PDA

View Full Version : (PF) Witch/Cavalier/Roguex2 Party discussion

Wolfang237
2013-06-15, 08:54 AM
I have been playing around with a lot of builds since my players have been asking me for ideas on how to build their characters (for example one wanted to play a Dragon Disciple so a bunch of research later, he thought maybe instead he'd like to do Arcane Knight. After telling him to 'keep it simple, stupid' since he's new he resorted to Magus, where the Hexcraft archetype came in.

I have also been messing with Cavalier recently since I've been more interested in mounted combat and my best Pathfinder buddy is a Cavalier/Samurai nerd. I thought it'd be easy to pull off a halfling cavalier indoors and, sure enough, people have suggested it.

While making some characters and exploring I found that, with teamwork feats, it looked like the Halfing Cavalier could actually solve Action Economy issues for builds that depend on full attack actions (TWFers and Monks namely) in melee both indoors and outdoors - Coordinated Charge or Act as One (Order of the Dragon 1/combat) gets the TWFers in position and lays them up for full attack actions.

Now here's how it all comes around: as a witch I use Ratfolk for slight bonuses to defense and the +5 ft range on a hex class option. And when I was checking over my witch I noticed the Swarming racial trait: Ratfolks can occupy an allied Ratfolk's square no penalty and even flank from it. Doesn't that actually open up a TWF rogue to a whole new level of proficiency in wrecking?

The biggest class that would have an issue to the cavalier action economy was Rogues since charging wouldn't necessarily set up flanking positions and charge stealthing sounds impossible :l I guess you could feint in the full round? With ratfolk you can stay in the IDENTICAL spot as you other ratfolk rogue buddy, charge the same enemies, move at the same paces, and even take [Escape Route] to keep from getting hit by AoOs (for 1 guy, I guess since the other won't benefit unless they move reeeaaaallll slow) and all the while be able to trigger flanking bonuses.

So this is a party build I REALLY wanna try now: Ratfolk Witch, 2 Ratfolk Rogues (whatever TWF build you wanna sport), and a Halfing Mounted cavalier. Ironically, every race is small for this party build - which was unintended. These combos just seem to work out? Only other thing I could think of is to get a ranger or druid, give his companion to the witch so that Cackle is now mobile (and with the range increases, you can move in, apply a hex, and move out and just cackle to keep it up since at 10th level you have an 80ft range on cackle) and then either use a spell list (druid) to rain sweet natural pains down upon the non-focused enemies (to keep em off the squishy rogues - anything to separate enemies and allow for focus firing by the two uber-pwning rogues is essential), use wildshape (druid) to get some pouncing business in there yourself, or use a TWF/charge build on Ranger or Archer build on Ranger to deal with pesky spellcasters and archers.

OBVIOUSLY this build is going to be COMPLETELY SHORTHANDED on ANY encounter with PRECISION DAMAGE IMMUNITY (Undead? Constructs?) so rogues won't always be the best TWF chargers here - sometimes just doing basically good dmg with your full attacks is better, so maybe a barbarian or ranger or fighter is better off here. The only point to this was that, with ratfolk, you can start getting sneak attacks in without any worries to not having full-attack actions or flanking.

Discussion? Corrections? Tips?

EDIT::Since Ratfolk will be small, I'd probably take the Knife Master/ Scout archetypes to receive the full benefits of charging/sneak attacking. Dagger'll do 1d2 (-1 if you don't buff STR which means on your normal attack you do 0-1 dmg) BUT at level 5 each attack does +3d8 dmg from Sneak Attacks (any charge granted for positioning by your precious Cavalier and any attack you make because you SHOULD be swarming with your buddy). hell even at level 1 you'll do 1d8 (not on charges), at 3 you'll do 2d8, and 4 it's 2d8 on charges, etc. I know it's not as much as the rogue wielding a shortsword for 1d6+1d6 but it's all for the tactic of setting up full sneak attack actions reliably and buffing the main damage: the sneak die. early levels will likely be tough since your damage relies on the 1d8. Sneak attack shouldn't be a problem with swarming so unless you're fighting undead (or something similar) you could probably reliably pull off the 1d8s at a +2 to hit every time. First 2 Talents would prob be finesse rogue and weapon training. After that start buffing normally. At 10 you can pull off 15d8 + 6 STR and you get 5 AC for 1 round. And that's same for yer buddy. Both have +5 AC and the target took 12 str dmg and 30d8 sneak attack (plus 6d2, I guess). (Offensive Defense and Crippling Strike). Not to mention the charge on the first round (+4 flanking and charging [which is +6 with banner and +8 if it's Move as One), +3 AC because -2 for charging) does 5d8 + 2 STR. So in 1 round for the Rogue He and his buddy combine for 10d8 + 4 STR on charge + 30d8 + 12 STR on full attack. (40d8 + 16 STR to target). Let's hope the target didn't have Uncanny Dodge and isn't immune to Sneak plus this all assumes they hit. But hey - why wouldn't they? At 10th level the witch is cackling away and whatever target you go at should have been prepped ahead of time with a -4 to AC and you should have fortune for a single reroll every round. If you don't hit (with a +8 on charges [+10/+12] and +6 on full attack and you can choose to reroll any of the 4 attacks you will make) then you probably just rolled badly. If you hit, then the 16 STR dmg is probably enough to immobilize A LOT of enemies you'll meet. Especially casters and archers. Yay!

