PDA

View Full Version : Dumbing of Age

The Rose Dragon
2013-06-15, 09:59 PM
So, Dumbing of Age (http://dumbingofage.com/). Webcomic about Walkyverse characters going to a college without aliens or superpowers or other wackiness. Updates seven days a week at the moment. First comic here (http://www.dumbingofage.com/2010/comic/book-1/01-move-in-day/home/).

Discuss how adorable Dina is. Or anything else about the comic.

Mewtarthio
2013-06-15, 10:55 PM
For the record, it's perfectly fine as a standalone strip; you'll miss out on a few continuity nods, but it's an entirely separate universe with its own self-contained story (plus, y'know, there are four other webcomics in the Walkyverse, each of which has several years of archives). Heck, I personally think DoA is the best comic Willis has done.

Flickerdart
2013-06-15, 11:59 PM
It really suffers from lots and lots of characters syndrome (and the stylized appearance doesn't help).

It helps that it updates five days a week though, so you don't forget who people are (at least, until the focus changes to someone else).

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2013-06-16, 01:41 AM
It, uh, it updates seven days a week now, because of kickstarter.

The Rose Dragon
2013-06-16, 07:49 AM
Yes, but those continuity nods are hilarious, and you can't really love Dina until you read It's Walky!.

Have I mentioned how adorable Dina is?

Astrella
2013-06-16, 08:46 PM
Does anyone think there's still a chance of something developing between Ruth and Billie? The recent revelations explained things, but there's a lot to sort out between them.

John Campbell
2013-06-16, 10:04 PM
Yes, but those continuity nods are hilarious, and you can't really love Dina until you read It's Walky!.

Have I mentioned how adorable Dina is?

Oh god if you love Dina, don't read It's Walky!.

CRtwenty
2013-06-16, 10:20 PM
Oh god if you love Dina, don't read It's Walky!.

Reading IW! just makes you love DoA Dina more.

Mewtarthio
2013-06-17, 12:47 PM
Does anyone think there's still a chance of something developing between Ruth and Billie? The recent revelations explained things, but there's a lot to sort out between them.

Please. This is David Willis we're talking about. The only time there's not a chance of a pairing developing is when it's a heterosexual pairing and one partner is confirmed gay (note that, if it's a same-sex pairing and one half is confirmed straight, there's still a good chance that (s)he will turn out to really be bisexual).

Seerow
2013-06-17, 12:57 PM
Please. This is David Willis we're talking about. The only time there's not a chance of a pairing developing is when it's a heterosexual pairing and one partner is confirmed gay

Ethan/Joyce.

There is nowhere that Willis will not go. There's a reason that "Damn You Willis!" is trademarked. Possibly copyrighted. I think Willis may in fact make a nickel every time someone writes it on the internet.

Which he then gives to Mike.

John Campbell
2013-06-17, 02:26 PM
And then Mike gives it to your mom.

Ethan/Joyce isn't a pairing; it's a slow-motion train wreck.

But then, so is Ruth/Billie, Jason/Sal, Amber/Danny/Amazi-Girl, and... uh, actually, Dorothy/Walky seems to be working out surprisingly well.

The Rose Dragon
2013-06-17, 03:11 PM
Oh I can't wait for the inevitable Dorothy / Walky drama. Willis is incapable of writing a drama-free relationship for long.

Seerow
2013-06-18, 11:44 AM
Oh I can't wait for the inevitable Dorothy / Walky drama. Willis is incapable of writing a drama-free relationship for long.

She's trying to dress him up nice. And lost his shoes! Doesn't that count as drama?

Astrella
2013-06-18, 01:40 PM
Well, there was the little pajama pants thing as well.

ZarDaranth
2013-06-18, 04:29 PM
If pajama pants and nice shirts are the extent of the drama, it's the Willis-equivalent of a boring, vanilla relationship.

I mean, Danny's dating Ultra Car in disguise, Billie is a not-lesbian, and Sal is having her share of British cuisine a la sexual.

Seerow
2013-06-19, 12:27 AM
I mean, Danny's dating Ultra Car in disguise

You know, ever since Ultra Car got a humanoid body, I've been waiting for Willis to have this dead horse/bad in-joke become cannon.

The Rose Dragon
2013-06-19, 06:53 AM
What? No! Ultra-car doesn't even exist in Dumbing of Age!

No, Amazi-girl is clearly Dina's secret identity.

CRtwenty
2013-06-21, 04:17 PM
What? No! Ultra-car doesn't even exist in Dumbing of Age!

No, Amazi-girl is clearly Dina's secret identity.

Correction, Ultra-Car hasn't appeared in Dumbing of Age. I get the feeling she'll be showing up eventually, though probably not for a very long time.

And Amazi-Girl is Joe. He's uncomfortable with his unrequited lust towards Danny so he had to create an alter ego to explore their relationship.

Mewtarthio
2013-06-21, 04:58 PM
Correction, Ultra-Car hasn't appeared in Dumbing of Age. I get the feeling she'll be showing up eventually, though probably not for a very long time.

Well, there aren't any aliens, so Ultra Car is kind of out. It's possible that we might see a human version of UC's humanoid form, though. I wonder what she'd me named...

And Amazi-Girl is Joe. He's uncomfortable with his unrequited lust towards Danny so he had to create an alter ego to explore their relationship.

"Unrequited"? :smallamused:

The Rose Dragon
2013-06-21, 05:38 PM
"Unrequited"? :smallamused:

They are a little married, and they love it.

CRtwenty
2013-06-25, 02:40 AM
Oh Walky, I was waiting for somebody to stick their foot in their mouth. Figures it'd be you.

Astrella
2013-06-25, 04:08 AM
*smacks Walky with pillow*

The Rose Dragon
2013-06-25, 04:58 AM
Today we learn that, in real life, when you can't see people, they can still hear you.

...what do you mean Dumbing of Age isn't real life?

((Incidentally, I wonder if Walky and Joe will be friends, like they sort of were in It's Walky!.))

Flickerdart
2013-07-10, 12:14 AM
Someone who's read more of Willis' stuff, tell me: do the various plot lines ever converge with hilarious consequences? Because there are too many to keep track of and there need to be fewer.

The Rose Dragon
2013-07-10, 07:45 AM
Umm... good question. This is the first time Willis has tried such a sprawling cast that didn't have a reason to be close to each other (whether that reason is fighting aliens or running a toystore or being roomies). Currently, it looks like different plot lines cross each other at various places and then diverge again until it is appropriate once more. Whether there will be a grand plotline crossover, I don't know.

CRtwenty
2013-07-12, 05:29 PM
Someone who's read more of Willis' stuff, tell me: do the various plot lines ever converge with hilarious consequences? Because there are too many to keep track of and there need to be fewer.

They cross over frequently yes. It's not that hard to keep track of though. You can read and enjoy Shortpacked without having read It's Walky, since most of the characters are separate. Roomies and It's Walky are different, since they're essentially one story spread across two comics.

Dumbing of Age is an AU though, you can read it without any prior knowledge of Willis previous work. Though you'll miss out on some of the injokes.

Astrella
2013-08-02, 04:13 AM
So...Ethan's mum is basically a horrible excuse for a human.

Merellis
2013-08-10, 08:44 AM
So...Ethan's mum is basically a horrible excuse for a human.

And then you get right to Joyce's parents. :smalleek:

CRtwenty
2013-08-12, 12:43 AM
And Faz finally appears.

The next comic will obviously be Dina and Amber submiting to Faz's overpowering charisma followed by a week of Faz seducing the entire female cast. Resistance is futile.

