PDA

View Full Version : Stunning/Paralyzing feats, maneuvers, etc.

Yogibear41
2013-06-13, 07:09 PM
Looking for some stuff similar to stunning fist that a melee character can do to stun/paralyze/disable a combatant for multiple rounds in a combat. "stun lock" if you will. Would prefer stuff that doesn't involve grappling. More along the lines of a single assassin character who fights dirty sent in to take out a mark or something. Looking for stuff usable around level 4-8.

Thanks for the help! :smallsmile:

StreamOfTheSky
2013-06-13, 07:22 PM
{Link scrubbed}Imperious_Command[/url]

That's a good one. Combine it with Intimidating Strike feat, Never Outnumbered skill trick, and/or the Intimidating Rage feat for best results.

Staggering Strike feat for sneak attackers won't completely shut down a monster, but it will keep it from full attacking.

eggynack
2013-06-13, 07:36 PM
Don't forget instantaneous rage. Suddenly, you can cause everyone in a radius to be crazily debuffed, and do so at any time you want. I think that's the only thing missing from the standard barbarian intimidation build. Also, you go into a frenzy to do it, so your win condition solves itself. Alternatively, you can always run a zhentarim soldier, which is about as good where intimidation is concerned. I've never looked into the specifics of that build, but it's probably pretty sweet. The best part is, these builds can easily fit on as addendums to classic melee shenanigans. Most barbarian stuff doesn't take feats, so you can still attach most of tripping and charging for free, and fill out the rest with whatever you have left.

Yogibear41
2013-06-13, 09:24 PM
Good suggestions, but looking for something with a more roguish feel than a barbarian(like the staggering strike that was mentioned). Like low blowing someone, throwing sand in their eyes, or a kidney punch. Basically being cheap and being good at it.

Also what is a zhentarium soldier, don't believe I have ever heard of that?

eggynack
2013-06-13, 10:06 PM
Zhentarim soldier is an ACF for fighters, except it doesn't really lose anything in order to gain stuff. You can find it under the download link in the champions of valor web enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060327a). Due to the whole, "no downside" thing, I'd advise taking it on any fighter that's running for more than two levels, because that's where the abilities start.

Valwyn
2013-06-13, 10:39 PM
I knew this list would come in handy one day:

DAZED:

Dire Flail Smash [Fighter, General] (Champions of Ruin, p. 17)
Shield Slam [Fighter Bonus Feat, General] (Complete Warrior, p. 105)

SICKENED:

Brutal Strike [Fighter, General] (Player's Handbook II, p. 76)

NAUSEATED:

Three Mountains [Style] (Complete Warrior, p. 114)

CONFUSED:

Sun School [Tactical] (Complete Warrior, p. 112)
Head Shot [Ambush] (Complete Scoundrel, p. 77)

SHAKEN:

Dreadful Wrath [Regional] (Player's Guide to Faerūn, p. 38)
Daunting Presence [General, Fighter] (Libris Mortis, p. 25)
Intimidating Strike [General, Fighter] (Player's Handbook II, p. 79)
Intimidating Rage (Masters of the Wild, p. 24)
Frightful Presence (Draconomicon, p. 105)
Imperious Command (Drow of the Underdark, p. 50)
Terrifying Strike [Ambush] (Drow of the Underdark, p. 54)
Intimidating Rage (Complete Warrior, p. 102)
Mortifying Attack (Champions of Ruin, p. 20)

COWER:

Imperious Command (Drow of the Underdark, p. 50)

PARALYZED:

Paralyzing Fists [Fighter Bonus Feat, General] (Ghostwalk, p. 51)

STUNNED:

Pharaoh's Fist [General, Fighter] (Sandstorm, p. 51)

Admitedly, it won't help much against undead, golems, and the like, but there's a few to chose from. :smalltongue:

Yogibear41
2013-06-13, 11:11 PM
Does 3 mountains work if you dual weild morningstars/heave maces and hit once with each? or does it have to be the same weapon?

Thurbane
2013-06-14, 03:21 AM
Heavy feat investment, and not exactly a great weapon, but Dire Flail Smash is great against Constructs and Undead, since they usually don't have great Fort saves, and they aren't immune to the Dazed condition (either are Elementals, Oozes or Plants).

Nice, I hadn't really looked at this feat before. I'll have to keep it in mind for my Aleax slaying build! :smallbiggrin:

ahenobarbi
2013-06-14, 03:27 AM
How about using poisons(see this handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=udjfujm4iprvvcrqltocq3tnv0&topic=4854.msg162790#msg162790))?

TuggyNE
2013-06-14, 04:28 AM
Heavy feat investment, and not exactly a great weapon, but Dire Flail Smash is great against Constructs and Undead, since they usually don't have great Fort saves

Does Dire Flail Smash work against objects?

Otherwise, sorry, no dice. :smallfrown:

Valwyn
2013-06-14, 10:22 AM
Does 3 mountains work if you dual weild morningstars/heave maces and hit once with each? or does it have to be the same weapon?

The feat doesn't say anything about TWF, so a DM might say it has to be the same weapon. Personally, I think it could work. Maybe you could try the Simple Q&A (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285715) thread?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-06-14, 10:46 AM
Freezing the Lifeblood, paralysis (CW)
Sudden Stunning weapon enchantment, stun (DMG2)
Head Shot ambush feat, confusion (CS)

Thurbane
2013-06-14, 10:57 PM
Does Dire Flail Smash work against objects?

Otherwise, sorry, no dice. :smallfrown:
Ah...well, there goes that idea. Still good for plants and oozes though...