PDA

View Full Version : Underdark mounts

flamewolf393
2013-06-14, 03:09 AM
My group is starting an underdark game. The common mount for underdark civilizations are giant lizards. The problem is, how much should they cost? Since they are bred, raised, and trained for this environment in the same way that horses are for the surface, I would think they should not cost *that* much more than horses would. As long as you get them from a breeder in the underdark so he does not incure any shipping expenses. But the only source I can find for a giant riding lizard is A&EG, and it lists them at 1300.

I can understand it costing that much as an exotic mount that had to be shipped in from an underdark civilization, but if you buy one when you are actually there, should it not be *much* cheaper, almost like a standard mount? Because nearly every underdark civ uses them for that, like we use horses. So how much should they really cost?

Grayson01
2013-06-14, 04:49 AM
As for the cost I wouldn't say much cheaper then the 1300 GP. From most of the champiagns and boosk I have read they are no where near as common as other mounts. Normally only nobles or elite Warriors of Houses have Riding lizards. So they would still be pretty pricy. As for the Mechanics of it that I am not sure on you might have already looked at these but I sugest loooking in the Underdark book and the Drow of the Underdark book, they might have some rules in there. I do rememeber reading somewhere that is requires a special Saddle to ride on walls and stay in your seat.

My group is starting an underdark game. The common mount for underdark civilizations are giant lizards. The problem is, how much should they cost? Since they are bred, raised, and trained for this environment in the same way that horses are for the surface, I would think they should not cost *that* much more than horses would. As long as you get them from a breeder in the underdark so he does not incure any shipping expenses. But the only source I can find for a giant riding lizard is A&EG, and it lists them at 1300.

I can understand it costing that much as an exotic mount that had to be shipped in from an underdark civilization, but if you buy one when you are actually there, should it not be *much* cheaper, almost like a standard mount? Because nearly every underdark civ uses them for that, like we use horses. So how much should they really cost?

Also, what kind of penalties would there be for fighting from such a mount while on the walls, and worse, on the ceiling?

Darrin
2013-06-14, 06:18 AM
You can use the Warbeast template from MMII. This puts the price at roughly 75 GP/HD + 100 GP (for creatures 4HD or more) or 50 GP/HD (for creatures 1-3HD).

On the one hand, this produces prices similar to those found for horses, ponies, and riding dogs. On the other hand, this makes high-HD mounts jawdroppingly cheap.

flamewolf393
2013-06-14, 08:47 PM
My entire group seems to be convinced that the warbeast template price is an *additional* cost on top of obtaining the base creature. So thats a no go. Any other suggestions?

ksbsnowowl
2013-06-14, 09:28 PM
As the PC's get higher in level you could look at giving them Stone Fliers from Underdark. They have this cool ability:

Earth Glide Rider (Su): A stone flyer can extend its earth glide ability to include a rider and gear, up to a medium load.