Sir_Leorik
2013-08-12, 09:02 AM
Why does Willis even need so many characters? I understand having cameos to keep the illusion of college life, since if he only focused on the same six or seven characters all the time, the campus would look deserted (unlike having a half dozen employees in a toy store, more during holiday season). But why does he keep adding and adding characters?

I bet he's going to add Super-Car, either as a mini-van some of the cast rent, or as a girl who goes by on roller skates every so often, and Historical Jesus as the campus janitor. The only character he probably won't add is Robin; she's too awesome to exist in the crapsack would of "Dumbing of Age".

Sir_Leorik
2013-08-12, 09:39 AM
I also just realized that the alt-text to the latest "DoA" comic came from an offhand remark made by one of the commenters last week, whom Willis got into a heated debate with. Willis should be paying that guy royalties. :smallsigh:

Seerow
2013-08-12, 12:12 PM
Why does Willis even need so many characters? I understand having cameos to keep the illusion of college life, since if he only focused on the same six or seven characters all the time, the campus would look deserted (unlike having a half dozen employees in a toy store, more during holiday season). But why does he keep adding and adding characters?

I bet he's going to add Super-Car, either as a mini-van some of the cast rent, or as a girl who goes by on roller skates every so often, and Historical Jesus as the campus janitor. The only character he probably won't add is Robin; she's too awesome to exist in the crapsack would of "Dumbing of Age".

Didn't Robin already come in early on? Senator DeSanto?

JadedDM
2013-08-12, 03:39 PM
Indeed, Robin has appeared (http://www.dumbingofage.com/tag/robin/) in 9 strips already.

Sir_Leorik
2013-08-12, 03:52 PM
Indeed, Robin has appeared (http://www.dumbingofage.com/tag/robin/) in 9 strips already.

Yeesh. You need a scorecard to keep track of everyone!

CRtwenty
2013-08-13, 03:54 AM
Yeesh. You need a scorecard to keep track of everyone!

It's not that confusing. You really only need to pay attention to the main ones, the rest are mostly just reoccuring cameos.

Also Ambers Dad's brand of evil seems to be a bit hammier in this universe. Just look at those supervillian gestures he's making today. :smalltongue:

The Rose Dragon
2013-08-13, 06:28 AM
He took over for Galasso. And the Head Alien.

Sir_Leorik
2013-08-13, 10:20 AM
He took over for Galasso. And the Head Alien.

Galasso seems exactly the same as the one in "Shortpacked", but he's hindered by being stuck in a mundane universe, not one that operates under "magical realism", with fancy sci-fi gadgets and magic. "Shortpacked" Galasso could have more success conquering the world with a chain of pizza restaurants under his control than a toy store, IMO. And the Head Alien is saddled with the disadvantage of being a Fictional Character in a world where Fictional Characters can't break the Fourth Wall. And not only is he a Fictional Character, he's stuck on a kids cartoon, and that never works out for villains, unless they're voiced by Frank Welker (and even then they may acheive some measure of success before meeting a gruesome death at the hands of a hero).

Sir_Leorik
2013-08-13, 10:29 AM
I'm beginning to develop a theory about what the "DoA" universe actually is.

It's not an alternate universe from the Walkyverse; it's some sort of shared afterlife for the characters from the Walkyverse, the way the "sideways" timeline in Season Six of "Lost" was. Just like the characters on "Lost" came together to work out their issues in some sort of Limbo or Purgatory, before ascending into the "light" in the series finale, Willis has created a place for all of his characters to work out their messed up lives. This includes Willis himself, who seems to be using Joyce's new story to work out some issues he has lingering from his upbringing.

CRtwenty
2013-08-13, 06:01 PM
I'm beginning to develop a theory about what the "DoA" universe actually is.

It's not an alternate universe from the Walkyverse; it's some sort of shared afterlife for the characters from the Walkyverse, the way the "sideways" timeline in Season Six of "Lost" was. Just like the characters on "Lost" came together to work out their issues in some sort of Limbo or Purgatory, before ascending into the "light" in the series finale, Willis has created a place for all of his characters to work out their messed up lives. This includes Willis himself, who seems to be using Joyce's new story to work out some issues he has lingering from his upbringing.

And that still wouldn't be the most convoluted thing Willis has written. :smalltongue:

Clistenes
2013-08-13, 07:06 PM
About current page: (where Dina allows Amber's father and Faz to enter and doesn't even warn her)

Dina, this act has reduced dramatically your cuteness. Now you are a farther from "cute chick with endearing quirks" and closer to "person with real problems that can endanger both herself and others".

I mean, if her family usually act that way, they are asking to be robbed, murdered, raped or at least to be target of a lawsuit...what part of "not opening the door, not speaking to and not staying in the same room that somebody you know to be violent and dangerous" are they unable to understand?

I miss the original Dina. She wouldn't have done something so dumb.

I hope Joe, Joe's dad and Mike come to the rescue and beat the **** out of Amber's father.

The Rose Dragon
2013-08-13, 07:09 PM
We have no evidence saying that Amber's dad is a violent ass in Dumbing of Age, do we? Just some species of ass.

I mean, look, he even makes time to have some "quality time" with Faz. With Faz! No one can possibly stand Faz except Amber's dad!

Sir_Leorik
2013-08-13, 10:09 PM
About current page: (where Dina allows Amber's father and Faz to enter and doesn't even warn her)

Dina, this act has reduced dramatically your cuteness. Now you are a farther from "cute chick with endearing quirks" and closer to "person with real problems that can endanger both herself and others".

I mean, if her family usually act that way, they are asking to be robbed, murdered, raped or at least to be target of a lawsuit...what part of "not opening the door, not speaking to and not staying in the same room that somebody you know to be violent and dangerous" are they unable to understand?

It seems like something Abed might have done. Of course if this were happening on "Community" Jeff would grab Amber's dad, Faz and Chang, and toss all three of them out. Then Dean Pelton would swoon. :smallbiggrin:

I miss the original Dina. She wouldn't have done something so dumb.

I hope Joe, Joe's dad and Mike come to the rescue and beat the **** out of Amber's father.

Probably Joe's dad. Joe might try to score points with Amber from his Dad beating up Amber's dad or he might toss out Faz. Mike will make sarcastic comments, but he might punch Faz just for the hell of it.

Flickerdart
2013-08-15, 11:31 AM
Holy crap, I just realized that it's Sal in the last panel and not an entirely new character.

The Rose Dragon
2013-08-15, 11:40 AM
Holy crap, I just realized that it's Sal in the last panel and not an entirely new character.

I wonder if Sal will go back to her straightened hair anytime, or stay curly-haired forever and ever.

CRtwenty
2013-08-15, 01:01 PM
I wonder if Sal will go back to her straightened hair anytime, or stay curly-haired forever and ever.

My guess is she's gonna stay curly haired. It helps distinguish her from her character from the other verse.

Also that look for her is scary... in a sexy sort of way.

The Rose Dragon
2013-08-15, 01:39 PM
Also that look for her is scary... in a sexy sort of way.

Exactly! It fits Sal's character perfectly!

Though maybe her new hairstyle will give her some character development so that she's more approachable.

CRtwenty
2013-08-16, 12:22 AM
And back to Amber... Along with Faz working his magic. Dina won't be able to resist for long. :smallwink:

The Rose Dragon
2013-08-16, 06:35 AM
And back to Amber... Along with Faz working his magic. Dina won't be able to resist for long. :smallwink:

Resist what, punching him in the face?

Seerow
2013-08-16, 04:55 PM
Resist what, punching him in the face?

I was kind of going for suicide via grenade, taking Faz and Amber's Dad out of the world with her.

The Rose Dragon
2013-08-16, 05:06 PM
I was kind of going for suicide via grenade, taking Faz and Amber's Dad out of the world with her.

Man now you made me sad thinking about Walkyverse Dina. I hope you are happy with yourself.

