PDA

View Full Version : [PF]Eidolon Evolutions

BeserkerNike
2013-06-16, 06:40 AM
I am currently a 9th level summoner and i am not sure what evolutions for my Eidolon.He has 19 Evolution points (13 from levels + 2 Half Elf Racial Subtype + 4 (Extra Evolution x2 homebrew rule).The Eidolons Base for is Quad
Here is a list of its current evolutions:
1)Improved Natural Armor x2 (1)
2)Bite (1)
3)Claws (1)
4)Large (4)
5)Improved Natural Attack (Bite) (1)
6)Mount (1)
7)Reach (1)
8)Magic Attacks (1)
9)Ability Increase (2) x2
10)Pounce (1)
11)Spell Resistance (4)
12)Claws (1)

ZeroGear
2013-06-16, 06:45 AM
If you could, would you list the bonus evolutions separately so people know how many points you have available? Not everyone has the base form evolutions memorized.

Barstro
2013-06-16, 03:51 PM
Well, the Eidolon has all 19 evolution points available.

the summoner can change them whenever he gains a level

Do you want to keep going with multiple natural attacks? Do you want to give single attacks a try? Or weapons?

Unless someone rides the Eidolon a lot, I would think getting rid of mount and gaining the points for other use would be beneficial.

If you are going with multiple claw attacks, I think Rake would be the best thing you are currently missing.

Grarrrg will surely find this topic and reply at some point.

BeserkerNike
2013-06-17, 09:36 AM
Well, the Eidolon has all 19 evolution points available.

Do you want to keep going with multiple natural attacks? Do you want to give single attacks a try? Or weapons?

Unless someone rides the Eidolon a lot, I would think getting rid of mount and gaining the points for other use would be beneficial.

If you are going with multiple claw attacks, I think Rake would be the best thing you are currently missing.

I am trying to go with multiple natural attacks
My eidolon currently has 1xBite attack and 4xClaw attacks
There is somebody riding the eidolon thats my character
I thought about it and i will most probably take the Rend evolution at the next level and at 13th level the Huge Evolution

Barstro
2013-06-17, 10:38 AM
I thought about it and i will most probably take the Rend evolution at the next level

Oops, that's what I meant anyway. Good call.

edit: Stupid words of the same length beginning with the same letter.

WildPyre
2013-06-17, 10:53 AM
There is one issue I see here though. You have the claws evolution twise on a quad Eidolon without having given it more limbs. Regardless of how many legs it has you can only apply the claws evolution to legs once. If you want to take the claws evolution a second time it requires arms.

BeserkerNike
2013-06-17, 10:58 AM
There is one issue I see here though. You have the claws evolution twise on a quad Eidolon without having given it more limbs. Regardless of how many legs it has you can only apply the claws evolution to legs once. If you want to take the claws evolution a second time it requires arms.

Claws (Ex)

An eidolon has a pair of vicious claws at the end of its limbs, giving it two claw attacks. These attacks are primary attacks. The claws deal 1d4 points of damage (1d6 if Large, 1d8 if Huge). The eidolon must have the limbs evolution to take this evolution. This evolution can only be applied to the limbs (legs) evolution once This evolution can be selected more than once, but the eidolon must possess an equal number of the limbs evolution

Quadruped

Starting Statistics

Size Medium; Speed 40 ft.; AC +2 natural armor; Saves Fort (good), Ref (good), Will (bad); Attack bite (1d6); Ability Scores Str 14, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 7, Wis 10, Cha 11

Free Evolutions

bite, limbs (legs) (2)

Reverent-One
2013-06-17, 11:04 AM
Claws (Ex)

An eidolon has a pair of vicious claws at the end of its limbs, giving it two claw attacks. These attacks are primary attacks. The claws deal 1d4 points of damage (1d6 if Large, 1d8 if Huge). The eidolon must have the limbs evolution to take this evolution. This evolution can only be applied to the limbs (legs) evolution once This evolution can be selected more than once, but the eidolon must possess an equal number of the limbs evolution

Quadruped

Starting Statistics

Size Medium; Speed 40 ft.; AC +2 natural armor; Saves Fort (good), Ref (good), Will (bad); Attack bite (1d6); Ability Scores Str 14, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 7, Wis 10, Cha 11

Free Evolutions

bite, limbs (legs) (2)

Underlined the relevant section WildPyre is referring to. So you can give claws to one set of the legs, then need to get arms before getting another set.

EDIT: Wait, or are you saying you only bought the evolution once, and thus have two claws? Because yeah, that's legit.

BeserkerNike
2013-06-17, 11:06 AM
Underlined the relevant section WildPyre is referring to. So you can give claws to one set of the legs, then need to get arms before getting another set.

