PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Activation time of Xeph-Racial "Burst of Speed"

Feint's End
2013-06-14, 10:25 AM
After reading through XPH and the Errata once more I realized that there is no written Activation time for the Burst of Speed racial ability of Xeph. After looking up the default of Supernatural Abilitys I realized that they get standard action activation if no other activation written. Now I thought it would be more reasonable to allow the activation as a swift action because the standard activation kinda works against the whole speed concept. Is that really thought through or just bad editing once more?

Thoughts?

The Viscount
2013-06-14, 10:46 AM
I'd say poor editing. It's probably based on the burst (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/burst.htm) power, which activiates as a swift. As such, I'd allow it as a swift. Nice catch there. Go ahead and add it to the dysfunctional rules thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15430442#post15430442)

Maginomicon
2013-06-14, 11:15 AM
I'd say poor editing. It's probably based on the burst (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/burst.htm) power, which activiates as a swift. As such, I'd allow it as a swift. Nice catch there. Go ahead and add it to the dysfunctional rules thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15430442#post15430442)
...except the burst power provides an enhancement bonus not a competence bonus, and the xeph's ability lasts for 3 rounds instead of 1 round.

I don't think it's unreasonable for it to have a standard action activation.

The 3.5 FAQ agrees with me:
What kind of action is required for the xeph’s burst racial ability? Is it the same as the burst psionic power (a swift action)? And does it provoke attacks of opportunity?

Though the xeph’s racial ability shares the same name as the psionic power, it doesn’t refer to that power. Thus, the activation time would be 1 standard action, as normal for supernatural abilities. Activating the burst power does not provoke attacks of opportunity(though the xeph’s movement would as normal, of course).

Barsoom
2013-06-14, 12:33 PM
Cue 237 indignant responses pointing out the FAQ is not official (having said that, the rule of "standard action unless specified otherwise" is official, so we're out of luck here)

Feint's End
2013-06-15, 02:55 AM
Also the FAQ just refers to what is obvious and not if the whole thing is RAI (it just explains how it is as written ergo it refers to the basic Su rules and isn't a comment of the designers) and tbh I think it is RAI to allow it as a swift movement -> how much sense makes a speed up ability as a standard action (compared to what other races get at +0 la I don't want to hear overpowered here).

Would be interesting to see what people think of it. Because it might very well be a thing for the Dysfunctional Rules thread but I'm not yet sure since it basically is a RAW/RAI arguement.

Psyren
2013-06-15, 07:57 AM
The Pathfinder Xeph is a swift, I suggest you use that. (In fact, I suggest using the PF versions of all the psionic races.)

Feint's End
2013-06-15, 08:39 AM
The Pathfinder Xeph is a swift, I suggest you use that. (In fact, I suggest using the PF versions of all the psionic races.)

I actually do that in the games I dm but in this case it's about another dm who isn't into changing too much because he sometimes suspects me of changing just in my favour. But if I tell him like this ist should be fine.

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-15, 08:47 AM
Burst (Su): Three times per day, a xeph can put on a burst of speed to increase her speed by 10 feet, plus 10 feet per four character levels beyond 1st, to a maximum increase of 30 feet at 9th character level and higher. These bursts of speed are considered a competence bonus to the xeph’s base speed. A burst of speed lasts 3 rounds.

Supernatural Abilities (Su)

Supernatural abilities are magical and go away in an antimagic field but are not subject to spell resistance, counterspells, or to being dispelled by dispel magic. Using a supernatural ability is a standard action unless noted otherwise. Supernatural abilities may have a use limit or be usable at will, just like spell-like abilities. However, supernatural abilities do not provoke attacks of opportunity and never require Concentration checks. Unless otherwise noted, a supernatural ability has an effective caster level equal to the creature’s Hit Dice. The saving throw (if any) against a supernatural ability is:

10 + ½ the creature’s HD + the creature’s ability modifier (usually Charisma).

RAW is clear, it's a standard action to use the Burst supernatural ability of the Xeph.

Feint's End
2013-06-15, 09:41 AM
RAW is clear, it's a standard action to use the Burst supernatural ability of the Xeph.

I don't argue over RAW ... I'm just saying it is probably RAI (bad editing not something new to WotC) and reasonable to allow swift action activation (as by PF rules)