You monster.

Shadow of the Sun
2013-08-18, 02:33 AM
Well, today and yesterday's strips have been the most amazingly cathartic things I've seen in a while.

John Campbell
2013-08-19, 09:19 AM

It's the best she could do.

CRtwenty
2013-08-19, 07:15 PM
On the latest strip: I have never anticipated the next strip more than today. Blaine's in for an ass kicking of biblical proportions.

Which means we're probably going to switch back to Schoolgirl Sal or one of the other characters. Willis is mean like that. :smallamused:

The Rose Dragon
2013-09-04, 03:04 AM
Well Naomi is officially horrible.

Gez
2013-09-05, 05:25 AM
Most of the parents in that comic are.

Except for Dina's parents. They're adorable.

The Rose Dragon
2013-09-05, 05:31 AM
I don't know, I kinda like Joe's dad. He is Joe, with a beard, and Joe has the underpinnings of great guy.

JadedDM
2013-09-05, 12:29 PM
Dorothy's parents are alright.

And then there's Mike's parents?

thorgrim29
2013-09-06, 03:22 PM
I've binged all of the the walkyverse comics in the last 2 weeks (I read Shortpacked before It's Walky, so I was completely floored when things like the drama tag and the giant honey bun were actually real). It may interest you to know that the schoolgirl Sal outfit (probably her boarding school uniform BTW) is the same outfit Walky wore when he and Joyce got gender-switched.

And yeah, Nathan and Joyce's parents are pretty horrible people, but they're believably horrible. However, Amber's arc right there falls a bit flat for me, mainly it's because her dad is so cartoonishly evil.

The Rose Dragon
2013-09-06, 04:13 PM
And yeah, Nathan and Joyce's parents are pretty horrible people, but they're believably horrible. However, Amber's arc right there falls a bit flat for me, mainly it's because her dad is so cartoonishly evil.

Nathan? Who is Nathan? Did I miss someone somewhere?

((Oh gods don't make me read It's Walky! again.))

thorgrim29
2013-09-06, 04:32 PM
Right, Ethan... I am horrible at names

The Rose Dragon
2013-09-07, 03:57 AM
So, Ethan has found a possible boyfriend. He's just like his girlfriend, but a guy.

Gez
2013-09-07, 09:46 AM
So. Jonathan, Joshua, Jordan, and Joyce. There is still room for a Jorge, a Joanna, and a Joseph. Get to work, Hank and Carol!

CRtwenty
2013-09-09, 03:43 AM
So. Jonathan, Joshua, Jordan, and Joyce. There is still room for a Jorge, a Joanna, and a Joseph. Get to work, Hank and Carol!

If they're anything like their Walkyverse counterparts they've long since placed all their hopes of further progeny on Joyce's shoulders.

Occasional Sage
2013-09-09, 08:59 AM
I don't understand the recycling of characters. Can anybody explain what it brings to the table that's positive? I see people being confused/upset/disappointed by differences, and no reason not to just write a new cast to shed incorrect assumptions.

Gez
2013-09-09, 09:26 AM
I don't understand the recycling of characters. Can anybody explain what it brings to the table that's positive? I see people being confused/upset/disappointed by differences, and no reason not to just write a new cast to shed incorrect assumptions.

This is what Willis says in the About/FAQ section:

If you’re a reader of other works by David Willis (Roomies!, It’s Walky!, Shortpacked!), you’ll like this webcomic as well! It stars some familiar faces in new situations. If you’re not familiar with his other webcomics, that’s even better! Why? Dumbing of Age is its own separate continuity, with no story ties to any previous works. It’s basically a reboot, if reboots usually ran concurrently with the original universe. I just wanted to write all my characters in college, minus fifteen years of baggage, okay?

It's not about the setting or story, it's about the characters. If you haven't noticed, David Willis likes toys a lot more than most people his age. DOA is him playing with his favorite toys, with no care given to how he played with them previously.

Glass Mouse
2013-09-09, 03:02 PM
It's not about the setting or story, it's about the characters. If you haven't noticed, David Willis likes toys a lot more than most people his age. DOA is him playing with his favorite toys, with no care given to how he played with them previously.

Plus, with some of them, it seems to be about improving those favourite toys (case in point, Ruth's story (http://www.bringbackroomies.com/comic/one-day-part-2-page-6/)).

(great analogy, by the way :smallbiggrin:)

CRtwenty
2013-09-10, 12:15 AM
Yeah he's able to come back to his old characters that he shoved into fridges and improve on them. Plus a lot of the characters in DoA are ones that have faded from relevance in the main continuity so it's nice to see familiar faces in new situations.

The Rose Dragon
2013-09-10, 02:10 AM
So, Joshua. Gay or super-gay?

CRtwenty
2013-09-10, 03:46 AM
So, Joshua. Gay or super-gay?

Super not wanting to get disowned by his family-gay.

I like him though. Hopefuly we get to see him making cute pouty faces like Joyce does all the time.

Also I'm feeling really, really bad for Joyce right about now. Hopefully it's a wake up call that Ethan may not have been the best boyfriend choice but I know Willis has months and months of angst for those two already planned out in his head. :smallwink:

John Campbell
2013-09-18, 06:21 PM
I've binged all of the the walkyverse comics in the last 2 weeks (I read Shortpacked before It's Walky, so I was completely floored when things like the drama tag and the giant honey bun were actually real). It may interest you to know that the schoolgirl Sal outfit (probably her boarding school uniform BTW) is the same outfit Walky wore when he and Joyce got gender-switched.
It's the uniform of Avalon High, from the long-defunct webcomic Avalon (http://www.avalonhigh.com/). There was a lot of overlap between the Avalon and It's Walky! fan communities back in the day. (I found It's Walky via Avalon, in fact.) Josh Phillips, the Avalon creator, did at least one con-filler week for Willis, and IIRC Avalon characters show up in con filler Willis drew, too.

There are other references to Avalon and the Avalon fandom in that IW! storyline, including a long shot of the school where you can see that it is in fact Avalon High. I recall Willis complaining about how hard it was to find the reference for that. The whole time-freezing thing is one big shot at the way Avalon died - like a lot of webcomics, erratic updates and missed promises trailing off into nothing at all. Though at least Josh did tell us how it all turns out.

Willis promising to eventually finish Joyce & Walky, and "not just with a text outline where everyone becomes lesbians" was a shot at Avalon, too.

I'm not sure if Sal's boarding school uniform is referencing Avalon, or referencing It's Walky! referencing Avalon, but in any case Avalon's at the end of the reference chain.

The Rose Dragon
2013-09-27, 06:10 AM
Hmm. Looks like we haven't had a good "Damn you Willis!" in a while.

So...

Damn you, Willis!

CRtwenty
2013-09-28, 03:38 AM
Hmm. Looks like we haven't had a good "Damn you Willis!" in a while.

So...

Damn you, Willis!

More like "Damn you Danny!"
Of course that's kind of a given, being that it's Danny.

The Rose Dragon
2013-09-28, 03:41 AM
More like "Damn you Danny!"
Of course that's kind of a given, being that it's Danny.

Well, yeah. There is a reason we have words like "Danning" or "Dannerisms".

Socratov
2013-09-30, 01:37 PM
So, just started with Dumbing of age, and I must say, I'm impressed. I mean the comic makes me laugh, out loud, more then once, while binging... Where has this comic been all my life?

Shadow of the Sun
2013-10-12, 02:12 AM
Called it.

Now let's see where this is going...

Arkhosia
2013-10-13, 03:44 PM
Yay, Dorothy & Joyce are allowed to be buddies now!

CRtwenty
2013-10-13, 06:32 PM
Called it.

Now let's see where this is going...

