do their bidding, ride dinosaurs, and kill things using physical manifestations of good and evil.

Normal? Never heard of it.

Jett Midknight
2013-06-12, 11:28 PM
What is JERMLAINE?

Flickerdart
2013-06-12, 11:30 PM
Jermlaines are LA0 Tiny creatures from MMII. You can make them ride squirrels and stuff and have a cute little mounted knight.

Snowbluff
2013-06-12, 11:36 PM
Jermlaines are LA0 Tiny creatures from MMII. You can make them ride squirrels and stuff and have a cute little mounted knight.

That is so adorable. I'm going to miss this while playtesting 5e.

Dessembrae
2013-06-12, 11:38 PM
I'd probably allow it.

Tiny Fey
-8 Strength
+6 Dexterity
-2 Constitution
-2 Intelligence
+6 Wisdom
-4 Charisma

Speak with Animals (Rats only) at will (CL set at 3)

It doesn't seem too crazy.

mistformsquirrl
2013-06-12, 11:48 PM

Well, I think I've discovered my next character perhaps. <o.<> Hi-ho Squirrel, AWAY!

CyberThread
2013-06-13, 12:06 AM
they also get wild empathy

Tvtyrant
2013-06-13, 12:09 AM
Almost broken good on a divine caster (+6 wisdom and big jump in AC.) Level 1 Druid riding a hawk is crazy awesome, or a tiny Cleric who huddles behind his fighter friend.

Other than divine casters it is just average, or even underpowered.

CyberThread
2013-06-13, 12:19 AM
what would they even wildshape into lol

ArcturusV
2013-06-13, 12:20 AM
Sparrows are Tiny. And Flight is always good.

Tvtyrant
2013-06-13, 12:20 AM

Well they're faeries right?

http://www.cgsociety.org/stories/2007_02/amazing/im03.jpg

The Glyphstone
2013-06-13, 12:23 AM
Sparrows are Tiny. And Flight is always good.

Wouldn't it still need to be 11th level Druid to Wildshape into a Tiny animal? WS gives no special clause I can see for non-Medium druids.

eggynack
2013-06-13, 12:26 AM
Bears? Probably bears. And desmodu hunting bats at 5th, as per usual. You presumably don't need to rely on a go to flying defensive form as much with this strategy, but it's nice to have.

ArcturusV
2013-06-13, 12:27 AM
So it is. How dare I think Logical. Nah, the Jermaline Druid will just turn into a medium or small animal at first.

Which I suppose is funny on it's own part. "oh, it's a little... Hmm... black bear... damn..."

sonofzeal
2013-06-13, 12:40 AM
Wouldn't it still need to be 11th level Druid to Wildshape into a Tiny animal? WS gives no special clause I can see for non-Medium druids.
There's a feat for that. But yeah.

CyberThread
2013-06-13, 01:00 AM
do you think a jermlaine would do well as a druid//soulknife/soulbow?

Tvtyrant
2013-06-13, 01:03 AM
Should be fine. Ride your Eagle while shooting soul bits at people, or turn into something and keep shooting soul bits.

Just remember to shout "spirit gun!" as you do it :D

CyberThread
2013-06-13, 02:29 AM
Looked it over for a bit, and found once I started doing the build, being tiny really hurts(wish could be warlock , but not arcane haha)).

I did find the pyrokeneticist oddly enough though, which no matter your size you get 15ft reach + a flat 1d8 damage, which Ill probably use a variant to use acid or sonic.

but what to fill those first 5 levels with hmm..

Fyermind
2013-06-13, 02:45 AM
Swordsage Jermaines are awesome. With good tumble and interesting maneuvers they can be all over opponents. Furthermore underfoot combatant feats and the like can make them brutal to basically everyone.

When they are getting +11 to hide just for being tiny with +6 dex, and +8 AC from +6 dex, +6 wis, and tiny, you really have to think about how hard to fight they become.

I'd say they are a high op race suitable for games that ban the more crazed kobolds, but allow dragonwrought venerable ones for ability score boosts.

Spuddles
2013-06-13, 03:06 AM
Produce flame optimization would be pretty badass on a jermlaine, thanks to the size & dex bonus to attack. Ride around on a hawk.

