PDA

View Full Version : Help finding a monster

Invader
2013-06-15, 07:53 AM
I need help finding a monster. If I remember correctly they were mercenary trolls but they had the ability to share a health pool and they got bonuses for fighting together I believe.

Any ideas?

hamishspence
2013-06-15, 08:18 AM
Legion Devils from Fiendish Codex 2 share a health pool and function better the more there are of them.

Invader
2013-06-15, 08:23 AM
Legion Devils from Fiendish Codex 2 share a health pool and function better the more there are of them.

That's exactly what I was thinking of, thank you kindly!

ksbsnowowl
2013-06-15, 08:24 AM
Yep, Legion Devils are what you are looking for. Individually CR 3, but they'd be a nasty encounter for some higher level PC's. I was ready for my PC's to encounter some recently, but it just didn't work out in the story. An EL 12 encounter was composed of 32 legion devils, which gave each legion devil a bonus +124 to hit, and a HP pool of 608.

Invader
2013-06-15, 12:57 PM
Yep, Legion Devils are what you are looking for. Individually CR 3, but they'd be a nasty encounter for some higher level PC's. I was ready for my PC's to encounter some recently, but it just didn't work out in the story. An EL 12 encounter was composed of 32 legion devils, which gave each legion devil a bonus +124 to hit, and a HP pool of 608.

I don't think they follow normal cr rules, looking at the entry, a group of 4 is a cr 7 so a group of 32 would be well into the realm of ridiculousness lol.

ksbsnowowl
2013-06-15, 03:30 PM
According to the encounter calculator (http://www.d20srd.org/extras/d20encountercalculator/) four CR 3 anythings is an EL 7 encounter.

It takes more and more of lower and lower CR monsters to make an appropriate encounter the higher level the PC's get.

Five or Six CR 3's is an EL 8 encounter; Seven, Eight, or Nine is an EL 9 encounter. Ten, Eleven, Twelve, or Thirteen is an EL 10 encounter, and on and on until you get to 20 - 26 being an EL 12 and 27 - 38 being an EL 13 encounter.*

Now, do legion devils have a distinct advantage having more of them? Yes they do. But they are also only hitting for 1d8+3 and 1d6+1, and that's only the ones that get right next to you, though I suppose they could surround the party members pretty easily. But having DR in any respectable amount will really slow them down.

They also can't fly, so worst case is that you run away from them. What self-respecting 12th level adventurer doesn't have the ability to fly?

*My apologies for being off by one EL when I stated 32 was EL 12. My group is Gestalt, so I treat CR/EL as one lower than its listed book value.