Damn... so much for that ship. :smallfrown:

Randomguy
2013-10-13, 11:09 PM
WOW. I did not see that coming.

Isn't it nice how close to midnight this comic updates for my timezone?

Arkhosia
2013-10-13, 11:21 PM
It updates at midnight for me

VeliciaL
2013-10-14, 02:27 AM
omgomgomg

As a trans woman, I'm a little excited right now.

Arkhosia
2013-10-14, 02:37 AM
omgomgomg

As a trans woman, I'm a little excited right now.

Oh, so that was what the whole thing with the text was!
I thought it was from Joyce. :smallredface:
(Cue banging head on wall repeatedly to knock sense back in head)

CRtwenty
2013-10-14, 02:39 AM
Even with the new revelations the ship still appears dead.
I need time to mourn. :smallfrown:

VeliciaL
2013-10-14, 02:45 AM
Oh, so that was what the whole thing with the text was!
I thought it was from Joyce. :smallredface:
(Cue banging head on wall repeatedly to knock sense back in head)

Admittedly, I zipped straight to the comments to make sure my hunch was correct. It took me a few minutes to get it, myself. :smalltongue:

Astrella
2013-10-14, 04:13 AM
Huh, I was joking about that being the case to a friend of mine. :smalltongue:

Randomguy
2013-10-16, 10:40 PM
So has the author been tagging all the posts with Joshua in them as #Jocelyn this whole time or did he go back and change them?

Astrella
2013-10-17, 12:29 AM
Went back and changed them.

Mewtarthio
2013-10-17, 12:30 AM
Willis has been known to go back and retroactively re-tag comics in the past. Plus, I'm pretty sure everyone would have guessed the twist if he hadn't used Jocelyn's birth name at first.

CRtwenty
2013-10-19, 06:13 AM
For those of you enjoying Willis' re release of "Roomies" with author commentary today's strip has newly drawn art.

Can't tell if that makes the strip better or worse. :smalleek:

stsasser
2013-11-22, 05:33 AM
So, is all this just variations on previous Willis drama?

idksocrates
2013-11-22, 09:32 PM
It really suffers from lots and lots of characters syndrome (and the stylized appearance doesn't help).

It helps that it updates five days a week though, so you don't forget who people are (at least, until the focus changes to someone else).

With a completely character-driven plot, I think having a sprawling cast of characters is an advantage, not a disadvantage.

Also I challenge you to pistols at dawn over the stylized art rip.

The point of DoA is kind of to remake the Walkyverse characters for a new audience. From what Willis has said there are a lot of DoA readers totally unfamiliar with the old comics. You can make the argument that Willis is uncreative or afraid of new territory; I won't argue with you. He just decided he liked his characters and wanted to put them in a new setting rather than make new ones. For long-time willis readers its a nice treat to see everyone in different roles, its the Angelic Days (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neon_Genesis_Evangelion:_Angelic_Days) of Neon Genisis: Evangelion.

Flickerdart
2013-11-24, 01:10 AM
This is about to go very poorly.

Seerow
2013-11-25, 08:56 AM
This is about to go very poorly.

Understatement of the week right here.

Moments like what is about to come are what makes all of the Danny hate understandable.

Flickerdart
2013-11-25, 03:49 PM
It's not really his fault, though. I mean, a little bit, but not really, given that his intentions were only the best.

Seerow
2013-11-25, 09:17 PM
It's not really his fault, though. I mean, a little bit, but not really, given that his intentions were only the best.

They usually are. It's how horribly painful to watch the results are that make him unlikable.

Randomguy
2013-11-25, 11:09 PM
I'm blaming Billie for this one. I mean, come on, who gives away a secret identity that quickly? No respect for her roomates privacy at all.

Sir_Leorik
2013-11-27, 12:10 AM
The point of DoA is kind of to remake the Walkyverse characters for a new audience. From what Willis has said there are a lot of DoA readers totally unfamiliar with the old comics. You can make the argument that Willis is uncreative or afraid of new territory; I won't argue with you. He just decided he liked his characters and wanted to put them in a new setting rather than make new ones. For long-time willis readers its a nice treat to see everyone in different roles, its the Angelic Days (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neon_Genesis_Evangelion:_Angelic_Days) of Neon Genisis: Evangelion.

That's not how I see "DoA". From my POV Willis is embarrassed by the comics he drew back in college, and has set out "to set right what once went wrong". The huge cast of "DoA" are the same characters from the "Walky-verse" reliving their lives in a purgatory-like alternate universe, just like the "sideways timeline" in season six of "Lost", only instead of wiping away their sins, they are there to cleanse away Willis' guilty conscience.

I predict that Super-Car will somehow enter the "DoA" purgatory dimension to rescue Malaya's soul, alongside Johnny Five, Optimus Primal and Chromedome
. :smallbiggrin:

I'm blaming Billie for this one. I mean, come on, who gives away a secret identity that quickly? No respect for her roomates privacy at all.

I blame Amber. She's the one who's keeping her "secret identity" from Danny in the first place. Since there are no supervillains in the "DoA" 'verse (that she knows of, anyway) the only reason to keep Danny in the dark is to keep him from being charged as an accessory to "Amazi-Girl"'s misdemeanors. If Danny decides to figure out who "Amazi-Girl" really is, and runs into Sal or Ruth, how is he to know better? And I can't really blame Billie; she may be 100% incorrect, but she does't know that. Though she probably should have tried to keep Danny from making a complete fool of himself...

John Campbell
2013-11-27, 03:18 AM
I think the main reason that Willis started DoA is just that he missed his old characters, all the ones that had been killed off or given their happy (or sad) endings and shunted off to their boring middle-aged lives, and wanted to write stories for them again. He's said that one of his favorite things about doing DoA is that people are asking him for sketches of Billie again. And the Walkyverse's path is already set, with fixed, and in some cases very final, destinies for all these characters, and an extremely limited amount of space for anything to be retconned in. A lot of the stories he's telling couldn't be told at all in the Walkyverse, just because there's no way to finagle the characters involved close enough together in space and time to do it, or to fit them into their established histories.

As for Amber and Danny (and Billie and Sal)... I totally blame Danny for being too willfully oblivious to allow himself to recognize that the girl he spends half his free time with is the same person as the girl he spends the other half of his free time with, and neither of her looks anything at all like Sal.

Billie's theory is pretty stupid, but if you ignore the insurmountable physical appearance problem, the logic kind of hangs together, and Billie hasn't spent nearly the amount of time around Amazi-Girl that Danny has, and has barely seen Amber at all. Eyewitness testimony is notoriously unreliable, and Billie's demonstrating why. By now, she's probably unconsciously retconned her memories of her encounters with Amazi-Girl to make them compatible with the theory she's convinced herself of.

Danny has way more evidence than Billie does, and it should be obvious to him that her theory is wrong. There's no support for Billie's theory, other than "Billie said it", and Danny's experience with Billie and her... journalism doesn't give him any particular reason to have confidence in her competence or her reliability. In his shoes, I'd figure she was making fun, because she obviously doesn't believe Danny was dating Amazi-Girl to begin with, and straight-out said as much.

And, sure, Amber could have solved the whole thing just by telling Danny her secret identity. But her secret identity is secret for a reason. No, this isn't a supers universe where, if anyone finds out who Amazi-Girl is, supervillains are going to come after her friends and loved ones as leverage against her. What it is is a realistic universe where the cops are going to come after her because she is a violent criminal. Vigilantism is not legal, and, while Amber tries to get the bad guys throw the first punch so she can claim self-defense after she beats the crap out them, because she's out there deliberately looking for trouble, that defense might not hold up in a court of law. If the wrong people figure out who Amazi-Girl is, Amber could be looking at jail time. Her secret identity is a real, serious thing for her, with real, serious consequences if it comes out. Does that sound like the kind of thing she should tell a guy she's known for less than three weeks, who is too oblivious to figure it out for himself, who friend-dumped her like a complete jerkwad immediately after claiming to have feelings for her, and who just told the frigging media that he's dating Amazi-Girl?