Anyway - a good idea is to only charge (or try to) targets that have to go after the rogues so that the rogues have a chance of applying a -16 to their strength (-8 to attack) and get a +5 AC. That can probably keep them from getting hit. If not, the witch could probably invest in Ward to give the rogues another +3 to AC at 10.

grarrrg
2013-06-15, 10:32 AM
TO THE TIME MACHINE!

*60's Batman transition*

Link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236006)

Psyren
2013-06-15, 10:36 AM
Actually, in Pathfinder, corporeal undead and constructs no longer have sneak attack immunity. (Which really makes sense - robots and zombies have joints too.)

Swarming does help ratfolk rogues out quite a bit, since it's easier to flank when you don't have to keep a foe between you. I personally think two rogues are a bit redundant though - I would instead recommend that one of them go for a class like Magus or Alchemist. The latter can even retain sneak attack with the right archetype.

Finally, your ratfolk witch won't be able to help with the flanking bonus unless she is attacking. White-haired witch might help there.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-06-15, 12:22 PM
Flanking requires threatening with a melee weapon. It does not require actively attacking someone each round.

Just hold a club or wear a gauntlet or something and it'll be fine. Though I wouldn't want to stand in melee as a witch.

Psyren
2013-06-15, 12:35 PM
Flanking requires threatening with a melee weapon. It does not require actively attacking someone each round.

I know that, but the ratfolk's swarmfighting ability specifically requires both parties to attack to get the flanking bonus. It's a specific exception to the general rule.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-06-15, 01:05 PM
Hmm, I'm sure that's an unintentional little hiccup, but by RAW I guess you're right. Maybe I'll make an FAQ thread on that later... "Is 'If two ratfolk in the same square attack the same foe...' supposed to be 'If two ratfolk in the same square threaten the same foe...' ?"

Blyte
2013-06-15, 03:51 PM
Though I wouldn't want to stand in melee as a witch.

this totally reminds of me the Strand Gamer's pod cast of their King Maker game, and the witch who kept getting into melee.

Wolfang237
2013-06-15, 06:25 PM
The swarming ability would be wasted on the witch as my plan would be to have the witch mounted so the mount rides by within 10 feet or so, witch (who cackled for the move) applies hex, then the mount moves out of range to a point where the ratfolk witch's expanded cackle range still applies. Also, I'm pretty sure White Haired Witch gets rid of hexes, which was the point of the Witch in this party.

A portion of the AC and Chance to hit for the rogue(s) comes from the witch (Ward and Fortune) whereas she should be priming a single target with multiple Evil Eyes and a Misfortune, devastating the target's ability to fight back. Once set up, the cavalier can set the charge and the rogue(s) can lay it flat. If it's still alive it probably will be completely useless in the combat afterwards with the witch's debuffs and the rogue(s)' crippling strikes, after all it should be (if not a melee focused monster) at around 0 STR (immobilized), heavily encumbered (even more penalties), and probably half - if not almost completely - dead. The 1 rogues are there to take full advantage of the rogue build and to apply double the debuff from crippling strike. This all comes in at mid-game, though. If you want early game you can go with Pressure Points which applies 1 penalty to either STR or DEX, which is more flexible but not as potent. But you can get it earlier. Coordinated Charge really requires the cavalier to take it and share it until the rogues can get it themselves, which is mid game or later.