PDA

View Full Version : How can do the following (ideas)...

Kerilstrasz
2013-06-15, 12:12 AM
MY PLAYERS STAY OUT...

My players are about to discover an ancient library, with books of ancient knowledge (with proper use it can give em +5 per day to any knowledge check, +10 to any know check per week and +20 per month. Same is true for spellcraft, alchemy, appraise, craft, decipher, forgery, heal, UMD).
Also, the library use grants them the bardic knowledge ability with +20 on their rolls, when they looking info about that time of era (about 2 thousands years before, library's creators , etc etc).
They are also going to find an artifact (actually 2 of them) that can use to communicate over any distance while in the same plane. One piece is fixed in a immovable altar in the library, while the second piece can be carried anywhere.
(imagine a taxi radio.. the tabletop radio station and a "walkie-talckie").

There are rooms in the same building dedicated to crafts (fully equipped, and granting +5 bonus to checks made there.)

There are other utility rooms as well as: a scry proof room, a AMF room, etc etc...

in the same building there are empty rooms that can be used as bedrooms, dinners, kitchen etc etc...

now..
knowing my players, the first thing they ll try would be to try get all these things out of there and sell what they can, use what they can carry and donate the rest. If they cant they prolly going to destroy them so they don't end up in "the wrong hands".

How can i "make them" use this building as HQ and not dismantle it?
(the same way Sam & Dean from Supernatural series, found that banker and stop moving around all the time, except when they had something to do)

We playing a 3,5 campaign, training to its nature (encounters just as hard to give them hard time,but fun), and im trying to introduce to them various elements of the game (till now they only cared about bonuses to damage and AC) as crafting, srying, using scrolls & wands, etc etc...

PS: The location of the "building" is unknown to the rest population, as they accidentally found it after following a series of caverns that are now sealed. The only entrance/exit, is well hidden from the outside so it wont be hard to keep it safe, even when there is noone there.

Waker
2013-06-15, 01:22 AM
Well, to prevent stuff from being sold, I would suggest describing some of the items as being tied to the location. Taking a book outside of the library renders the pages blank, alchemical substances become inert...
To help give them the idea that they should stick around this place and not just burn/salt the place, try and give it some history. Have murals and ancient banners showing that this was once of stronghold for good and that it could be once more, assuming they are willing to do some dusting. If you are thinking they might not pick up on such subtle clues, you could give the library a curator, perhaps a construct or undead, who recognizes them as the owners. If one of the members of the party is a paladin or cleric, then say the library belonged to their religious order.

Kerilstrasz
2013-06-15, 03:18 AM
hmm... all of these will do :)
curator huh??? hmm... that will solve the problem of leaving the place unattended to go for a quest... very very nice :))

now i should think about the curator.. i want something that can (obviously) be able forgo the passing of time, and can serve as a guardian too... prolly a construct...

thnx :)

Gildedragon
2013-06-15, 03:57 AM
With the wondrous architecture: can't be moved, breaking it is akin to breaking a magic item. Have anyone with a crafting feat or knowledge arcana 5+ know this as fact.

As for the library: let them move it or sell it. Selling it in bulk might not be possible, except to a particularly knowledge-oriented nation or very very powerful institution; otherwise they'd have to break it up and make it have no more bonuses. If they opt for the former, let them. It is a new organization and a new twist to the adventure. Ditto for the latter.

The wondrous architecture might be enough to make them want to stay there. If you add an amusing warforged or paper golem curator/custodian they might be more inclined to do so.

If you are adamant on keeping the texts inside: papyrus and a gentle repose or timeless-trait field on the library. it is ancient; taking the texts outside will cause them to deteriorate. I'd advise against this because well: what if they wish to take a field guide to verify something, or use it as evidence of an incoming apocalypse, or whatnot.

It is sad if they refuse the awesome base but c'est la vie, they might just not want it.
Make them fight for it, that could make them feel more attached to it. Not such tough a battle they hate the place and want to leave forever, but something to make them feel they've earned it. Say, swarms of stuff outside, couple of constructs that serve the master of the library, and a necropolitan wizard at the end. During the battle have constructs around and when the wiz is dead have them bow to the PC's. This indicates to them they've won the library.

Raendyn
2013-06-15, 06:02 AM
Have something alive appesar and explain about the place and its has-been greatness.

Maybe a familiar? A Pseudodragon that stayed here after its master's death?

Or a magical beast that served as something similar and now tries to keep this place in tact? maybe have them being saved from a fatal trap by this "guardian", to show them his good motives?

You can also do it with magic, whenever someone enters the main room, an image appears and talks to them, assisting in finding info, explaining about the history of this place.

If u wanna pull it even further, u can also put there an AI! The spirit of someone great from the age that the library was created, now occupies the main room walls, and it is sealed there.

Possibilities are endless.