Sir_Leorik
2013-11-27, 10:14 AM
I think the main reason that Willis started DoA is just that he missed his old characters, all the ones that had been killed off or given their happy (or sad) endings and shunted off to their boring middle-aged lives, and wanted to write stories for them again. He's said that one of his favorite things about doing DoA is that people are asking him for sketches of Billie again. And the Walkyverse's path is already set, with fixed, and in some cases very final, destinies for all these characters, and an extremely limited amount of space for anything to be retconned in. A lot of the stories he's telling couldn't be told at all in the Walkyverse, just because there's no way to finagle the characters involved close enough together in space and time to do it, or to fit them into their established histories.

That's all true, but it still doesn't contradict my WMG. :smallbiggrin:

And, sure, Amber could have solved the whole thing just by telling Danny her secret identity. But her secret identity is secret for a reason. No, this isn't a supers universe where, if anyone finds out who Amazi-Girl is, supervillains are going to come after her friends and loved ones as leverage against her. What it is is a realistic universe where the cops are going to come after her because she is a violent criminal. Vigilantism is not legal, and, while Amber tries to get the bad guys throw the first punch so she can claim self-defense after she beats the crap out them, because she's out there deliberately looking for trouble, that defense might not hold up in a court of law. If the wrong people figure out who Amazi-Girl is, Amber could be looking at jail time. Her secret identity is a real, serious thing for her, with real, serious consequences if it comes out. Does that sound like the kind of thing she should tell a guy she's known for less than three weeks, who is too oblivious to figure it out for himself, who friend-dumped her like a complete jerkwad immediately after claiming to have feelings for her, and who just told the frigging media that he's dating Amazi-Girl?

Amber's a smart girl, and she of all people should have known the consequences of becoming Amazi-Girl are. Not just the legal ramifications, but the emotional repurcussions. Danny thinks he's in love with Amazi-Girl, and he's desperately trying to unmask her, like Silver Age Lois Lane pursuing a wacky scheme to trick Superman into marrying her. (As an aside, is it me, or was misogyny the norm at DC Comics decades before Dan DiDio took over?) If Amber wants to keep Danny chasing after Amazi-Girl, all she needs to do is keep doing what she's currently doing.

Flickerdart
2013-11-27, 09:50 PM
Wait, why can't Danny tell that Sal isn't AmaziGirl by the sound of her voice? Do they sound that much alike?

John Campbell
2013-11-27, 10:44 PM
Danny's just that dumb.

Mewtarthio
2013-11-28, 07:15 PM
Wait, why can't Danny tell that Sal isn't AmaziGirl by the sound of her voice? Do they sound that much alike?

He's assuming she disguises her voice.

Flickerdart
2013-11-29, 01:58 AM
He's assuming she disguises her voice.
But not her choice of Mario Kart racer?

Glass Mouse
2013-11-29, 03:57 AM
But not her choice of Mario Kart racer?

Her voice could be recognized by any enemy passerby. Her Mario Kart racer is more exclusive knowledge.

Flickerdart
2013-11-29, 01:25 PM
A part of me wants to believe that Amazigirl battles her enemies in Mario Kart as often as with violence.

Ionathus
2013-12-15, 01:51 PM
My two cents on the whole "Willis did it because he's lazy/unoriginal/trying to atone" discussion:

I tried out the Walkyverse this summer, started from the beginning, and got somewhere into Joyce & Walky before just giving up. I've never invested that much time into a comic without seeing it through to the end, but on some level a part of it just didn't agree with me. I now think that part was the sudden, inexplicable sci-fi elements. Back then (in the Roomies! arcs) they were very seemingly-haphazard, with no true impression of what was going on and, more importantly, no true impression that the writer truly knew what he was doing, rather just throwing aliens into the story at random.

I know that's not what he was doing - maybe it was for a while - but eventually good things came of it. However, I think part of why I lost interest was because I just had loved those first comics so much. I liked seeing Danny and Joe and Joyce and Billie interacting at college and, honestly, I always did really want to see some sort of Joyce/Danny relationship explored.

I'm okay with that never happening in DoA, but just the fact that I'd loved the normal college setting means that I'm totally okay with this "reboot." I fully support Willis in the decision to do a universe where sci-fi elements aren't muddying the narrative waters, so to speak.

John Campbell
2013-12-18, 12:39 AM
What I want to know is what Amber did to make Willis hate her so much.

Randomguy
2013-12-22, 12:18 AM
PLOT TWIST!

Also: Does anyone know how Sarah knew Ethan was gay? I checked through the archives and didn't find anything that would have explicitly let her know. Or was it just intuition?

Seerow
2013-12-22, 12:41 AM
PLOT TWIST!

Also: Does anyone know how Sarah knew Ethan was gay? I checked through the archives and didn't find anything that would have explicitly let her know. Or was it just intuition?

Pretty sure that was just intuition.

ThirdEmperor
2013-12-23, 11:59 AM
Well, I'm out. Willis started an entire new continuity to get rid of old baggage on his storylines and somehow kept the worst of it. This is so over-the-top dramatic it's almost funny.

idksocrates
2013-12-24, 01:10 AM
PLOT TWIST!

Sara is pretty cynical and if a guy is with Joyce and he isn't showing all the typical signs of male horndogness she would probably assume gay.

Sara has been proven to be pretty good at reading people, even if she reads them in the worst possible way.

CRtwenty
2013-12-24, 05:40 AM
Sara is pretty cynical and if a guy is with Joyce and he isn't showing all the typical signs of male horndogness she would probably assume gay.

Sara has been proven to be pretty good at reading people, even if she reads them in the worst possible way.

She knew Ethan was gay from the beginning. I can't remember the exact strip but I remember her saying something like "Does Joyce know you're Gay? Do YOU know you're Gay?" when she first met him.

Honestly Joyce seems to be the only one who didn't realize Ethan was gay right off the bat.

Well, I'm out. Willis started an entire new continuity to get rid of old baggage on his storylines and somehow kept the worst of it. This is so over-the-top dramatic it's almost funny.

I've always assumed it was intentional on his part. It really wouldn't be a Willis strip without the over the top drama. :smallwink:

Sir_Leorik
2014-01-03, 10:49 AM
What I want to know is what Amber did to make Willis hate her so much.

Willis hates all of his characters, because he puts part of his character, his history or some other aspect of himself into each of his characters, and Willis is full of self-loathing. He creates new characters just to brag about how much he hates them. If there is any cartoonist who needs to let his work stand on it's own, without giving tons of insipid comments, it's David Willis. (He also needs to hire a plumber to empty the muck out of his comments section at least once a week.)

His artwork has improved by leaps and bounds since he began drawing "Roomies", and he has a gift for storytelling. But he can't resist getting into fights with commenters, trolling on Twitter, or posting tons of commentary on his Tumblr. He needs to let the work stand or fall on it's own merits. He's been doing this webcomics gig for fifteen years; you'd think he'd be willing to do so already.

CRtwenty
2014-01-03, 06:44 PM
But he can't resist getting into fights with commenters, trolling on Twitter, or posting tons of commentary on his Tumblr. He needs to let the work stand or fall on it's own merits. He's been doing this webcomics gig for fifteen years; you'd think he'd be willing to do so already.

Personally I find watching Willis arguing on his own comment pages to be part of the appeal of his work.

Glass Mouse
2014-01-04, 09:15 AM
Personally I find watching Willis arguing on his own comment pages to be part of the appeal of his work.

