PDA

View Full Version : Persisted Ray?

Ruethgar
2013-06-14, 07:41 PM
So I found a feat, Ray Extending, that continues a ray into the next round with a full round of concentration the next round. As long as said ray is of fixed range(ocular) it becomes persist-able, but there don't seem to be any clear rules on what occurs for that. Is it to be considered like detect magic, fully activated with concentration any time in the 24hr? Or would it require consecutive rounds of concentration after casting such that you stay stationary and shoot laser beams until your concentration breaks or you reach 24hr?

TuggyNE
2013-06-14, 08:03 PM
Normally, the duration of a ray spell explicitly only affects how long the triggered effect lasts, not how long the ray itself lasts for. So without seeing the text of the feat I'm not sure whether this would work, or how.

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-14, 08:07 PM
So I found a feat, Ray Extending, that continues a ray into the next round with a full round of concentration the next round. As long as said ray is of fixed range(ocular) it becomes persist-able, but there don't seem to be any clear rules on what occurs for that. Is it to be considered like detect magic, fully activated with concentration any time in the 24hr? Or would it require consecutive rounds of concentration after casting such that you stay stationary and shoot laser beams until your concentration breaks or you reach 24hr?

A spell effected by Ray Extension only allows you to spend your next action after casting the spell to designate another target (can be the same creature effected by both) and attack said target.

What it does allow though is for you to cast the spell as a move action (and arguably a swift action).

Ruethgar
2013-06-14, 09:06 PM
Blasted miss-written copy, they could reword it without changing the function.

So assuming you're a sorcerer, the ray now has a greater duration than instantaneous even if it is minor since you "attack with the same ray" on your next action, unless you want to consider your next action a free action, it must persist for the time in between the end of the first casting and the end of the next action to be the same ray.

Edit: Would the excerpt of one feat be within the realm of free use?

And Tippy, because of your signature I feel compelled to resurrect this... you just lost the game.