PDA

View Full Version : Magic Library

Jett Midknight
2013-06-14, 04:24 PM
I am currently running a Pathfinder campaign, and my party has managed to stumble upon an ancient magic library. I want to reward them for finding it, but I'm not sure exactly how. The spell casters of the party get an obvious reward of getting new spells for their spellbooks, but what type of reward could I give to somebody like a Rouge or a Ranger? I'm thinking free feats would be too much. Any suggestions?

Twingunn
2013-06-14, 04:36 PM
Lesser manuals of inherent stat bonuses? Ancient references to fabulous wealth and powerful items?

Kuulvheysoon
2013-06-14, 04:38 PM
Ancient libraries didn't only store books/scrolls. they were a bit like modern-day museums in that they stored a huge variety of items and artifacts in addition to the books.

Flickerdart
2013-06-14, 04:45 PM
Book golem, complete with remote control.

Gildedragon
2013-06-14, 05:16 PM
Books with exercises and info that grants a feat or bonuses to skills if read thoroughly
Information on a treasure or somesuch to get another side quest

Set a number of feats from which they get to choose. Combat stances wouldn't be bad, or if their fighting style is feat intensive help them along so they get to pick a wider variety of feats.
If spellcasters are getting spells giving mundanes a feat is not unbalanced against the spellcasters

Check out complete scoundrel to see place rewards.

Daftendirekt
2013-06-14, 06:22 PM
but what type of reward could I give to somebody like a Rouge or a Ranger?

The rouge could get a new applicator brush. All that adventuring has to have worn it down a bit.

limejuicepowder
2013-06-14, 09:44 PM
Feats I think are definitely the way to go, and No it isn't imbalanced. If the spells the casters are getting are even half-way decent, which I assume they will be, the spells will probably see more action and have more impact than the feats will.

What might be most appropriate is martial study feats for various maneuvers and/or stances. This would have the "lost techniques" feel, as opposed to boring ol' flat bonuses to w/e.

JusticeZero
2013-06-14, 09:54 PM
Use the books to open up a splat or two that was previously not in use. Treat a bunch of the books as works of art with a GP value to collectors. Use some of it to stock the wizards' research library to an overfull level. Put treasure maps in it.

BowStreetRunner
2013-06-14, 10:03 PM
How about books that count as Masterwork Tools (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#toolMasterwork) for the Knowledge skills? Granted, they might be a bit unwieldy for field use, but whenever the PCs have a bit more time they could be handy for a +2 bonus.