PDA

View Full Version : (PF) Ranger/Cavalier Combo

Wolfang237
2013-06-13, 08:49 PM
So a big issue with TWF is that you rely completely on full attack actions. This means you need to always have a full action ready or you have to be able to use an equivalent on other actions (like pouncing on a charge). There's lot's of ways to do this, probably, and making an enemy come to you is always nice but bad tactics and smart enemies screw over your damage.

I had a little epiphany (I like theorizing with Rangers so I'm familiar with them - this is a notifier before I plunge into my story) while playing around with Cavalier builds - since Mounted combat is such a huge issue when in 50% of the game's locations (dungeons, small streets, buildings, etc.) I figured I might try to make a halfling cavalier work. The epiphany was when I was looking at mounted feats: can't a small cavalier and TWF ranger use coordinated charge to set up all of the Ranger's full attack actions?

The cavalier can keep up his mobility to stay safe - even indoors - and the cavalier can be the point man for all of the ranger's targets, charging and pulling the ranger with him so the ranger doesn't have to use his own action to move up for a standard attack. this leaves the Ranger's turn open for full attacks and all the sweet deeps. I could see charging lanes as an issue (maybe the cavalier could find something to allow party members to make a free move action to set up and then charge) especially indoors, and seeing as the ranger uses his immediate action, he won't be able to make swift actions on any turn he charges. But seeing as what I'm looking at is a generally reliable way to keep a ranger up against his enemies and leaving turns open, I figure combo-ing the two wouldn't be bad. And the Ranger can take some other teamwork feats to work in tandem with his animal companion - a cat for pounce or a wolf for trip works great - and work his way up to coordinated charge.

Albeit this is all 10th level which means he'll have to have other ways of being effective until then. Any tips and tricks or advice/corrections for this tactic? Also any ideas for TWF tactics before 10?