PDA

View Full Version : Help: Creating printable tokens

powerdemon
2013-06-15, 10:32 PM
I've been trying all day to come up with something to let me make tokens using pictures from my PC or the internet and then print them to scale.

I can't get a hold of anything useful so I come to you all for help.

What I want to do is crop a picture to a hex shape (or a large creature on a hex grid (three hexes total)), then print it at the right size that it would fit on my 1" hex map.

Any suggestions?

LokiRagnarok
2013-06-16, 02:06 AM
A regular hexagon is an overlap of three congruent rectangles. I will use this picture (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bb/Logical-hexagon.png) as a reference.

What I would attempt is creating a rectangular layer in your graphic editor of choice to form the the AEOI rectangle. Unless I am mistaken, the dimensions of the rectangle are x on the long side and 1/2x on the short side, with x being the desired width of your hexagon. This is wrong. I think. I am not sure what the 1 inch refer to. Is that from corner to opposite corner or from side to opposite side.

You get a layer copy0. Then I would copy the layer twice getting copy1 and copy2.

Rotate copy1 60 degrees clockwise. You should now have the AUOY rectangle.

Rotate copy2 60 degrees counter-clockwise (or 300 degrees clockwise). You should now have the UEIY rectangle.

Make a union over the three layers. You should now have a hexagonal layer. Which you can fill with stuff. Don't forget to save it before making any further changes, as this will allow you to re-use it.

Of course, I assume I went about this in the most round-about way possible. I hope someone will come along and set me straight. If you don't know right away how to do what I proposed, I suggest waiting for a simpler explanation (as there are multiple ways to make a hexagon). Maybe you can even google up "hexagon layer"+program of your choice to download an existing layer.

atomicpenguin
2013-06-16, 09:39 AM
It just so happens that, several months ago, I was wondering something similar when I found this article (http://newbiedm.com/2010/06/21/making-tokens-for-gametable/). You'll find this out when you read it, but essentially you'll need a freeware program called Tokentool. This will make circular tokens which, while not actually hex-shaped, should operate just fine on a hex map.

powerdemon
2013-06-16, 09:46 AM
I do have TokenTool, and actually have been trying to get a Large hex overlay for that as well, but I can't find anything.

Bulhakov
2013-06-17, 06:03 AM
I was just lazy and used unfilled hexes overlaid on pictures pasted into MS Word.

Nepenthe
2013-06-21, 02:46 PM
Here's a couple Hex Templates (dtwenty.freeforums.org/download/file.php?id=104) I just made for Gimp. Just open the appropriate .xcf file in Gimp, make sure the "Art" Layer is selected when you paste the artwork, then anchor the selection you just pasted. The Border and Fill colors can be quickly changed by selecting their respective layers and using the Bucket Fill Tool (Fill Whole Selection). When you're done just "Export" (or "Save As" depending on your version of Gimp) as a .gif or .png.

P.S. There is also a Path saved to each file if you need it for some reason.

powerdemon
2013-06-22, 04:08 AM
Thanks Nepenthe. I'll give it a shot. I actually have a game tonight.

This looks like exactly what I've been looking for.

How did you make the Hex?

Nepenthe
2013-06-22, 04:59 PM
Thanks Nepenthe. I'll give it a shot. I actually have a game tonight.

This looks like exactly what I've been looking for.

How did you make the Hex?
I basically used LokiRagnarok's method to inscribe a regular hexagon in a 1" diameter circle (that is the right size for a hexgrid, right?), traced that with the Path tool, and set a few layer masks based on the Path.

Let me know how it works out!