PDA

View Full Version : Glamered Armor, Shiftweave, and other disguises.

SciChronic
2013-06-15, 05:49 PM
So in an upcoming campaign i'm considering using a homebrew race with an ability similar to that of a changeling. However minor shape change, and the ability that my race would have, would not be able to change the look of equipment I wear. Now i am trying to make my character seem as inconspicuous as possible, so i am trying to make sure that my character can have a disguise for any occasion.

Now my character is going to be using Breastplate for armor, but not normal breastplate, Elven darkleaf breastplate as it doesnt overkill the max dexterity bonus and is cheaper than mithril. However, armor made of cured darkwood and alchemically treated leaves feels like it would stand out in a crowd, and as i stated earlier, i'm trying to be inconspicuous.

So now begins my dilemma. I want to have enough outfits without bogging down my inventory. I also want to be able to change between these outfits quickly and without needing to go back and change, so that i can tail someone or move through different districts freely without standing out. Simultaneously, i want some of my outfits to benefit from the armor i am wearing, while for others, having it would be nice, just in case, but i don't think it would be necessary.

Disguises/Apparel desired:

Beggar (armor would be a nice bonus in case i'm discovered)
Thief (want the armor bonus in case i am caught)
Courtly Dress (armor would be nice for corner cases)
Normal Adventuring (want the armor bonus as it's my normal attire)
Tavern Singer/Bard (want the armor bonus in case of encountered within the tavern/inn)
Courtesan (armor bonus would be nice if i've been made)

Now concerning glamered armor and shiftweave:
1a. Glamered armor says that it when given the command word it will looks like a set of normal clothing, but can we make it look like something besides that?
1b. Such as one of my disguises?
2. If i wanted the possibility of it having multiple forms, would i have to pay for another glamer? or is there a price to make it function like shiftweave?
3. When my armor is glamered, does the slot it takes change (as in change from my armor slot to my clothing slot, but with the restriction that you can't wear armor on top of that)?
4. When wearing glamered armor, what happens to clothing you are wearing underneath? Do you suddenly look awkward as you have 2 sets of clothing on?

For those interested in the race i'm considering using: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287972

For some more character information, i'm going to be playing a CN or NE (haven't quite decided) Factotum who's an adventurer, singer, and thief all in one.

Gildedragon
2013-06-15, 06:03 PM
Vestment of Many Styles: also 500gp

Hat of disguise: hide the armor with it

Called armor enhancement: don't wear it until you need it

Ring of Arming: as above

mabriss lethe
2013-06-15, 06:04 PM
Ring of Arming from MIC: 5000gp for the ability to swap out your weapons and armor for a different set stored within the ring as a standard action.

Edit: swordsage'd

SciChronic
2013-06-15, 06:13 PM
for the called armor enhancement, does that mean if the armor is in something such as a bag of holding or haversack, the enhancement wouldn't work? since the items are then in the Astral Plane.

Gildedragon
2013-06-15, 06:24 PM
Yeap it doesn't work in a haversack.

1: it just means you don't get to make it out of glammerweave &c. So yeah.
2: related ability into same body slot: pay 75% of the 500 for shiftweave
3: no such thing as a "clothing" slot. The armor still takes up the "body" slot.
4: dunno. Maybe.

SciChronic
2013-06-15, 06:34 PM
So would i have to pay for Glamer to make it look like clothing, and then the 75% of shiftweave in order for it to look like different types of clothing? cause normally shiftweave clothing can only look like clothing, and can't become armor. I would imagine that armor that had the same property would then become different types of armor, but not clothing.

Also if i payed more, would i be able to get more than 5 options of clothing?

Gildedragon
2013-06-15, 06:37 PM
The +75% of shiftweave is to essentially merge armor and shiftweave
You ought to be able to pay more to get more clothes, but there are diminishing returns and a hat of disguise ends up being cheaper AND unlimited in disguises.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-06-15, 06:37 PM
Yeap it doesn't work in a haversack.

1: it just means you don't get to make it out of glammerweave &c. So yeah.
2: related ability into same body slot: pay 75% of the 500 for shiftweave
3: no such thing as a "clothing" slot. The armor still takes up the "body" slot.
4: dunno. Maybe.

Actually, in the Magic Item Compendium, it introduces something called the Torso Slot. It's the slot for magical shirts and such, so the fighter can wear them under his armor.

SciChronic
2013-06-15, 06:38 PM
Actually, in the Magic Item Compendium, it introduces something called the Torso Slot. It's the slot for magical shirts and such, so the fighter can wear them under his armor.

important to note that robes, however, qualify as "armor" and do not take the torso slot.

Also concerning the Hat of Disguise, my issue against it is that the effect is illusory, and and the tactile feel remains the same. Anything that comes into contact with me gets will saves to truly see what i am wearing. So even if my breastplate looks like a courtesan's outfit, the moment someone touches my arm, there's a chance that my cover will instantly be blown.

Gildedragon
2013-06-15, 06:49 PM

It still isn't a "clothing" slot. It is the Torso slot. And the armor still uses up the Body slot as the change into clothing is illusory.

SciChronic
2013-06-15, 06:58 PM
Glamered armor is wierd. As it actually changes shape and form, while still granting the benefits. And while the spell required to enhance it is Disguise Self, it does in fact change the tactile nature of the armor. Otherwise they would state that touching the armor others a will save to notice the illusion. It states that only true seeing or similar magic can reveal it.