PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Sorcerer substitution level clarification

giovaneduca
2013-06-15, 03:33 AM
Hello,
reading from the Races of Dragon

Requirements
To take a dragonblood sorcerer substitution level, a char-acter must have the dragonblood subtype and be about totake his 1st, 4th, or 7th level of sorcerer.

But the first substitution level give the Draconic Heritage Feat that statte the PC gains the Dragonblood subtype.

So my question:

I need to be a dragonblood subtype BEFORE (like via Silverbrow Human) take the first substitution level or ia can enter and gain the dragonblood subtype via Draconic Heritage?

There is a FAQ ora an Errata to clarify this?

Malvanis
2013-06-15, 09:46 AM
The wording implies you need the subtype before taking the level, so you would have to have the subtype before you take the level. Now, this seems stupid as that they are obviously giving you the draconic heritage feat so you can gain the rest of the levels later. I would probably allow a player to take that substitution level without the subtype first.

nedz
2013-06-15, 10:13 AM
In the level advancement rules [PH p58] you choose your class before your feats so the Heritage feats aren't an option unless you take it as a racial bonus feat (eg. Human). This is allowable because you choose your race and class at the same time [PH p6].

giovaneduca
2013-06-15, 12:28 PM
In the level advancement rules [PH p58] you choose your class before your feats so the Heritage feats aren't an option unless you take it as a racial bonus feat (eg. Human). This is allowable because you choose your race and class at the same time [PH p6].

Sorry but can't understand.
So I can't qualify for the 1st level of the substitution level until I'm a Dragonblood or until I take a feat that the same substitution level grant me again?

Phelix-Mu
2013-06-15, 01:11 PM
Dragonblooded sorcerer substitution levels are intended for those that are dragonblooded and are taking a level of sorcerer. Like a spellscale sorcerer, or a draconic template sorcerer. Or any of the dragonblooded subraces from Dragon Magic.

It's not intended to make a normal sorcerer into a dragonblooded character. There are several benefits to Draconic Heritage aside from acquiring the dragonblooded subtype.

nedz
2013-06-15, 03:05 PM
Yes, what you are trying to do is pointless.
You are trying to take Dragon Heritage to qualify for Dragonblood Sorcerer Substitution Levels which gives Dragon Heritage for free.

However I was trying to explain how you could do that.

On p58 of the PH there is a list of the steps of the process for gaining a level. This process requires that you choose your class before your feats. Now, since the Substitution Level is part of the choose your class step you must have the Dragon blood type before that point.

On p6 of the PH it states that, at 1st level, you choose your race and class at the same time. So, if you can acquire dragonblooded as part of your race then you could take the Substitution Level at level 1. Now some races give you this for free (eg Kobold) but others give you a free feat (eg Human) which you could use to acquire the dragonblooded sub-type by taking the Dragon Heritage feat.