EDIT: Wait, or are you saying you only bought the evolution once, and thus have two claws? Because yeah, that's legit.
The Quad for has limbs (legs) evolution twice
and one legs evolution grants you 2 legs

Reverent-One
2013-06-17, 11:09 AM
The Quad for has limbs (legs) evolution twice
and one legs evolution grants you 2 legs

Right, but you can't give claws to more than one set of limbs (legs). So you buy a claws evolution and it gives you two claw attacks on one set of the legs. After that you need to buy a limbs (arms) evolution for more.

WildPyre
2013-06-17, 11:10 AM
Right, one claw evolution gives two claw attacks. I'm not arguing this.

You have "3)Claws (1) x2" as if you've taken it twice. I may be misunderstanding it. Perhaps the x2 is for how many attacks it gives, but I don't see the point in listing that the way you have.

BeserkerNike
2013-06-17, 11:49 AM
Right, one claw evolution gives two claw attacks. I'm not arguing this.

You have "3)Claws (1) x2" as if you've taken it twice. I may be misunderstanding it. Perhaps the x2 is for how many attacks it gives, but I don't see the point in listing that the way you have.
the x2 means i have taken that evolution twice
My eidolon has 2 Legs evolutions for the start so it means it has 4 limbs and one claw evolution gives 2 claw attacks so if i take the claw evolution twice.Every limb will have one claw evolution

and in the claws evolution it says:
This evolution can be selected more than once, but the eidolon must possess an equal number of the limbs evolution

Barstro
2013-06-17, 12:28 PM
My eidolon has 2 Legs evolutions for the start so it means it has 4 limbs and one claw evolution gives 2 claw attacks so if i take the claw evolution twice.Every limb will have one claw evolution

This evolution can be selected more than once, but the eidolon must possess an equal number of the limbs evolution

Oh, let's go ahead and clarify this;

Desiring Four Claw Attacks
1)
Base
Limbs (Legs)
Limbs (Legs #2)
Evolutions
Claw (Legs)
Limbs (Arms)
Claw (Arms)
LEGAL

2)
Base
Limbs (Legs)
Limbs (Legs)
Evolutions
Claw (Legs)
Claw (Legs #2)
ILLEGAL

This evolution can only be applied to the limbs (legs) evolution once
Even if you make a giant millipede, you can only have the claw attack on one set of legs (two attacks).

If the quote did not mean that, then the wording would have been "This evolution can only be applied to the limbs evolution once" and not specified (legs).

Legs have their own inherent bonuses (I believe resistance to Trip and increased speed). Without the above rule, nobody would get the Limbs(arms) evolution beyond one pair to cast spells or hold objects.

Edit: Further explanation;
You need at least an many limb evolutions as you have claw evolutions, but you can still only ever use one limb(legs) evoution to count towards that total.

I did notice that no suggested build on the SRD involves more than one Claws evolution, so it's hard to give an example.

The Summoner Guide by Saph gives an example of the Pouncer and Centaur having Claws on Legs1, and then an arms evolution with Claw on Arms1. Player erik542 submitted a Kitty build that I think incorrectly has claws on several sets of legs.

Hell, whatever your DM allows.

WildPyre
2013-06-17, 01:06 PM

You're not reading the line right before that. Claws can only be applied to the limbs (legs) evolution once. Even though you have 2 sets of legs, only one set of legs can have the claws evolution applied.

grarrrg
2013-06-17, 09:19 PM

You rang? (sorry, been busy the last couple days).

You're not reading the line right before that. Claws can only be applied to the limbs (legs) evolution once. Even though you have 2 sets of legs, only one set of legs can have the claws evolution applied.

He could put Hooves on the 'back set' of Legs (again, only on Legs once).
So he could have Bite, Clawsx2 and Hoovesx2 (thats "x2" attacks, not "x2" take it twice), for the level 9 max of 5 Natural Attacks.
Hooves are Secondary, but still only do the same damage as Claws. And level 9 gives Multiattack feat free, so Secondaries only have a -2 penalty to-hit (instead of -5).

Also, your original build is at 21 points, so lets fix that as well, shall we?

Base form Freebies:
Bite
Limbs (Legs)x2.

1)Improved Natural Armor (1)
2)Bite (1) (if taken a 2nd time, adds and extra +1/2 STR to damage)
3)Claws (1)
4)Large (4)
5)Mount (1)
6)Reach (1) (presumably Bite)
7)Magic Attacks (1)
8)Ability Increase x2 (2ea, 4 total, presumably applied to STR)
9)Pounce (1)
10)Spell Resistance (4)
11)Hooves (1)

That's 20 points, so we still need to cut something.

I would either drop the Hooves, and just work with the Bite/Claws.
OR
Drop Spell Resistance, and with the point savings, pick up Energy Attacks for an extra 1d6 damage on each attack, and then add back on the 2nd Imp. Natural Armor.