PDA

View Full Version : Highly Accurate Trip Fighter?

Gwazi Magnum
2013-06-13, 06:13 PM
I'm looking at making a character who focuses on tripping enemies and extra attacks from it.

It's a level 8 Gestalt Build.

Main things I want to focus on combat wise are:

1. Extra attacks
2. Extra Reach/range
3. Extra Attack and Critical Hit Chance

Outside of that I'm just looking for a decent damage output, durability (d10 HD with 14 Constitution should work) and a decent skill point selection so I'm not a one dimensional fighter kind of character.

eggynack
2013-06-13, 06:25 PM
Well, my traditional melee build works pretty well on this. I don't know how it works with gestalt, but the basic opening is fighter 2/barbarian 2, with the barbarian taking wolf totem, spirit lion totem, and whirling frenzy. For feats, you obviously want knock-down, and maybe combat reflexes, extra rage, and EWP: spiked chain. You could always toss some large race with LA onto the other side, so you get great reach and better tripping. The whole set up fulfills both the goal of extra attacks, and the goal of reach. You can charge in, and get the standard attack, trip, attack, pattern on all of your iteratives. At level 8, you could actually take the first level of runescarred berserker. I bring it up a lot, but that class is amazing. It really takes you away from being a one dimensional melee guy.

Flickerdart
2013-06-13, 06:57 PM
I like Factotum (Brains over Brawn, +INT to trip checks) and Monk (Decisive Strike is great cause it doubles damage on all your AoOs too, plus you can get a lot of the feats you want as bonus feats) in my trippers. Knockdown is, of course, a must.

TheMooch
2013-06-13, 07:37 PM
barbarian 2/ x 6\\half-minotaur 1/psychic warrior 7

the half-minotaur and psychic warrior are for the size and reach increases
use barbarian like eggynack your 6 levels of whatever could be either crusador for manuevers (thicket of blades) or cleric (eventually champion of gwfgar sp?) for self buffs and wis synergy

Gwazi Magnum
2013-06-13, 09:33 PM
Charging I've ran into the problem of it's hard to position yourself up so the next turn you can charge again.

As for Factotum, it's personally just not a class I like that much and is one where if I picked it my DM would rule I lose Gestalt by being a spell caster (Gestalts kind of being used a balance measure).

Jeff the Green
2013-06-13, 09:58 PM
Charging I've ran into the problem of it's hard to position yourself up so the next turn you can charge again.

As for Factotum, it's personally just not a class I like that much and is one where if I picked it my DM would rule I lose Gestalt by being a spell caster (Gestalts kind of being used a balance measure).

You might see if you could drop the spellcasting (maybe for maneuvers as a warblade of your level/2) and/or only take the three levels you need to not count as spellcasting.

eggynack
2013-06-13, 10:02 PM
Well, either you don't need to charge again, because the enemy is still breathing, or you likely have the capacity to charge, because the enemy is not still breathing. My build isn't actually reliant on charging to get stuff done. It's just an extra thing that gives you mobility at the beginning of combat. After you're in position, you mostly just stand in one place, and lock down everyone within fifteen feet, while simultaneously killing them. Unless you're running shock trooper, which might be a good idea, you mostly just charge when it's more convenient than not charging, instead of setting up circumstances so that you can charge.

karkus
2013-06-13, 10:28 PM
Knock-Down

Your mighty blows can knock foes off their feet.

Prerequisites: Base attack bonus +2, Improved Trip, Str 15+.

I know, I know. Sword and Fist is a 3.0 rulebook, but this feat seems reasonably reasonable, right?

Flickerdart
2013-06-13, 10:36 PM
I know, I know. Sword and Fist is a 3.0 rulebook, but this feat seems reasonably reasonable, right?
Knockdown is actually in the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#knockDown).