Yeah, me too. I really enjoy that there's an educational aspect to the story, if one goes looking for it.

Sir_Leorik
2014-01-04, 08:38 PM

He's basically stand-up comic who gets into an argument with five different audience members after he finishes each joke. Meanwhile, the rest of the audience grab popcorn, which they throw at Willis' opponents.

Yeah, me too. I really enjoy that there's an educational aspect to the story, if one goes looking for it.

I'm not denying that. The recent storyline about Walky and Sal was eye-opening for me, and I enjoyed it. Willis tackled a serious subject without being preachy. Then he had to shut down his comments section because of trolling. My question is, why doesn't he do the same when he discusses religion, or when he attacks "misandry" over at "Shortpacked"? His comments section attract Trolls, and even worse, he ignores some of the Trolls whose political views align with his. He does sometimes make mature statements in response, but why can't he be even more responsible and establish a clearer commenting policy which he strictly enforces? The few times he deletes comments or bans commenters seem arbitrary without a more clear cut policy.

On a more positive note, I really liked the most recent strip. Just Walky, Dorothy and some flowers. :smallsmile:

CRtwenty
2014-01-04, 08:46 PM
On a more positive note, I really liked the most recent strip. Just Walky, Dorothy and some flowers. :smallsmile:

Enjoy it while it lasts, we'll be back to Danny and Blaine before you know it. :smalltongue:

Sir_Leorik
2014-01-05, 08:28 AM
Enjoy it while it lasts, we'll be back to Danny and Blaine before you know it. :smalltongue:

Oh I know that the plots that Willis is juggling will collide. They're already starting to: Walky showed Dorothy the picture of Amazi-Girl storming out of the Dorm, and he suggested that Dorothy crack the case. The real question is whether Willis will screw up the "plots colliding with each other" bit. He's setting up an Amber (or rather Amazi-Girl) vs. Sal conflict, a Dorothy vs. Amazi-Girl conflict, a Danny vs. Dorothy conflict (once Dorothy discovers Amber's secret), in addition to all of the other conflicts currently ongoing. The kettle is starting to boil, but will Willis lower the flame? Of course not. He hates his characters too much to do that. :smallannoyed:

tavo2
2014-01-05, 11:56 AM
dumbing of age
ok here is my review
sorry if it is too damn long

art.- good not incredible (extra points because its daily and probably doesnt
have a lot of time to put the extra effort in invididual strips)

since the art is scaled down to small strip it looks a lot better than his
shortpacked comics and actually makes an effort with backgorunds.

random stuff.- willis loves sitcoms, shortpacked is loosely based on scrubs
and dumbing of age is the comunnity,

since he has been making webcomics since forever he made an all star brand
new webcomic, and used everything he learned from previous works,

he already knew which characters & story developments resonated with the
internet public and just added the latest whatever tumblr is into these days,

Now he hit the jackpot with racial controversies that resonated with a lot
of people (I dont care because in my country almost everybody is a mixed race)

don't be confused probably loves this comic but he clearly was in the money
in this one, he toned his previous webcomics drama(at least avoided in the first
couple of years) and dropped his loved sci fi elements to get a broarder audience

by the time dumbing of age debuted, shortpaked was in a low, the characters
became unlikeable, there was too much drama for the sake of drama, it was already
too old to get new readers and the audience was divided (some people only
came for the batman jokes), the art was kinda lazy (repeated too much backgrounds
and the characters designs were boring (just compare one page of shortpacked and
dumbing of age, I blame the toystore uniforms))

In conclusion dumbing of age is a good comiC, nothing more nothing less.

Clistenes
2014-01-07, 05:02 AM
Next strip: Danny sees the Amazi-girl pic and shouts: "Amazi-girl is short white girl?!!" "Sal, you have tricked me!!!" (yes, I think he's dumb enough to put the fault on Sal).

Or he could remain in denial and claim that girl is a fake/copycat. He's dumb enough for that too.

Glass Mouse
2014-01-08, 07:43 AM
Next strip: Danny sees the Amazi-girl pic and shouts: "Amazi-girl is short white girl?!!" "Sal, you have tricked me!!!" (yes, I think he's dumb enough to put the fault on Sal).

Or he could remain in denial and claim that girl is a fake/copycat. He's dumb enough for that too.

I really don't see the former happen. Danny is dumb as rocks, but he's goodnatured and trusting, and we haven't seen him petty or vindictive over imagined slights (though sometimes angry about legitimate things, e.g. being broken up with, having a friend disrespect your relationship etc.).

The latter... eh, I don't think so. He might wonder how Sal got the costume, wig and makeup on that fast. I might be giving him too much credit, but I think he can recognize AG in-costume even if he can't out-of-costume.

I also really don't understand the Danny hate. "Nice boy, but he ain't too smart (http://www.dumbingofage.com/2013/comic/book-4/01-the-only-dope-for-me-is-you/stumble/)" is the most accurate description I've heard. He's worth a lot of facepalming, but not really any hate. He's just a genuinely nice person who tries his best, but is too clueless to do the right thing most of the time.

Sir_Leorik
2014-01-08, 11:25 AM
I also really don't understand the Danny hate. "Nice boy, but he ain't too smart (http://www.dumbingofage.com/2013/comic/book-4/01-the-only-dope-for-me-is-you/stumble/)" is the most accurate description I've heard. He's worth a lot of facepalming, but not really any hate. He's just a genuinely nice person who tries his best, but is too clueless to do the right thing most of the time.

Right now, the comments section of "Dumbing of Age" is filling up with Danny hate, with a smattering of defenders coming out of the woodwork. :smallannoyed:

I don't understand why readers hate this character. I understand why Willis hates Danny; Danny represents everything that Willis regrets about his earliest work, and therefore he dumps Danny into situations designed to inflame the readers against him, but why are the readers taking the bait? Danny's a bit slow on the uptake, but he's a genuinely nice guy. He ran after his ex-girlfriend rather than going to a different college, because he hoped that he and Dorothy could make the relationship work. Once Dorothy made it clear to Danny that they were over, Danny didn't stalk Dorothy, or anything like that. He reacted like someone who was genuinely hurt, but willing to move on. And yet the fanbase hates him. Go figure.

Meanwhile, Amber lacks the guts to have Amazi-Girl unmask to her boyfriend (preferably on a rooftop). Amazi-Girl is Amber's refuge, and unmasking, letting someone know her secret identity, would destroy that refuge.

As for Blaine, Amber's father, he's a creep, but like many creeps he knows how to fake being normal. Danny, having zero ranks in Sense Motive, and a Wisdom penalty, can beat Blain's opposed Bluff check.

CRtwenty
2014-01-13, 04:51 AM
Right now, the comments section of "Dumbing of Age" is filling up with Danny hate, with a smattering of defenders coming out of the woodwork. :smallannoyed:

I don't understand why readers hate this character.

Because Danny exists to be hated. It's pretty much become a running joke in the series that all of the readers hate him no matter what he does. Willis constantly mocking him in his comments for the Roomies rerelease has only added fuel to the fire.

That said I don't really hate his DoA version. He seems like a pretty decent guy.

Sir_Leorik
2014-01-13, 11:09 PM
Because Danny exists to be hated. It's pretty much become a running joke in the series that all of the readers hate him no matter what he does. Willis constantly mocking him in his comments for the Roomies rerelease has only added fuel to the fire.

That said I don't really hate his DoA version. He seems like a pretty decent guy.

But he hasn't done anything horrible. He's not Faz! He's not even DoA!Faz! He's a well-meaning but obtuse 18-year-old.

I think that Willis hates Danny so much because he can't hide from his old shame that is his old life. But if he really wanted to exorcise Danny, why bring him along into this new "sideways" timeline?

