PDA

View Full Version : Extraplanar binding

Infernalbargain
2013-06-14, 08:19 PM
Suppose you have a devil in the plane of hell. He casts Planar Binding. Can he call Bill from down the street?

Malvanis
2013-06-14, 08:29 PM
The spell description says the spell targets outsiders and elements. A human, not being an outsider nor an elemental cannot be targeted by Planar Binding.

Malvanis
2013-06-14, 08:40 PM
Though I suppose a human would be an outsider to a devil, though the magic system and most of the world is built around denizens of the material plane. That brings up the question would a human be considered an outsider to a devil?

TuggyNE
2013-06-14, 08:55 PM
Though I suppose a human would be an outsider to a devil, though the magic system and most of the world is built around denizens of the material plane. That brings up the question would a human be considered an outsider to a devil?

No. Humans are humanoids. A humanoid somehow brought to the Nine Hells would, of course, have the (extraplanar) subtype, but would still be a humanoid, and thus ineligible for the spell. Outsider and (extraplanar) are two quite different things; I've gotten them confused myself, because of their seeming implications.

However, a Janni (Outsider [Native]), which hails from the Material, would be a valid target. I think a Monk 20 would too.

Karnith
2013-06-14, 09:11 PM
I think a Monk 20 would too.
Well, he'd be a valid target for a Gate (his 20 HD putting him slightly out of reach of a mere Planar Binding), but so would any Material Plane creature, if you're in Hell. And if you knew a particular level 20 Monk that you felt like seeing, you could even open a Gate for him!

Now, why you would want to is another question entirely.

Alleran
2013-06-14, 11:13 PM
Well, he'd be a valid target for a Gate (his 20 HD putting him slightly out of reach of a mere Planar Binding)...
Malconvoker class ability or the Implore spell will get around the 18 HD limit.

TuggyNE
2013-06-14, 11:31 PM
Well, he'd be a valid target for a Gate (his 20 HD putting him slightly out of reach of a mere Planar Binding)

Reserves of Strength + greater planar binding! :smalltongue:

Mithril Leaf
2013-06-15, 12:38 AM
Reserves of Strength + greater planar binding! :smalltongue:

If only. Sadly (but good for game balance) that doesn't work, as RoS only removes CL based caps. A phenomenal feat for Dalamar's Lightning Lance, but not so great here.

TuggyNE
2013-06-15, 06:22 AM
If only. Sadly (but good for game balance) that doesn't work, as RoS only removes CL based caps. A phenomenal feat for Dalamar's Lightning Lance, but not so great here.

Huh, interesting. I guess you're right.

I had never thought there was a limit to RoS's brokenness, but I guess one learns something new every day.

Maginomicon
2013-06-15, 06:29 AM
Suppose you have a devil in the plane of hell. He casts Planar Binding. Can he call Bill from down the street?

Uh... Are you guys sure he doesn't actually mean "can he call [his neighbor in hell] Bill from down the street [which is located in hell]" ?

There's no reason Bill has to be a humanoid. What kind of racism is that?:smalltongue:

Demonic_Spoon
2013-06-15, 06:49 AM
Uh... Are you guys sure he doesn't actually mean "can he call [his neighbor in hell] Bill from down the street [which is located in hell]" ?

There's no reason Bill has to be a humanoid. What kind of racism is that?:smalltongue:

Actually, that's how I read it originally before the followup comments. Can the hypothetical devil summon another devil to him?

Malvanis
2013-06-15, 09:33 AM
Well, if I were DM I would probably include that devils can call humans.

Malvanis
2013-06-15, 09:35 AM
And technically, a devil could call another devil, if they were on another plane.

TuggyNE
2013-06-15, 05:52 PM
Actually, that's how I read it originally before the followup comments. Can the hypothetical devil summon another devil to him?

Yes.
Summon (Sp): Some devils share the ability to summon others of their kind (the success chance and type of devils summoned are noted in each monster description).

Of course, whether they can call another devil with a spell depends on whether they have spellcasting that includes (lesser/greater) planar binding, and whether they're on another plane at the time. :smallwink:

Well, if I were DM I would probably include that devils can call humans.

It wouldn't be difficult to have them research a custom spell for that.

(BTW, you may want to use the Edit button instead of double-posting, which is frowned on.)