PDA

View Full Version : The Hitchhiker, absolutely nothing to do with the galaxy (3.5 Base Class) PEACH

Moonwolf727
2013-06-13, 03:45 PM
Design notes and inspiration:

So I've been wanting to make a class of my own for ages. Not exactly sure why I havent done so before but it probably has to do with the fact that I do all my working out at once and planning is JUST SO BORING. Either way, I haven't changed that mindset, this thing is being made on the fly as I write it out. Mostly. Obviously I've thought about this a little before now.

Anyway, onto the inspirations. Possession has been a thing I was interested in for a lot of my life, though I've never looked into the real world superstitions about it, and I need to be interested in something if I'm going to write about it. So now you know why specifically that. I take some inspiration from the Harrowed base class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188148) by Lord_Gareth as you might notice from the familiarity of how Housekeepings work kind-of like Harrowings. As well as some of the general theme I suppose. (If you haven't ever read or played a Harrowed I implore you to do at least one of them. It's a great class and I love the feel of it).

And thats about it really. I could go into more detail but I'd just end up rambling if I did. As a side note, even though it doesn't have much impact on the class itself, I'm listening to Paper Tigers by Owl City (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GknwrcWcQWI&feature=endscreen&NR=1) as I write this. Just felt like sharing that with you.

Finally, THIS CLASS IS OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS.

The Hitchhiker

There are plenty of beings that get killed every single day and most of them just give up the ghost and move onto an afterlife. Not you. You were something, be it an Abberation, Outsider, Elemental or simply in possession of some extremely potent magic, that survived in one form or another. Well, not quite survived, the quality of living certainly plummeted, but you definitely persisted in some way. More than a ghost but less than a god, or is this the wrong system for that?

Either way, without a body you had to make some drastic choices, you made a jump, a leap of astronomical proportions, and landed yourself a new vessel. Too bad there was already an occupant. Now here is where it gets variable, you could have crushed the essence of whatever being you snatched a body from so rudely, or you could have melded with them almost entirely to form a gestalt mind, or you could have simply gotten in and then worked out an agreeable arrangement for your stay in their physical form. Whatever happened, there are some changes in store for at least one of you.

This is possibly the most diverse part of the class and it is entirely up to you, and your DM if they're really strict, what kind of dynamic you have with your host. And I'll make this extra clear in-case it wasn't already, you are playing the one who fled, you aren't the person being possessed, you are the possesser, hence the name of the class.

Another thing worth noting is that not all Hitchhikers will have just died, or even been alive in the first place, you don't have to be some formerly great outsider that got its ass kicked in some, presumably dramatic, fashion before fleeing halfway across the planes to avoid utter destruction (Though this is still entirely possible if you want to do it). You could easily have been a small and diminished being, never great or mighty, trying to make your way to fame by catching a ride on something that could make you great, maybe being agressive or perhaps a little sheepish about the whole sudden possesion schtick. Maybe you were a small god that has been sleeping for far too long or simply lost too many worshipers to matter anymore, think of something like Om from Terry Pratchet's marvelous work of art; Small Gods. (DM's, don't let your player be a god of something like fire or souls, this is a recipe for disaster unless you really know them well enough to understand that they won't ham it up to eleven or abuse the idea). You need not have even existed before this point at all, perhaps you were spawned from the belief of a few fervant worshippers and are too young and weak to support a physical form of your own, maybe you are a gentle nature spirit coalesced purely from a young girl's love of flowers and have taken root in her soul just as flora takes root in the soil. In short, the possibilities for what you are are endless, and even more myriad are the ways you and your host interact or feel about eachother which can range from openly warring to passive-agressiveness to a professional buisiness-like deal or just mutual interests and friendship.

This is a class that will, hopefully, be interesting to roleplay, which is partially what it is made for, and you shouldn't bother with it if you can't be assed to play the part properly. The dynamic between you and your host is something you should work out on your own since it is very variable and has a large impact on how you roleplay. I won't interfere any further but I wanted to give you an idea of how important this is to the way you function as a player.

Abilities: Meh. I'll sum this up when the class is actually done.

Role: Becoming a scout is certainly possible, however, your skills are wide open and you could become many different things, though not all at once. You'll certainly find work as a supportive caster and you can hold your own for a little while as a competant melee backup.

Background: Covered under the roleplaying sidebar. Your background is highly mercurial and is only ever what you make of it. But there is definitely a reason for your having to body surf into someone else and you'd better have that reason sorted out properly if you intend to roleplay this class, and if you don't intend to roleplay you should just leave now.

Organization: It isn't very often that Hitchhikers have any sort of organization binding them together. Most, if not all, Hitchhikers are a unique case and have little in common with others of their kind aside from abilities and the general nature of their strange living arrangements. This isn't exactly helped by the fact that most adults don't go galavanting around telling everyone that they have a voice in their head which gives them powers and occasionally seizes control from them. Children who end up being a vessel for a Hitchhiker often have it written off as simply being an imaginary friend or just the workings of a child's fanciful mind.

