PDA

View Full Version : Need some Win 8 help

Starwulf
2013-06-15, 11:49 PM
Ok, so, my mom recently went out and bought a laptop as her first computer(against my suggestions of just buying a cheap desktop). ON top of that, it came pre-loaded with windows 8. Neither of us can figure out how to access the start-up menu(she didn't even know what that meant, she was just complaining she couldn't play solitaire). So, how do I access the start-up menu/how do I permanently change the settings so that it shows a start-up menu at all times. Windows 8 is not 74 year old lady who has never touched a computer in her life friendly, and it's only slightly more friendly to someone like me, who has never touched a tablet in their life, and is quite happy with the traditional interface of Win2k/XP/07.

Also, does anyone here know anything about "BigFish" games site? I signed my mom up for an account, and bought a game that she wanted, and clicked on the simple link that it told me to click on to download, but absolutely nothing happened. Further clicks still did nothing, and after the irritation of not being able to find the start-up menu, I'm literally at the last vestige of my patience here.

P.S. I've googled the Win 8 start menu, and have seen several sites telling me to download this or that to fix it, but I'd rather not trust some random site telling me to download it's product, hence why I'm asking here. I"ll trust fellow forum members on how to fix this issue, long before I'll trust a random site.

Edit: This question/issue has been fixed by the help of a poster on another forum that I posted on(bethsoft). Requesting a lock.

Flickerdart
2013-06-16, 12:40 AM
There is no start menu.

To get to Solitaire, hit the Windows key, click on Games (or type in Games), then click Microsoft Solitaire (you may have to sign in first with the account you associated with the computer during first-time setup).

Avilan the Grey
2013-06-16, 01:48 PM
You don't have to press the windows key, place the pointer in the bottom left corner and you get the "start screen".

Rawhide
2013-06-16, 07:31 PM
First rule of Windows 8 is that there is no start menu. The second rule is that there is no start menu.

If you still want a start menu, I highly recommend Classic Shell (http://www.classicshell.net). It's free, open source, and really good. This is what I use.

Flickerdart
2013-06-16, 08:09 PM
Apparently they are bringing the start menu back in the upcoming service pack, though.

factotum
2013-06-17, 02:27 AM
Apparently they are bringing the start menu back in the upcoming service pack, though.

No, they're not. All they're doing is putting a button on the desktop taskbar that does exactly the same as pressing the Windows key does now--e.g. take you back to the tiles. They're not reintroducing any sort of menu.

Avilan the Grey
2013-06-17, 02:28 AM
My only problem with Classic Shell is that it annoys my sense of style. I like its functionality very much but there is no distinct W8 option on the design, so the Start Menu has rounded corners.

Yes, I am pathetic. I uninstalled it. I do however recommend it to people less nuts than me.

As for bringing the start menu back.. the latest rumor is actually NO. They will put in a Start BUTTON, but it will only bring up the start screen.

Elder Tsofu
2013-06-17, 05:12 AM
... a start-button. If it does nothing else than dragging the pointer to the bottom left corner already does I can't really see the use?
I'll just assume they will, by a stroke of genius, put it in the bottom left corner?
---
When I got my new computer with Win8 I had a through non-skipable "Win8 basics" course during initial setup of the computer that explained the most basic commands as well as a physical folder in the box - is this an oddity?
I'm just curious.

AMX
2013-06-17, 05:24 AM
My only problem with Classic Shell is that it annoys my sense of style. I like its functionality very much but there is no distinct W8 option on the design, so the Start Menu has rounded corners.

Yes, I am pathetic. I uninstalled it. I do however recommend it to people less nuts than me.

The corners are configured by the Skin, rather than the Style.
The "Classic" and "Metro" skins have sharp corners.

Avilan the Grey
2013-06-17, 06:02 AM
The corners are configured by the Skin, rather than the Style.
The "Classic" and "Metro" skins have sharp corners.

Really? Hmm...

Rawhide
2013-06-17, 06:56 AM

As for bringing the start menu back.. the latest rumor is actually NO. They will put in a Start BUTTON, but it will only bring up the start screen.

Yes, it does. I'm using what is called "Metro". It looks like a smallified Start Screen in colours and style.

Flickerdart
2013-06-17, 08:20 AM
When I got my new computer with Win8 I had a through non-skipable "Win8 basics" course during initial setup of the computer that explained the most basic commands as well as a physical folder in the box - is this an oddity?
I'm just curious.
Even when you're forced to read the manual, people will find a way to ignore it.

Killer Angel
2013-06-17, 03:44 PM
Even when you're forced to read the manual, people will find a way to ignore it.

Yes, but it avoids legal issues for the Company, if it's printed! :smalltongue:

Starwulf
2013-06-17, 03:45 PM

Especially a 74 year old woman ^^

Though to be fair, it was one she bought from Best Buy or somewhere, and already had everything pre-installed and set-up ready to go, so that crap was probably skipped anyways before she got it.

Avilan the Grey
2013-06-18, 01:38 AM
Especially a 74 year old woman ^^

Though to be fair, it was one she bought from Best Buy or somewhere, and already had everything pre-installed and set-up ready to go, so that crap was probably skipped anyways before she got it.

Probably,
although the computer I bought from there had the standard "fill in your name, pick your wallpaper and watch this instruction video" intro that most have. It was two years ago so it was Win7, but anyway.

KuReshtin
2013-06-18, 09:16 AM
Oh, how I would like the downgrade option to get Win7 instead of Win8 on my laptop.

I will have to check out the Classic skin that Rawhide mentioned. Maybe that will alleviate my annoyance with Win8.

Rawhide
2013-06-18, 09:45 AM
Oh, how I would like the downgrade option to get Win7 instead of Win8 on my laptop.

I will have to check out the Classic skin that Rawhide mentioned. Maybe that will alleviate my annoyance with Win8.

Did your laptop come with the "Pro" version? (http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/downgrade_rights.aspx)