PDA

View Full Version : Mechanics left out in the cold

Maginomicon
2013-06-14, 11:45 AM
What overarching D&D mechanics got far too little attention in your opinion?

For example, I feel that ability burn got way less attention than it should have. It's ability damage that can't be healed except by natural rest! That's awesome! No more "oop herpty derp I just cast restoration and I'm all better now" that ability damage has.

One mechanic that had potential but was badly worded and never used was Energy Charge. Even as-written it could be great for a situational "you gain one positive level from bathing in the fountain of positive energy" a GM can add to a scenario.

CRtwenty
2013-06-14, 11:59 AM
Spell components almost always get ignored in my games.

Gerrtt
2013-06-14, 12:57 PM
Most games I've played in and run don't care about item weight in general.

SciChronic
2013-06-14, 01:02 PM
You are actually considered flat-footed until your turn starts.

A rule that none of the groups i've been in have actually followed.

CRtwenty
2013-06-14, 01:07 PM

My group actually found out about that recently. Since then the sneak attackers have been in heaven. It also made this comic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0018.html) make a lot more sense.

I'll add in overland travel rules. Generally places are "x days travel" away. No matter how fast or slow the party is actually capable of moving.

Slipperychicken
2013-06-14, 01:11 PM
For example, I feel that ability burn got way less attention than it should have. It's ability damage that can't be healed except by natural rest! That's awesome! No more "oop herpty derp I just cast restoration and I'm all better now" that ability damage has.

Depends on how much your players want to retire their characters out for in-game weeks. This can have issues like if the PCs are under a time constraint, in which case the burned character is effectively retired (perhaps for the rest of the campaign), and the group must either wait around out of OOC courtesy to the player, press on without the player, or make a henchman NPC for him to play in the intervening time.

The quick healing is a design choice, to allow groups of 3-4 to be able to adventure without a small army of henchmen, attendants, and mercenaries to take the PCs' places should they get injured.

Sith_Happens
2013-06-14, 01:22 PM
Spell components almost always get ignored in my games.

Most games I've played in and run don't care about item weight in general.

Pretty sure the OP is asking about mechanics that haven't gotten attention in the books, not in your game.

buttcyst
2013-06-14, 02:24 PM
Pretty sure the OP is asking about mechanics that haven't gotten attention in the books, not in your game.

this may be true, but, even rules that are laid out in great detail in the books are either ignored or fiated for an easier, quicker, or simpler version. combat reflexes was one in my groups, until recently when it was read, if you had combat reflexes, you were potentially deadly on an AoO. Also, most of the special combat moves, such as tripping, sundering, and disarming are all well explained, but are rarely implemented as written, mostly they are just fiated into the attack roll or simplified into a single opposed roll. the ready action is probably the one that is actually the most confusing, and as written, it leaves the player having to lay out their entire plan to the DM which becomes unbalanced. if a DM declares a ready action, they are not obligated to tell what they are readying for, but a player is, giving the DM opportunity to modify tactics... (I wouldn't charge either if it was announced that they are readying to set spears against my charge, I would move more tactically, just sayin)

As a result of that, in my games, ready actions are simply announced as a ready when in direct combat. room defense readied actions are still declared fully though, mostly because of the difference in time movement and individual character suspense.

Slipperychicken
2013-06-14, 03:08 PM
the ready action is probably the one that is actually the most confusing, and as written, it leaves the player having to lay out their entire plan to the DM which becomes unbalanced.

I'd say it's fair, provided the DM either doesn't metagame, or is required to announce NPCs' readied actions similarly. This would be justified by readied actions being "visible"; for example you'd see the spearman brace his spear at you, and a spellcaster would draw the components and hold his hands in position for the appropriate movements. If the DM fails to announce an NPC's readied action, it's treated as though a player failed to do so (with whatever degree of leniency the group normally affords).

Honestly, if the DM is metagaming to screw you over, there's not much you can do about it in-game. You're much better off dealing with it OOC.

Maginomicon
2013-06-14, 03:21 PM
Honestly, if the DM is metagaming to screw you over, there's not much you can do about it in-game. You're much better off dealing with it OOC.
How I handle ready actions is that the character's player writes down on a piece of paper the triggering action and the reacting action and lays it face down where everyone can see the paper (but not the contents). He may share the information with his allies if he wishes, but keeps it secret from all others (which could include the GM). When the triggering action is activated, the player flips the paper.

buttcyst
2013-06-14, 03:36 PM
How I handle ready actions is that the character's player writes down on a piece of paper the triggering action and the reacting action and lays it face down where everyone can see the paper (but not the contents). He may share the information with his allies if he wishes, but keeps it secret from all others (which could include the GM). When the triggering action is activated, the player flips the paper.

I like this and am going to be bringing it up at the table next session. probably the fairest handling of this and definitely not too much to ask for from a player or DM.

Flickerdart
2013-06-14, 03:44 PM
You've activated my trap card!

Maginomicon
2013-06-14, 03:48 PM
You've activated my trap card!Exactly. :smallwink:

Admittedly, sometimes there's a rare occasion where the action they are trying to react with isn't legal, but the players are skilled enough to know better and often enough even then I'm willing to work with them to allow it.

Cheiromancer
2013-06-14, 04:02 PM
I discovered this gem of a thread not long ago. The "Speak Authoritatively" mechanic just begs to be used. I think "Let it Ride" would be great for situations where players want to search every square or disbelieve every item.

jiruku's "The joy of skills!" (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11090621)

Chronos
2013-06-14, 09:57 PM
Reminds me of a tale I once heard of a party that had just gotten flattened by the BBEG, who was then gloating as he drew the McGuffin out of one of their backpacks.

Paladin: Please open the sealed envelope I put on the table at the start of the evening.
DM: What?
Paladin: Just open it, and read.
Envelope: Fire Trap, cast on the backpack.

BBEG finished off, the paladin rolled lucky and stabilized, and was able to stabilize the rest of the party before they bled to death.

BowStreetRunner
2013-06-14, 10:22 PM
How about Alchemical Bonuses (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#alchemicalBonus)? In a world where alchemy should be fairly common, I think this was just totally underutilized.