PDA

View Full Version : Paralysis, sleep, stun, confusion...against the PCs?

Flickerdart
2013-06-14, 12:16 PM
So, this is a bit of a meta-game issue (not a metagaming issue, but I digress). There are loads of monsters that have built-in SoL attacks. Sometimes, even if you don't intend it, the monster hits a PC with a poor save against that attack, or the PC rolls poorly, and now he's stunned, paralyzed, whatever. The important thing is, the PC doesn't get to play now, for a round, or ten rounds, or however long. How do you, as a DM, handle these sorts of effects?

I mean, one side of the argument is obviously that the DM is justified in using either whatever the hell he wants, as ultragod of the game world, or whatever the PCs use, because that's only fair.

But then again, a DM controls hundreds of guys. The players control one guy each. By using abilities that revoke control of that one guy, you're obviating the only reason they are there (at least, until the party healbot dispels the effect - if there is such a character and if he is capable of doing so).

What's your policy on SoLs? Never? Whenever? Only when there's a healer? Only on the healer, for delicious irony?

kreenlover
2013-06-14, 12:24 PM
I use them with care. I usually only use them when they fit thematically with the rest of the enemies, or when they can be cleverly avoided or negated with good tactics.
Example, you throw a pack of ghouls at them. Beside them is a doorway big enough for one at a time. The elf ranger prefers a bow, but is proficient with the kickass sword the fighter uses.
Now, if they are smart, they will all pile in behind the elf who can hold the gap for them, thereby negating the ghouls paralysis attacks. That one ghast in the back has to be stomped by ranged attackers before it gets to the elf.

That kind of thing. Otherwise I use them when the players are pissing me off, when they feel that they are overpowered, or when one wants to take a potty break

Syrinth
2013-06-14, 12:31 PM
I use them freely as long as I'm able to fudge things so they don't destroy the players or I feel there's a good chance the players will survive it.

That being said, that was bad when all the players failed their fort save vs the Vargouilles screech and got paralyzed, so I had the fighter shake it off after a round so he could murder it.

*I also allowed the cleric to craft a potion to counter the vargouille's kiss because low magic world and no high level clerics high enough to counter the vargouille's kiss.*

Save or Die effects on the other hand.... eh. I'm still not sure how I'll use them myself.

AmberVael
2013-06-14, 12:33 PM
The length of the effect and probability play heavily into it, I feel. It's one thing to lose a single turn in an encounter- it's quite another to be taken out of the fight entirely. Generally, I would balk at doing the latter.

However, I also think it is worth noting the rate of play. What a single round of action means to one group may not be the same to the next group. To give a dramatic example, it can take days or a week to conclude a round of action in a play by post game, which is why in a Mutants and Masterminds game I run, I completely stripped stunning out of the normal damage track- to have it occur that frequently would basically remove the capability of my PCs to post anything meaningful a lot of the time and it's just a really bad idea, even if you recover from it after one round.

limejuicepowder
2013-06-14, 12:35 PM
Yeah I try to stay away from them as well. Like you said, the player only has one character to control, and if their options for the next 15 minutes is cruise their phone, that's no fun. SoS are much better, IMO. The character is hurt but they at least still get to do stuff.

Barsoom
2013-06-14, 12:38 PM
I usually have 1-2 minor NPC tagalongs. If your guy is stunned, you can roll dice for the half-Orc barbarian. Also, we usually have 3-4 combats per session, in addition to the normal intraparty bickering roleplaying, so if you're out for one battle, no big deal, you'll catch up next time.

Tar Palantir
2013-06-14, 12:47 PM
I don't usually do anything special, other than avoiding the most asinine offenders (like sea hags and their ludicrous evil eye). It's a part of the game, my players know that, and if it really bugs them there are defenses they can acquire via items or feats.

CRtwenty
2013-06-14, 12:54 PM
I use them frequently. My players have learned to fear and respect things that deal incapacitating status effects and always carry some sort of countermeasure for them.

NichG
2013-06-14, 01:17 PM
In my current campaign I have a rule that all Save or Lose effects have their DCs halved both for PCs and enemies. However, if you fail the full DC, you instead get a 1 round duration status condition which is either:

Touched by Death: Take double damage for 1 round.
Fugue: Deal only 50% damage/effects for 1 round.

This reduces the sort of all or nothing aspect to these attacks and takes a little pressure off of the saving throw arms race and the mandatory immunities aspect of high level play.

Eldonauran
2013-06-14, 01:20 PM
I use them frequently. My players have learned to fear and respect things that deal incapacitating status effects and always carry some sort of countermeasure for them.

This. 100% this.

Kyberwulf
2013-06-14, 02:40 PM
I use them a lot. It makes my dungeons and caverns feel more dangerous. Makes my Overlords minions, seem less mooky.

some guy
2013-06-14, 02:58 PM
I use them as much as is logical in the world. Clerics of third level are likely to cast hold person, ghouls are encountered in abandonded graveyards and marshes. And so on.
There's usually a chance to figure if something can be incapacitating to characters. And usually there's chances to flee or avoid combat.
Recently I decided that if someone loses control over their character, they can play one of the enemies. Saves me some hassle, gives some fun to the player.