Maybe my theory that the DoA-verse is some sort of purgatory-type afterlife for the Walkyverse characters was more accurate than I realized. :smallsigh:

tavo2
2014-01-14, 03:04 PM
Amazigirl is too competent, where did she get those skills?
I thought that dumbing of age Was a down to earth
Comic ,
(probably in the future we get to see a flashback of a traininig
Montage or something like that)

Sir_Leorik
2014-01-14, 06:10 PM
Amazigirl is too competent, where did she get those skills?
I thought that dumbing of age Was a down to earth
Comic ,
(probably in the future we get to see a flashback of a traininig
Montage or something like that)

She obviously spent a week studying in Nanda Parbat this summer, duh. :smallamused:

tavo2
2014-01-16, 11:41 AM
I hope amazi girl dont end up in mexico

CRtwenty
2014-01-16, 02:48 PM
I hope amazi girl dont end up in mexico

Knowing Willis, she's going to jump off at the next stoplight. Which will happen to be located right outside the place where Blaine and Danny are eating.

tavo2
2014-01-17, 12:14 AM
From shortpacked:...

Shortpacked! is nine years old today!

When it turns ten, it will cease regular updates.

Makes total sense doa is more popular, more new reader friendly,
And its not a mess

VeliciaL
2014-01-17, 08:46 PM
As someone who hasn't read any other Walkyverse comic and doesn't touch the comments, I can't even say I dislike Danny. The worst thing he's done is follow his girlfriend to college in a somewhat manipulative bid to stay with her, but even then it felt more like him being a moron than malice, and he's kept his distance ever since Dorothy was blunt honest with him.

I find myself rooting for him and Amber, because it feels like a relationship there could help both of them.

tavo2
2014-01-19, 12:46 PM
In ten hours, “Walky Performs A Sex: And For A First Time It’s Surprisingly Not Embarrassing Or Aggressively Terrible: A Dumbing Of Age Pornographique” goes live on Slipshine. Seventeen full-color pages of entirely canon premarital hanky-panky. Have those subscriptions ready!
I thought this Was Joke

Gez
2014-01-19, 01:27 PM
And For A First Time It’s Surprisingly Not Embarrassing Or Aggressively Terrible

I'd say something along the lines of "I'll be the judge of that", but actually that'd require me to buy a subscription for that... Well played, Willis. Well played.

VeliciaL
2014-01-20, 12:48 AM
I'll admit, I read the preview, and I thought it was kinda silly and cute. Not enough to make me want to buy it, mind...

CRtwenty
2014-01-20, 01:30 AM
I thought this Was Joke

Willis has done explicit stuff with his characters before. And he dropped some pretty heavy hints during the last kickstarter that he was planning on drawing a complete sex comic with a DoA couple.

Anyway regarding the newest comic.

Amazi-Girl should just hang up and wait. Danny's the kind of person who'll eventually drive his kidnappers to suicide anyway. :smallwink:

Sir_Leorik
2014-01-21, 10:43 AM
WTF is wrong with Willis? (I'm not discussing the Slipstream side comic BTW.) Here goes and brings in a genuine villain to the comic, and he starts apologizing to the readers for bringing in a genuine villain? Blaine is an excellent villain, but Willis has to go and act like he's afraid of getting cooties if he includes this character in his perfect little college webcomic.

Seriously, Willis is acting like a Pro Wrestling promoter, who's trying to get the Comments section to boo the Heel. IMO a good villain should be able to stand on his own merits, without alt-text proclaiming him "history's worst monster", or trolling from the author in the comments section. :smallannoyed:

That being said, I did enjoy the Two-Face reference in the alt-text to today's comic. "DoA" needs more "Batman: the Animated Series" references. :smallamused:

Mewtarthio
2014-01-21, 03:31 PM
WTF is wrong with Willis? (I'm not discussing the Slipstream side comic BTW.) Here goes and brings in a genuine villain to the comic, and he starts apologizing to the readers for bringing in a genuine villain? Blaine is an excellent villain, but Willis has to go and act like he's afraid of getting cooties if he includes this character in his perfect little college webcomic.

What are you referring to, exactly? :smallconfused:

Astrella
2014-01-21, 08:00 PM
The announcement underneath the last comic I think?

Mewtarthio
2014-01-21, 11:19 PM
The announcement underneath the last comic I think?

Ah, you mean the comic on the 20th?

I'm pretty sure that's just a segue into "selling pornography" mode, rather than an actual apology for including Blaine.

Because Willis is never sorry for making his characters suffer.

CRtwenty
2014-01-21, 11:32 PM
Ah, you mean the comic on the 20th?

I'm pretty sure that's just a segue into "selling pornography" mode, rather than an actual apology for including Blaine.

Because Willis is never sorry for making his characters suffer.

This. It seemed to me it was more of a "Awww, did you guys like that cute widdle bit with Dorothy and Walky? BAM! It's time to hop on the Blaine Train!" rather than an actual apology. :smalltongue:

Sir_Leorik
2014-01-22, 12:30 PM
This. It seemed to me it was more of a "Awww, did you guys like that cute widdle bit with Dorothy and Walky? BAM! It's time to hop on the Blaine Train!" rather than an actual apology. :smalltongue:

So you think he's just trying build up the Heel so the comments section will get ready to rumble, huh? :smallamused:

idksocrates
2014-01-23, 12:24 PM
I'll admit, I read the preview, and I thought it was kinda silly and cute. Not enough to make me want to buy it, mind...

As a slipshine subscriber and purveyor of fine smut i heartily endorse Walky Performs a Sex.

CRtwenty
2014-02-01, 12:10 AM
After the most recent comic I went back through the archive. Sure enough Sals either worn gloves or had her right hand hidden in every single panel she's appeared in.

She even SLEEPS wearing her gloves. Willis had to have planned this from the beginning.

Mewtarthio
2014-02-01, 01:36 AM
Huh. You're right. She sleeps in her gloves (http://www.dumbingofage.com/2013/comic/book-4/01-the-only-dope-for-me-is-you/bunk/), she sleeps with her TA in her gloves (http://www.dumbingofage.com/2013/comic/book-3/03-answers-in-hennessy/pillow-talk/), and the one time she doesn't wear gloves (when she's dressed up for her parents), she keeps her right hand hidden behind her back at all times (http://www.dumbingofage.com/2013/comic/book-3/04-just-hangin-out-with-my-family/littlebit/).

John Campbell
2014-02-01, 01:58 AM
Not (http://www.dumbingofage.com/2011/comic/book-2/01-pajama-jeans/law/) true (http://www.dumbingofage.com/2011/comic/book-2/01-pajama-jeans/disperse/).

I bet Sal's hands smell awful.

CRtwenty
2014-02-01, 02:40 AM
Not (http://www.dumbingofage.com/2011/comic/book-2/01-pajama-jeans/law/) true (http://www.dumbingofage.com/2011/comic/book-2/01-pajama-jeans/disperse/).

I bet Sal's hands smell awful.

Hrm... well so much for that.
Still a stab like that has got to cause some scarring.

Shadow of the Sun
2014-02-01, 04:23 AM
Hrm... well so much for that.
Still a stab like that has got to cause some scarring.

To be fair, those are old strips. Back before Willis might have had this storyline in mind. So take it with a grain of salt.

Mewtarthio
2014-02-01, 12:51 PM
Those strips are also from when Joyce was injured. Perhaps Sal magnanimously took Joyce's scars onto herself, causing a knife which had missed to retroactively strike true.

