PDA

View Full Version : RAW RAI Warlock Arcane Archer

Grayson01
2013-06-14, 12:37 AM
Okay here is the question would making a Warlock Arcane Archer violate RAW or RAI?

mattie_p
2013-06-14, 12:54 AM
Okay here is the question would making a Warlock Arcane Archer violate RAW or RAI?

With just those two classes? Yes. Warlocks cannot cast arcane spells. See Complete Arcane, p18

RAI? Yes, because they were very clear on how it qualifies.

Another scenario. Add a level of wizard into the mix. You now qualify. But you can't put invocations into the arrow, as it specifies spell.

Ranos
2013-06-14, 01:00 AM
Warlocks qualify for prestige classes with caster level requirements, but not with spell level requirements.

I'm not sure why you would want to do that anyway.

Grayson01
2013-06-14, 01:12 AM
Thank you both. and the Why Cause it's something Different, I enjoy play a Warlock more then a Wizard or Sorc, and really love the Arcane Archer class. Plus I could think of some intresting ways to mix the two.

prufock
2013-06-14, 06:25 AM
There are ways around this, though. Take the Magical Training feat (Player's Guide to Faerun) along with Versatile Spellcaster (Races of the Dragon) and Heighten Spell (PHB).

Versatile Spellcaster allows you to burn two of your 0-level slots (that you get from Magical Training) to cast a 1st-level (Heightened) spell. Now you meet the spell requirements.

Feat-intensive though, so you'll probably want some flaws (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterFlaws.htm) if your group allows them, since you also need Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, and Weapon Focus. That's 6 feats right there just to qualify.

Honestly, though, unless you're going to homebrew this class to interact better with warlock, I wouldn't bother.

nedz
2013-06-14, 11:29 AM
Eldritch Theurge (Complete Mage p57) might be a better solution.

Using the Spellblast invocation (Class feature — level 3) you can stack a spell onto an eldritch blast, which gives you a similar effect to Arcane Archer without losing caster levels.