Alignment: Any and all of them. All Hitchhikers are unique and have their own morals or integrity and uphold them in different ways, often based off of how they came to be in this position in the first place. Obviously an evil genie who has been sealed in a bottle for a thousand years and cannot support itself without a host is going to have different priorities from a kind and gentle manifestation of the lullaby a newly deceased mother remembered fondly and once upon a time sang to her children.

Races: Any race has a chance of being suddenly jumped by the essence of another creature, though an elemental or outsider has no chance of surviving the experience themselves due to the singular nature of their soul and body. Humans are the most common race simply because they are commonly the ruling race and very numerous in most campaign settings. If the being that jumped ship had a preference for dwarves then you can expect them to have taken an extra few seconds to aim themselves for a dwarven stronghold before they made their extra-planar leap. It could even be that you were trying for a specific being or group and missed entirely, ending up stuck in something less than preferential.

Another awkward thing that isn't entirely clear and I feel needs some explaining. Even though you play the being that has taken residence in someone else's mind/soul/body you are considered to be their race not your own. An ancient lizardfolk lich who smashed their phylactery and moved on to using a young elf child as a proxy is not going to be considered a lizardfolk for the purposes of race, they would count as an elf.

Do you get it?!

Religion: A Hitchhiker will often worship whatever they worshipped before they had to olly-outy of their body across the cosmos and into someone else. If you were a god then feel free to worship yourself or nothing at all. If you were a being without any concept of religion then feel free to be utterly confuzzled about the very idea of paying reverance to a lifeform that you hardly know. The choice will always be in your hands.

Other Classes: Highly variable, as with almost everything in this goddamned class, it depends on a number of different factors. What are their opinions on possession? (Clerics will likely try to exorcise you at some point). Are they even aware of your presence or has the host been keeping you a secret for a long time? (Definitely a way to encourage inter-party conflict for some extra tension). What even are you anyway? does it matter to this person? The nature of what you are will often impact on this immensely, as does how you deal with your host as well.

Adaptation: I don't want to boast for myself or insult any of you but this class is so variable and adaptable that you'd be hard-pressed not to come up with a dozen concepts that fit in with your specific campaign setting. Do whatever fits, I honestly don't mind if you twist the fluff over itself into a knot as long as it works for you and your DM. Go nuts.

Hit Dice: D8

Class skills: You may choose any eight skills to be class skills. Once made this choice is permanent and may not be changed.

Skill points at first level: (4 + Int Modifier) x 4
Skill points at subsequent levels: 4 + Int Modifier

{table=head]Level|Base Attac Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Class Features

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Well Now What?, Manifest Presence (1d6)

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Housekeeping, Little Tricks

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+3|Manifest Presence (2d6)

4th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4|Housekeeping, Vital infusion

5th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4|Manifest Presence (3d6), The Heart Is Your House

6th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+5|Housekeeping, Bright Eyes

7th|
+5|
+2|
+2|
+5|Manifest Presence (4d6), Butterfly Wings

8th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+2|
+6|Vital Infusion, Housekeeping

9th|
+6/+1|
+3|
+3|
+6|Manifest Presence (5d6), Repayment

10th|
+7/+2|
+3|
+3|
+7|A Sound Mind, Housekeeping

11th|
+8/+3|
+3|
+3|
+7|Manifest Presence (6d6), Repayment

12th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+4|
+8|Vital Infusion, Housekeeping

13th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+4|
+8|Manifest Presence (7d6), Repayment

14th|
+10/+5|
+4|
+4|
+9|Housekeeping, Butterfly Wings

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+5|
+9|Manifest Presence (8d6), Little Birdhouse In Their Soul

16th|
+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+10|Vital Infusion, Housekeeping

17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+10|Manifest Presence (9d6),

18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+6|
+6|
+11|Housekeeping, Vital Infusion

19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+11|Manifest Presence (10d6),

20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+6|
+6|
+12|Abandon Ship!/Seemless Melding, Housekeeping, Vital Infusion
[/table]

Well Now What? (Su):
You're in quite the pickle aren't you? The answer is yes, assuming of course that you didn't intend for yourself to get caught up inside some mortal mess of a person. If you did, well good for you.

You and your Host are considered one being for all purposes pertaining to effects and abilities targetting you. Due to the disconnection between the two distinct minds in your body, or between your body and your mind if the previous inhabitant has been thoroughly squashed down, you gain a +2 bonus on all will saving throws against mind-affecting effects and abilities. You are tied to your Host very securely and cannot break the bond yourself, much to many Hitchhikers chagrin, as such any attempts to exorcise you are rebuffed. Anyone attempting to seperate you and your Host via anything less powerful than the direct intervention of a deity, epic magic doesn't count, takes 1d3 Wisdom damage and becomes Nauseated for a number of hours equal to your Class Level.

Manifest Presence (Sp):
So you're cooped up inside another corporeal being, what is a physically-challenged lifeform like yourself to do? Well you could always take a moment to stretch your energy and see if you can get the magical juices flowing again.

(PENDING REWRITE)

Housekeeping:
Your new vessel is certainly something, all those organs and suchlike doing who-knows-what and pumping things who-knows-where, but it could be more efficient in your eyes. Or perhaps you just want to add a few extras to 'pimp your ride' as it were.