Astrella
2014-02-03, 12:35 AM
Yay, go Danny~

CRtwenty
2014-02-03, 07:44 AM
Yay, go Danny~

Just wait, he'll find some way to Danny it up. :smallannoyed:

Seerow
2014-02-03, 07:49 PM
Just wait, he'll find some way to Danny it up. :smallannoyed:

He's too busy meta-danning right now.

He danned things up until everyone hated him, and now at the climax when everyone waits for him to **** up in spectacular fashion, he does a 360 and starts acting like a rational, even good, human being. Everyone who has been salivating over the thought of his complete fall of epic Dannitude is suddenly left blue-balled.

Effectively, he Danned up Danning things up. And it's hilarious.

Sir_Leorik
2014-02-04, 05:51 PM
He's too busy meta-danning right now.

He danned things up until everyone hated him, and now at the climax when everyone waits for him to **** up in spectacular fashion, he does a 360 and starts acting like a rational, even good, human being. Everyone who has been salivating over the thought of his complete fall of epic Dannitude is suddenly left blue-balled.

Effectively, he Danned up Danning things up. And it's hilarious.

I think you mean that Danny "[did] a 180o", not "a 360o". :smallamused:

Also, this is called "character growth" when it happens to other characters in this or any other comic. Yet everyone has so much hatred for Danny that the only possible explanation is that his actions in the "Walkyverse" are coloring their attitudes. Which only reaffirms my belief that the "DoA" verse is a variant of the "sideways" timeline on "Lost", i.e. a purgatory or other version of the afterlife for the "Walkyverse" characters. How else could Danny be forced to do pennance for sins his alternate universe counterpart committed? :smalltongue:

Seerow
2014-02-04, 09:15 PM
I think you mean that Danny "[did] a 180o", not "a 360o". :smallamused:

Why did they call it a xbox 360? Because when you saw it you did a 360 and walked away!

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2014-02-05, 12:34 AM
.... So you turned a full circle, and walked away whilst facing the xbox?

Man, I don't trust my backwards walking that much.

... I don't have anyhting to contribute. I read the comic, I enjoy it. I dunno.

CRtwenty
2014-02-09, 07:36 PM

... I don't have anyhting to contribute. I read the comic, I enjoy it. I dunno.

https://gs1.wac.edgecastcdn.net/8019B6/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_meqckfAkIl1qegw8v.gif

Real pros do it like this.

Seerow
2014-02-11, 10:40 PM

Sorry, it's a dumb meme that trolls in WoW used to spam trade chat with. The game is to see how many people you can get to object that a 360 doesn't work that way when you say it.

Flickerdart
2014-02-12, 10:18 PM
It kind of seems to me that the events in today's comic couldn't happen; surely the taste would dissipate quickly, if it lingered at all. Can someone with convenient access to a significant other and booze try and replicate the results?

Seerow
2014-02-12, 10:26 PM
It kind of seems to me that the events in today's comic couldn't happen; surely the taste would dissipate quickly, if it lingered at all. Can someone with convenient access to a significant other and booze try and replicate the results?

I can confirm that after drinking large amounts of alcohol, I have still tasted it on my breath the following day up through midday (about 12-14 hours later). So I don't doubt that the results can be replicated, it would just require Billie to drink way more than the handful of beer bottles we saw her with.

Mewtarthio
2014-02-12, 11:02 PM
Or she's had a drink pretty recently. Or she's such a hardcore alcoholic that 90% of her bodily fluids have been replaced with ethanol.

Randomguy
2014-02-14, 12:03 AM
*reads comic*
*hearstrings pulled*
*reads alt text*
Bwahahahahahahahaha! Oh, the mood whiplash.

Flickerdart
2014-02-16, 12:42 AM
Man, this comic really knows how to do romance.

Randomguy
2014-02-16, 12:49 AM
The mood whiplash! It keeps happening!

idksocrates
2014-02-20, 02:12 AM
Willis just posted the dumbiverse versions of Malaya and Ultra Car.

http://itswalky.tumblr.com/post/77255008914/first-new-character-model-of-the-year-hoorays

http://itswalky.tumblr.com/post/77257423320/carla

tavo2
2014-02-20, 12:54 PM
Willis just posted the dumbiverse versions of Malaya and Ultra Car.

http://itswalky.tumblr.com/post/77255008914/first-new-character-model-of-the-year-hoorays

http://itswalky.tumblr.com/post/77257423320/carla

Shouldnt malaya be like 10-13 years old in that universe
since she like 10 years younger than ethan and the rest of cast

Randomguy
2014-02-20, 01:00 PM
Shouldnt malaya be like 10-13 years old in that universe
since she like 10 years younger than ethan and the rest of cast

It's already been established that the relative age of the characters in the dumbiverse can be whatever. Roz is the same age as the main cast in this universe even though she's much younger than them in the other universe.

The Extinguisher
2014-02-20, 01:24 PM
I'm excited. Ultra Car and Malaya are my favourite right now. So this is great. Sure, we're not going to see them until like October, but I won't fault a man who has a buffer that long.

idksocrates
2014-02-20, 05:07 PM
Carla is going to be transgender and asexual. Malaya will likely continue to be Carla-sexual.

JadedDM
2014-02-21, 12:17 PM
Carla...

Car.

Wow, I am embarrassed I just only now got that.

John Campbell
2014-02-21, 04:30 PM
When UC first got girled, someone in the Shortpacked! comments actually suggested that she should be called Ultra Carla. Maybe that's her roller-derby handle in DoA?

When Willis said that he was working on two new character designs, and the first was Malaya wearing skates, I was really not surprised in the least when the second was Ultra Car. Still, it's good to see her. I like UC since she got girled and gained some character depth, and was worried that she would disappear when Shortpacked! ends.

(Still hoping Leslie gets a bigger part in DoA after SP! ends. Leslie is the awesomest. Which is kind of hilarious given that she started out as a bit character literally named "lesbian", after her only notable character trait.)

The Sal, Marcie, Ultra Carla, Malaya posse is achieving dangerous concentrations of attitude.

John Campbell
2014-02-22, 02:53 AM
Hey, Willis referenced me (http://www.ci-n.com/~jcampbel/doafbombcount.html) in today's DoA hovertext (http://www.dumbingofage.com/2014/comic/book-4/02-i-was-a-teenage-churchmouse/temper/)!

(I only gave her 30, because the other 47 were mostly obscured.)

Gez
2014-02-22, 07:11 AM
The Sal, Marcie, Ultra Carla, Malaya posse is achieving dangerous concentrations of attitude.

They need a fifth and they could become power rangers (http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/comic/merry-200th-strip).

John Campbell
2014-02-22, 06:23 PM
They need a fifth and they could become power rangers (http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/comic/merry-200th-strip).

I vote Joyce!

Flickerdart
2014-03-07, 05:49 PM
I thought I understood today's comic, but then I read the title, and then I read the hovertext, and a new degree of comprehension dawned.

Aolbain
2014-08-30, 04:57 PM
http://www.dumbingofage.com/2014/comic/book-4/04-the-whiteboard-dong-bandit/eventually-2/

Substance abuse, depression and codependency, what a wonderful basis for a relationship. :smallfrown:

JadedDM
2014-08-30, 09:59 PM
I believe the appropriate response in a time like this is "Damn you, Willis!"

John Campbell
2014-08-30, 10:52 PM
I figure as long as no one's dead, they're doing better than in the Walkyverse.

Nilehus
2014-08-30, 11:32 PM
Yet...

On the other hand, watching Danny try to come to terms with what he learned about himself is kind of adorable.

Still, DAMN YOU WILLIS!

Mewtarthio
2014-09-13, 07:35 PM
Oh, this should be interesting...

idksocrates
2014-09-15, 02:21 PM

My significant other can taste beer on me for HOURS after I drink just one.

Aolbain
2014-10-11, 04:57 AM
D'awww, this might actually work out