PDA

View Full Version : half-orc wizard

Somensjev
2013-06-15, 11:47 PM
ok, well, for the next campain i'm gonna be in i'm planning on playing a chaotic neutral (2e definition of CN) half-orc wizard, and i was wondering if there were any suggestions on what spells to use, feats to take, skills to learn, and items to own

morkendi
2013-06-15, 11:52 PM
Collegiate wizard..... best wizard feat at first lvl. After that, I usually take eschew components.

Runestar
2013-06-16, 12:12 AM
Any reason why you chose half-orc, and any way you intend to play him?

karkus
2013-06-16, 12:58 AM
If it's PF, use your +2 on Int. If it's not PF, I only have two questions;

How
Why

ArcturusV
2013-06-16, 01:07 AM
Well, it's not horrible. I mean you can go with a 16 adjusted to 14 Int, and be perfectly fine for a Wizard.

... the bigger question I have is WHY for the love of all that is good, holy, and right with 3rd edition would you ever want to import the 2nd edition definition of Chaotic Neutral? I mean it's literally "I am incapable of rational thought". You can't play a character like that. Well... you COULD... but you'd cease to be Roleplaying at that point. It'd more or less be having the character on autopilot and say "Oh, I'll roll a d100 to determine what I do this round".

I mean every, single example of Chaotic Neutral in 2nd was "incapable of rational thought"... why? WHY?! :smalltongue:

mabriss lethe
2013-06-16, 01:07 AM
Might I suggest opting for Sorcerer instead, and playing a Desert Half-Orc (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/environmentalRacialVariants.htm#desertHalfOrcs)? You'd get a lot of the same flavor, but potentially more bang for your buck.

Thurbane
2013-06-16, 01:13 AM
Wasn't there a quote floating around by Sean K Reynolds when 3.X first launched saying that "A half-orc wizard is clearly the best character in the game", or something to that effect?

eggynack
2013-06-16, 01:21 AM
Wizards can do anything they want, whether they're chaotic neutral half-orcs or not. I'd go as far as to say that it actually doesn't effect much in terms of the variety of things they're capable of, outside of some corner cases involving certain races. So, the question becomes, what do you want your wizard to do? What is your brain picture that accompanies this wizard in your mind? Does he make illusions all the time, or summon monkeys, or kill things with fire, or shoot grease at stuff? Once you actually know what you want to do, folks can help you with that, but until then you're incredibly likely to get a series of generic answers.

Uncle Pine
2013-06-16, 02:04 AM
My first thought when I read the topic's title (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195049) :smallbiggrin:

Psyren
2013-06-16, 02:07 AM
If it's PF, use your +2 on Int. If it's not PF, I only have two questions;

How
Why

Pretty much this.

Wasn't there a quote floating around by Sean K Reynolds when 3.X first launched saying that "A half-orc wizard is clearly the best character in the game", or something to that effect?

I would dearly love to see that! Though at least in PF they made it a lot more plausible, if still wrong.

Norin
2013-06-16, 08:45 AM
My first thought when I read the topic's title (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195049) :smallbiggrin:

Hahaha, best character ever. :smallbiggrin:

Sutremaine
2013-06-16, 09:53 AM
If it's not PF, I only have two questions;

How
Why

I'm currently in a PbP playing an orc Binder. He's a Binder because I wanted to play the class, and an orc because the eventual PCs were part of an orc tribe.

We got 40pb, and I still ran out of points and ended up with 6 Wis. :smallyuk: It's been fun.

lyko555
2013-06-16, 10:09 AM
there is a feat in the bastards and bloodlines splat book that when taken at first level allows you to change your main casting stat to a different one.
so instead of being int based you can make a strength based wizard and play him like Commander Armstrong

angry_bear
2013-06-16, 10:15 AM
Sounds like a fun challenge... What level are you starting at?

Waker
2013-06-16, 10:16 AM
there is a feat in the bastards and bloodlines splat book that when taken at first level allows you to change your main casting stat to a different one.
so instead of being int based you can make a strength based wizard and play him like Commander Armstrong

Lost Traditions if my memory serves.

karkus
2013-06-16, 01:50 PM
you can go with a 16 adjusted to 14 Int, and be perfectly fine for a Wizard.

This is pretty true, up to mid-high levels. Truth be told, if a Wizard has an Int of at least 15, he naturally has access to any spell he could cast (then again, just getting a simple Headband of Intellect can fix your <15 Int score :smallwink:).

eggynack
2013-06-16, 02:01 PM
This is pretty true, up to mid-high levels. Truth be told, if a Wizard has an Int of at least 15, he naturally has access to any spell he could cast (then again, just getting a simple Headband of Intellect can fix your <15 Int score :smallwink:).
Actually, a wizard can access every spell at the correct levels off of a starting intelligence of twelve. He just needs buy headbands of intelligence when they'd be appropriate. With a starting intelligence of eleven, he has access to all of his spells at every level except for three, though he can get past that if he uses nearly all of his wealth by level to craft a +2 headband. It's certainly not something I'd assume though.

DMVerdandi
2013-06-16, 02:01 PM
Using smiting spell and touch of idiocy.

"Look who's stupid now! * keeps smashing heads*"
Possibly try to make it into a gish if you can.

Possibly take a level of spirit totem barbarian to start off to get pounce and a nice fat hit dice, as well as some of the proficiencies needed to take abjurant champion.
It will take a couple of levels to actually turn on, but it should be alright.

wizard 5/Barbarian 1/Eldritch Knight 4/Raumathari Battlemage 10
You will need to pick up practiced spellcaster as well.
This is a little feat intensive, but it's pretty good.
You might want to pick up spontaneous divination with the wizard as well.

By the end, if I calculated this right, you get 16 bab, some cool abilities, 9th level spellcasting, and the ability to use free metamagic 5 times a day. It's decent.

Somensjev
2013-06-19, 05:32 AM
i want to be a generalist, as over-powered as possible, while still playable. i'm starting at lvl 1. and i want to be just a wizard

Psyren
2013-06-19, 09:40 AM
i want to be a generalist, as over-powered as possible, while still playable. i'm starting at lvl 1. and i want to be just a wizard

You still need to answer the main question - 3.5 or Pathfinder?

Fouredged Sword
2013-06-19, 11:33 AM
Well, you may as well put your good strength and con to good use. Make a gish with one level of fighter and spellsword, and full levels of abjurant champion.

You are self buffing, so start with an int of 11, put the fighter level at 3rd level to delay second level spells to 4th level (and getting the stat boost to allow them).

Focus on spells that have attack rolls rather than saves, and one spells to buff yourself rather than debuff.

Somensjev
2013-06-19, 04:04 PM
You still need to answer the main question - 3.5 or Pathfinder?

entirely forgot that, it's 3.5

RFLS
2013-06-19, 04:19 PM

I would love to see that... Although I'm completely willing to believe that it's true already.

Bakkan
2013-06-19, 04:55 PM
Not the most optimized, but if you want some random chaos, consider taking Precocious Apprentice (Scorching ray or similar) and Fiery Burst. Starting at level 1, throw miniature fireballs all day! Hilarity ensures! Make sure you play up the dumb Half-orc look so no-one suspects you're responsible for the carnage.