PDA

View Full Version : (PF) Witch Scar/Cackle question

Wolfang237
2013-06-14, 01:09 AM
The forums tell you to only post questions you couldn't find the answer to and I have looked for an answer to this one but haven't found it. Apparently Scar allows a witch to us hexes on scarred targets from a mile away. I wouldn't think that this applies to hexes that don't actually apply to the scarred target but apparently it does: the 'accepted' guide for witches (1 of the 3 in the guide to class guides) states that you could scar a few turtles, give them to allies, and then affect every target within 30 ft of any on of those turtles (with split hex you could even do more).

That's great and all but I wonder if, since the hexes they mentioned were 'effect on point of origin to a limited distance' magical effects, would that mean you could use cackle through the scars as well? 'Cause if you could you can conceivably apply Evil eye to 2 targets and then use your move actions to cackle and your standard actions to keep applying Evil Eye to new targets within the 30 feet (or even other debuffs like Misfortune) and keep a running debuff spasm going from up to a mile away.

I also wanted to know if doing this a mile away would even be feasible without sight of some sort? Can you keep scrying up as well as casting hexes? Or is there some other way to have a scar in the field and be able to have sight with it?

so questions:
1) Can cackle be used through scar.
2) Can you cackle as a move and keep applying hexes as standard actions?
3) Can you apply these hexes through scars without sight of any sort (ie just stand a mile away with telepathy and start hitting the hexes when your ally gives you the go-ahead)
4) If 'no' to (3) then what ways could you keep sight up on your scars?

Psyren
2013-06-14, 06:03 AM
so questions:
1) Can cackle be used through scar.
2) Can you cackle as a move and keep applying hexes as standard actions?
3) Can you apply these hexes through scars without sight of any sort (ie just stand a mile away with telepathy and start hitting the hexes when your ally gives you the go-ahead)
4) If 'no' to (3) then what ways could you keep sight up on your scars?

1) I would say no, because Cackle doesn't actually target anything.

2) Yes. In fact, you can even do this in reverse order - for example, I can Evil Eye someone nearby on my first turn, then Cackle as my move action; thus guaranteeing two rounds of EE even if they make their save.

3) The intent seems to be yes, you can hex a scarred target that you cannot see. Note that Scar is a bit poorly-worded though and it doesn't actually outright say you no longer need line of sight.

4) Assuming your DM says you still need to see your target, the scars do explicitly let you scry on them as if you had a body part, so that should be easy enough. Failing that, have your familiar shadow them and peek through its eyes.

Wolfang237
2013-06-14, 03:05 PM
Familiar is good - buff its stealth or get improved so it can use wands and it can be of more use than just eyes for you. I did notice that several hex descriptions say line of sight and that those can be used on your scar target, but I could see it in 2 ways:
a) for the purposes of line of sight, a scar does not count (as scar says you can use any hex on a target but not necessarily that the requirements are met), so you have to scry to achieve line of sight even on the scarred target.
Or
b) that for purposes of line of sight, a scar always counts but anything unscarred doesn't, so things like Evil Eye can only debuff the scarred target, not targets within 30 feet unless scrying.

In the end, though, seeing through your familiar solves all these problems.