Upon attaining 2nd level and every two levels afterwards (4th, 6th, 8th etc etc) you may choose one Housekeeping from the list below (It's probably in the next post). Housekeepings are usually just alterations made to the body and therefore extraordinary however they can be otherwise, whether or not they are is stated in the individual entries. Once chosen a Housekeeping is permanent and cannot be changed.

Little Tricks (Sp):
What would you be without the trivial little things you can do? Everyone needs a toy to entertain themselves with sometimes, boredom is naturally occuring after all. And all the better to entice your hapless mortal host with if you are that way inclined towards mischief.

You can now use Prestidigitation as a Spell-Like ability at-will. Choose five other Cantrips/Orisons from the Wizard/Sorcerer or Cleric spell lists (This is five in total, not five from each list) in addition to Prestidigitation, you can also make use of these as at-will Spell-Like abilities in the same manner as you would Prestidigitation. These Spell-like abilities are considered to have a caster-level of one for the purposes of their effects but do not grant you a caster level of your own for the purposes of qualifying for prestige classes. Once made this choice cannot be changed and is permanent.

Vital infusion:

UUUUGH, maybe later.

The heart is your house (Su):
You've nestled into place quite comfortably, even if the previous occupant is still around or ground into a fine paste you haven't quite got the hang of clearing out the mentality of your unwitting landlord yet. Regardless, you've become protective of the body you have found yourself in.

At fifth level, a number of times per day equal to your Class Level/3 (Round down) + CHA Modifier (Minimum 1) you may use your Manifest Presence class feature in response to being targetted for an attack, spell or ability assuming you are alive afterward. You may only target the originator of the attack, spell or ability with your Manifest Presence ability and they must be withing the 60' range of your Manifest Presence feature* this is a free action taken immediately regardless of whether it is your turn.

*(if you have another class feature, such as a housekeeping, which allows for a different range on your Manifest Presence feature you may substitute that range instead).

Bright Eyes (Su):
That sparkle that some people seem to possess for absolutely no reason is now yours. Except that in the case of your host it is more than just a sign of happiness or whatnot, it allows them to notice things that most others wouldn't, like magic.

At sixth level you gain a passive detect magic effect on your person. You must spend a number of rounds focusing on the specific thing as if you were using detect magic to notice particulars but you are always treated as if you had spent a single round focusing on an object for the purposes of noticing whether or not it carries a magical aura. This ability may be suppressed or reactivated by spending a free action to do so. The use of this ability is not impared if you lose your sight, it is simply utilized by a different sense, such as smell or touch. If you ever lose access to all five of your senses you may not use this ability until you have regained at least one of them. If you possess unimpaired sight as well as another sense then this ability defaults to using your sight.

If you or your DM would prefer that this ability functions as Detect Psionics rather than as Detect Magic then please feel free to make that decision for youselves. I recommend that you don't let it function as both at the same time howver this really is a thing to ask your DM about if it ever comes up.

Butterfly Wings (Su/Ex):
You've emerged from your cocoon and now your host is sporting a brand new pair of gossamer butterfly wings. Well, not literally. Not unless you really want them to.

At seventh level you gain a fly speed equal to one and a half times your base land speed (rounded up to a multiple of five feet) with average manueverability. At fourteenth level your fly speed increases to double your base land speed and your manueverability becomes perfect.

It is not compulsary to use literal wings in order to fly. A character may rely on an item, such as a hoverboard if you want to be cliche, or supernatural effects in order to utilize this class feature. Those using wings or another physical object should treat this ability as Extraordinary while those using magical or otherwise unreal effects should treat this ability as Supernatural.

Repayment:
You're a tenant taking up space in a house that may or may not still have a landlord at all. Regardless of that, when the rent is due you have to pay up and an infusion of your essence is the price.

Upon gaining this class feature you may choose one of the following passive abilities, this ability is permanently in effect unless you spend a free action to supress it (You may spend another free action to reactivate it at any time). You may not choose the same ability from the following list more than once unless specifically stated.

(List coming whenever)

In case you haven't noticed, this isn't quite finished yet.
Feel free to comment on the concept while I work out the rest of this fiasco.

Moonwolf727
2013-06-13, 04:00 PM
Reserved in case of feats or overflow.

NosferatuZodd
2013-06-19, 05:46 PM
I hope you're still working on this, I love the idea.

TheWombatOfDoom
2013-06-20, 08:11 AM
I love your flavorful descriptions. Still reading, but this idea is excellent. :smallsmile:

Moonwolf727
2013-06-20, 11:21 AM
I hope you're still working on this, I love the idea.

I'm still working on it in some ways. The reason I've been so slow with this has just been a lack of motivation up until now and maybe a little bit of it is because of the drawbacks to writing something on the fly. I'm going to scrap retainers because they were a half-baked idea and I just cannot be bothered to make them scale properly.

I love your flavorful descriptions. Still reading, but this idea is excellent. :smallsmile:

Thank you! :smallsmile:

I really only made this because I wanted an excuse to get the concept out of my head.

Krade
2013-06-20, 09:04 PM
So far it looks really neat, but the fluff of it feels like it would serve better as a template rather than it's own class.