PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Superstition Rage Power As A Caster

Laniius
2013-06-14, 08:19 PM
Ok, so in my current campaign I'm playing as a Bardbarian (Mostly Bard, with a level of Barbarian, and a homebrewed prestige class thrown on top).

Anyway, I am curious about the Superstition rage power. It says I have to make a saving throw even against spells cast by allies, but what if it's a spell that I cast. Like Good Hope for instance.

My character is superstitious of other people's magic, but not his own/he doesn't view his powers as "magic" because he knows how he does them.

TuggyNE
2013-06-14, 08:57 PM
3.5 never quite settled whether you count as your own ally, and I'm not sure if PF did. But if so, then yeah you would have to.

grarrrg
2013-06-14, 09:32 PM
3.5 never quite settled whether you count as your own ally, and I'm not sure if PF did. But if so, then yeah you would have to.

Linky (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability-scores/glossary#TOC-Ally) FAQ/Errata

Do you count as your own ally?

You count as your own ally unless otherwise stated or if doing so would make no sense or be impossible. Thus, "your allies" almost always means the same as "you and your allies."

As for the Superstition question: the "MUST make a save" only applies while you are Raging. And you typically can not cast spells while Raging. Any pre-Rage buffs still persist without needing to attempt a save.
If you are using Moment of Clairity Rage Power, it removes any/all bonuses and penalties for 1 round, so your Superstition couldn't apply anyway.

Although, "flavor-wise" you probably shouldn't even be allowed to take Superstition, because you obviously believe in and use Magic and whatnot.

Renegade Paladin
2013-06-14, 09:32 PM
The Superstition rage power says that while raging you must attempt a saving throw against all spells.

Both of those are important. The second one means you must make saves against spells you cast, but the first means this only applies while raging. Since casting requires concentration, and you cannot do things that require concentration while raging, the point is moot.

grarrrg
2013-06-14, 10:42 PM
The Superstition rage power says that while raging you must attempt a saving throw against all spells.

Both of those are important. The second one means you must make saves against spells you cast, but the first means this only applies while raging. Since casting requires concentration, and you cannot do things that require concentration while raging, the point is moot.

I apologize for being off topic but:

WOO! Same time-stamp ninja'd!!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread, already in progress.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-06-14, 11:21 PM
Although, "flavor-wise" you probably shouldn't even be allowed to take Superstition, because you obviously believe in and use Magic and whatnot.

And mechanically, it's a HORRIBLE idea. Having to save vs. helpful spells in the middle of combat is a huge, huge nerf that could very well get you killed. The return is supposed to be stupidly high saving throws. But if you're dipping or multiclassing Barbarian, you're never going to see those high bonuses, so you're paying the terrible price for no benefit. Considering will saves are the ones you likely care about failing the most, it could quite literally be no benefit, since by RAW, both rage's will save bonus and superstition are morale bonuses and thus overlap (side note: that is flipping stupid and fills ME with rage). Superstition is basically the epitome of "go big or go home"; if you won't be maxing the hell out of the superstition bonus (ie, human favored class bonus and straight-classed or nearly straight-classed Barb), it's not worth bothering at all.

I'm assuming this is not a gestalt game, of course.

grarrrg
2013-06-15, 10:27 AM
... with a level of Barbarian, and a homebrewed prestige class thrown on top...

Part of this advice depends on just what the homebrewed class is/does and how it (might) stack with Barbarian levels.

And it has to stack, or else that single level of Barbarian won't even get him a Rage Power.