Here is how to optimize produce flame:
Ring of Mystic Fire, MIC- add up to 4d6 damage to a fire spell
Extend Spell- Double the total number of attacks you can make with a single casting of produce flame
Empower Spell- (5d6+5)x1.5 is a pretty good damage multiplier, and empower spell is nice to pick up on a lesser metamagic rod.
Rapid Shot- make an extra attack with produce flame.
Two Weapon Fighting- make an extra attack with produce flame
If you are feeling fancy, Energy Admixture (lightning) adds another 1d6+5 lightning damage. Use a Ring of Mystic Lightning to bump that up another 4d6 damage.

So with a metamagic rod of power and the two rings above and a fifth level spell slot, you can make CL+1 touch attacks that do (10d6+10)x1.5 damage per attack. With the feats, at level 10, you can make 4 attacks a round at an average of 67 damage each.

CyberThread
2013-06-13, 03:27 AM
haha,ty but no on the flame bit, as for everything else. I am fiddling with this

Swordsage 5 / Sonokenticst 3 | Druid 8

Chronos
2013-06-13, 10:32 AM
Dessembrae, tiny size and a +6 to two different ability scores doesn't seem too crazy to you? Sure, they make lousy fighters, but that's irrelevant, since nobody in their right mind would ever make a jermlaine fighter. They're an awfully darned good rogue, though, or a great cleric, or an absolutely insane druid.

Flickerdart
2013-06-13, 10:45 AM
Sure, they make lousy fighters, but that's irrelevant, since nobody in their right mind would ever make a jermlaine fighter.
I've seen fairly effective mounted combat builds using jermlaines. They only have -1 to hit compared to a medium sized fighter (-3 from Strength, +2 from size) and their lances deal less damage, but they benefit from PA like anyone else and have no trouble racking up enough damage despite the penalties.

Piggy Knowles
2013-06-13, 10:48 AM
I've seen fairly effective mounted combat builds using jermlaines. They only have -1 to hit compared to a medium sized fighter (-3 from Strength, +2 from size) and their lances deal less damage, but they benefit from PA like anyone else and have no trouble racking up enough damage despite the penalties.

Of course, getting the necessary Strength to qualify for PA is another concern... 3 levels in Ape Totem Barbarian or a dip into Overwhelming Attack Monk is practically a must.

Flickerdart
2013-06-13, 10:59 AM
Of course, getting the necessary Strength to qualify for PA is another concern... 3 levels in Ape Totem Barbarian or a dip into Overwhelming Attack Monk is practically a must.
If you PB for 18, you have 12, which becomes 13 at level 4. If you're a fighter, you get a bonus feat at that level, so take Power Attack. Or yes, get a bonus feat - there's a Ranger variant fighting style in some Dragon that gives Power Attack at level 2 so you can use that instead.

Deadline
2013-06-13, 11:24 AM
If you PB for 18, you have 12, which becomes 13 at level 4. If you're a fighter, you get a bonus feat at that level, so take Power Attack. Or yes, get a bonus feat - there's a Ranger variant fighting style in some Dragon that gives Power Attack at level 2 so you can use that instead.

Unless the update booklet changed it, Jermlaines have a -8 Str mod. So that's 10 Str after racial mods, not 12.

Kazyan
2013-06-13, 11:26 AM
Just go OA Monk; you want that Wis to AC anyway.

CyberThread
2013-06-13, 01:31 PM
icky melee haha, maybe swordsage is just better?

Eloel
2015-03-21, 03:55 AM
Again, just go Druid and wildshape into a bear.

Eldan
2015-03-21, 06:40 AM
icky melee haha, maybe swordsage is just better?

Setting Sun Swordsage would be funny, at least.

WeaselGuy
2015-03-21, 06:55 AM
I'm actually in the process of building a Dragonborn Muckdweller at the moment. Haven't quite decided what I want him to do yet though. Was leaning towards Scout, probably Swift Hunter Scout/Ranger, Ranged Combat Style. The little guy will be shooting toothpicks, but these toothpicks will do skirmish damage.

Lo77o
2015-03-21, 07:27 AM
Would you mind going over exactly how you came to the conclusion that this is a LA0 playable race, and how you got it updated to 3.5 ?

Inevitability
2015-03-21, 07:43 AM
Would you mind going over exactly how you came to the conclusion that this is a LA0 playable race, and how you got it updated to 3.5 ?

MM2 update booklet. WOTC should have it somewhere on their site.

Haruki-kun
2015-03-21, 10:04 AM
The Winged Mod: Thread Necromancy.