PDA

View Full Version : Factotum Weapon Choice

Alokue
2013-06-16, 12:42 AM
What are strong weapon choices for the factotum? I have searched online and most everyone seems to assume Iaijutsu Style is on the board, even though it seems like a really silly skill from a really outlandish book. If it is NOT allowed, what do my strong weapon choices look like? I have 14 dex and 10 strength. Please do not tell me to change these stats -- I am playing a character-oriented game. I just want to know what weapon this character might pick up and be good with. I'd rather not spend a feat on my weapon. I am aware of feycraft and I'll probably build my weapon with it.

Gildedragon
2013-06-16, 12:46 AM
Shurikens
What, shenanigans not allowed?
Feycraft Kusari-Gama then, or a halberd

Madcrafter
2013-06-16, 12:47 AM
Greatsword for melee, longbow for ranged. Nothing could possibly go wrong if you stay with the classics.

Or yeah, you could do fancy stuff with reach and things...

Gildedragon
2013-06-16, 01:19 AM
greatsword with 10 str isn't the best choise. ya want something finessable. If reach isn't a concern: shortsword and daggers or a rapier.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-06-16, 01:28 AM
Something with reach, such as a Glaive, with Combat Reflexes.

An Elvencraft Composite Longbow from Races of the Wild, which can function as a quarterstaff. You have to pay for masterwork three times, for the bow portion and each staff end, and for magic enchanting three times as well, but it can function as both a ranged and a melee weapon.

Madcrafter
2013-06-16, 01:54 AM
greatsword with 10 str isn't the best choise. ya want something finessable. If reach isn't a concern: shortsword and daggers or a rapier.

Who needs finesse when you have... inspiration?
And yes, I realize both together works too.

Jeff the Green
2013-06-16, 02:02 AM
Feycraft Kusari-Gama then, or a halberd

I don't think that works, since kusari-gamas aren't actually light weapons.

Nevermind, I didn't think to look in the DMG until I posted.

However, note that feycraft weapons are always cold iron, which means they cost more to enchant. I'd go for ranged combat if you don't want to spend a feat on Weapon Finesse.

JaronK
2013-06-16, 02:05 AM
Feycraft Kukris should get the job nicely, for the free weapon finesse.

JaronK

Gildedragon
2013-06-16, 02:07 AM
DMG pg145
Light Melee Weapons: Kusari-gama

Edit: I see you found it by yourself.

Yes note that feycraft is cold iron; which can be a pain for boosting enchantments. Consider the possibility of using a dragonshard pommel.

Seharvepernfan
2013-06-16, 04:49 AM
My personal favorites are halberds and bolas/whips via quick draw. Your disarm/trips should be pretty high with brains over brawn and inspiration.

Alleran
2013-06-16, 04:53 AM
Get a pile of ranks in Iaijitsu Focus, then take a weapon proficiency in the gnomish quickrazor.

Seharvepernfan
2013-06-16, 04:55 AM
and most everyone seems to assume Iaijutsu Style is on the board, even though it seems like a really silly skill from a really outlandish book. If it is NOT allowed, what do my strong weapon choices look like?

Get a pile of ranks in Iaijitsu Focus, then take a weapon proficiency in the gnomish quickrazor.

:smallsigh:

Alleran
2013-06-16, 04:59 AM
:smallsigh:
I noticed approximately two minutes after I posted. Off to clean the egg, don't mind me.

Jeff the Green
2013-06-16, 05:26 AM
DMG pg145
Light Melee Weapons: Kusari-gama

Edit: I see you found it by yourself.

Yes note that feycraft is cold iron; which can be a pain for boosting enchantments. Consider the possibility of using a dragonshard pommel.

I've not been able to entirely make sense of it, though. Does each enchantment cost an additional 2,000 (so making it +5 would cost an additional 10,000), or is it just that it costs 2,000 to make it magic and then you add enchantments as normal?

Gildedragon
2013-06-16, 05:31 AM
Not the clearest wording.
Askin your DM might be advised.
I presume it means each ability costs an extra 2000. So making it +1 is 4000, +2 costs an extra 8000, +3 an extra 1200 etc...

Jeff the Green
2013-06-16, 05:37 AM
Not the clearest wording.
Askin your DM might be advised.
I presume it means each ability costs an extra 2000. So making it +1 is 4000, +2 costs an extra 8000, +3 an extra 1200 etc...

That does seem to result in the odd fact that making a MW weapon +5 costs an additional 2000, while doing it step-by-step costs an additional 10,000.

TuggyNE
2013-06-16, 05:47 AM
I've not been able to entirely make sense of it, though. Does each enchantment cost an additional 2,000 (so making it +5 would cost an additional 10,000), or is it just that it costs 2,000 to make it magic and then you add enchantments as normal?

It's not entirely clear, I think; up to the strictness of the DM.

Jeff the Green
2013-06-16, 05:51 AM
It's not entirely clear, I think; up to the strictness of the DM.

Hmmm. Well, if your DM says it's a one-time 2,000 GP, go for a feycraft kusari-gama, shortsword, handaxe, or kukri. If kusari gama, grab Improved Trip. If kukri, maybe pick up Martial Study (tiger claw maneuver) and Martial Stance (Blood in the Water).

Chronos
2013-06-16, 06:12 AM
I would definitely go with some sort of disarming and/or tripping weapon, due to the Brains over Brawn bonus. Scythe is a good choice in general: It's a two-handed weapon with (one of) the best crits you can get, which does two different damage types, and which can be used for trips.

Also get a longbow, of course. I've seen too many fighters end up totally helpless just because a foe is airborne. Even if you're not as good at it as melee, you'll at least have something to do.

And I would rule that the cold iron extra cost is one-time-only, since it makes no sense for the cost of an identical weapon to depend on how it was made. Also note that cold iron is almost free if you don't plan to enchant it, so there's no reason not to make all of your normal arrows (or sling bullets, if that's your thing) cold iron.

Piggy Knowles
2013-06-16, 11:17 AM
My thoughts would be...

1. Longbow/crossbow for a primary weapon.
2. Feycraft kukri for melee.
3. Nets, including razor nets, because you can easily eat the -4 penalty for nonproficiency since it's a touch attack.
4. Scythe for coup de gras.

Daftendirekt
2013-06-16, 11:22 AM
Please for the love of **** do not use the DMG version of the kusarigama. It is NOT a one-handed weapon. Just try and picture using this:

http://museum.hikari.us/weapons/slides/kusarigama1.jpg

one-handed. Use the Oriental Adventures version, please!

SciChronic
2013-06-16, 11:26 AM
the OA version of Kusari-gama is definitely more logic oriented. Double weapon at 5tf, reach at 10ft. That said in OA it says you can still TWF with 2 of them for 10ft reach TWF.

Also, when to comes to ranged, why use a Xbow when composite longbows exist? especially for factotums who will be burning at least 3 feats minimum into Font of Inspiration.