PDA

View Full Version : Editing documents in Word

Serpentine
2013-06-13, 12:02 PM
Specifically: how do you do it so that it shows what you've changed? I've agreed to try editing a friend's story, and as some of what I'll do will involve making suggestions for rephrasing and similar relatively major changes, I'd like to make it easy for him to see what I've done in case he disagrees. I'm sure I saw a way to do that in older versions of Word... I think this one's the newest, whatever that might be now.

Mando Knight
2013-06-13, 12:13 PM
Go to the Review tab. From there you can tell it to track changes and change which version you see (final, original, or either one with changes highlighted).

It'll also let you post comments, for when you want to explain your changes in detail.

Serpentine
2013-06-13, 12:17 PM
Aha! I knew there was a way to do it! Thanks, I'll check it tomorrow.

Hbgplayer
2013-06-13, 09:20 PM
Well, that's good to know for myself, and is much better than what I was going to sugges, which was going to be change the color of the text you change.

noparlpf
2013-06-14, 08:29 AM
Usually I just add notes/comments (I think Ctrl-Alt-N in Word; it's Ctrl-Alt-C in OpenOffice) instead. But that Review function could be handy. Do you know if there's a similar thing in OpenOffice?

factotum
2013-06-14, 10:43 AM
Usually I just add notes/comments (I think Ctrl-Alt-N in Word; it's Ctrl-Alt-C in OpenOffice) instead. But that Review function could be handy. Do you know if there's a similar thing in OpenOffice?

Edit->Changes->Record will do something similar, I believe, although I've not used it myself and can't vouch for its efficacy.

noparlpf
2013-06-14, 11:34 AM
Edit->Changes->Record will do something similar, I believe, although I've not used it myself and can't vouch for its efficacy.

Hmm. Look like any text you insert is automatically yellowish and underlined. If you select and write over, or delete, existing text, it turns that yellowish, but with a strikethrough; in the case of writing over existing text, the new text appears yellowish and underlined next to the yellowish struck-through text. Nifty. This should save me lots of time manually underlining or highlighting things. Wonder if it carries over when opened in MS Word, though.