PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me an anime! Let's put a smile on that face

Morph Bark
2013-06-16, 12:36 PM
With being under pressure for preparations for next weekend, as well as life in general (searching for a job, searching for an education, etc), I find myself wanting to watch something upbeat. Preferably nothing too cliche, action factor anywhere from 1 to 9, good story being preferred and certainly an incredible bonus.

The only anime I'm really following currently is Shingeki no Kyojin, and that one is clearly too dark for this purpose. I like the show, but for other reasons.

Anime I followed a few months ago and just suddenly quit because I stopped watching them in general for a while (which happens sometimes) included Magi and Zetsuen no Tempest. Magi feels a bit too off for me to start on again now, so that's not on the list.

Any recommendations?

Hopeless
2013-06-16, 12:55 PM
Kenichi, Histories Greatest Disciple a martial arts anime with tongue in cheek?

Tenchi Muyo, any of them although the movies tend to be a little darker,

Fairy Tail, martial arts wizards far east style tend towards comedy, action and tongue in cheek comedy... not sure if there's a restriction on suggestions though?

CynicalAvocado
2013-06-16, 01:35 PM
cowboy bebop and FLCL are pretty good shows, i was about to suggest trigun but it's kind of cheesy, to be truthful

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-06-16, 01:36 PM
Well, for an upbeat action anime, I would wholeheartedly recommend Tengen Toppa--

*glances at your avatar*

Oh. Nevermind. Looks like you're covered.

Magi (presuming you mean Puella Magi Madoka Magica) is definitely not the show you're looking for if you want an upper. Even if it is rock-solid amazing.

Darn, this is challenging. "Moody, gloomy, introspective, dark" are practically my criteria for most of the shows that I enjoy. "Upbeat show" puts a monkey wrench in most of my recommendations.

Man, am I really that much of a depressing person? XD

Well, wait. I might have two.

Baccano! is a weird one. It's violent, bloody, absolutely outrageous at times, all set to the peppiest big band music around (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Msg8ypnLqaw).

Angel Beats! is very emotion-heavy, but it's a really uplifting show, in my opinion. And with lots of action and gags along the way. I wouldn't say that it gets tragic, but it does go for the heavy emotional catharsis. And I personally find it to be really beautiful and/or inspiring, depending on my mood.

Also, if you haven't already seen Trigun, do so. It's fun. Maybe a little old, but still really solid. (Though it takes a turn for the serious towards the end--it's this interesting blend of goofy and serious that rather reflects the main character too.)

Narkis
2013-06-16, 02:11 PM
One Piece is a really good, fairly upbeat anime, though it is somewhat cliche at times and it's really, really long.

Avatar: the last Airbender is also really good, and it satisfies all your criteria. It isn't an anime though, but a western animation inspired by the anime aesthetic.

And I'll second Fairy Tail. It's not as good as the above, imho, but it's still pretty damn good.

Morph Bark
2013-06-16, 02:13 PM
Fairy Tail, martial arts wizards far east style tend towards comedy, action and tongue in cheek comedy... not sure if there's a restriction on suggestions though?

cowboy bebop and FLCL are pretty good shows, i was about to suggest trigun but it's kind of cheesy, to be truthful

Preferably short series (the 20-26 episode kind) at the moment, ones that I could conceivably finish in four days (or at least get halfway if I do it the sane way). Trigun and Cowboy Bebop I've always thought about starting, but I feel like I really should watch them dubbed rather than subbed. Haven't found that anywhere though.

Well, for an upbeat action anime, I would wholeheartedly recommend Tengen Toppa--

*glances at your avatar*

Oh. Nevermind. Looks like you're covered.

:smallbiggrin: Yeah, and if I hadn't seen the movies yet, now woulda been a great time, too.

For Magi, I meant Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic. Madoka is one that is on my list, but I figured I'd put that one (along with the Naku Koro Ni batch) off 'til later. Many shows that are on the darker end are very good, but not what I'm currently looking for (but if there are any must-sees, feel free to share so I can at least mark them for later :smalltongue:).

Baccano might be a good idea. I've seen Durarara and it captivated me, even though you don't realize how good the plot is until the reveal in the final episode and most characters (but definitely not all) are pretty standard fare.

Hm, perhaps it might be good to draw a line where exactly I think upbeat borders gloomy? I know a lot of people thought Code Geass was gloomy, but I found it uplifting even in the final stages. (Well, except that final episode, of course. Man.) I'm not that big on mecha anime though, Code Geass and TTGL I both really liked, but they're more the exception than the rule.

Gnoman
2013-06-16, 02:18 PM
Have you considered Sgt. Frog? The localization team did an excellent job of preserving the humor, (although localizing the names would have preserved a few more of the original jokes, from what I've read of the Manga and seen of the dubbed anime).

It's a gag series about inept aliens that are supposed to be conquering the planet earth and the humans that they live with.

Tengu_temp
2013-06-16, 02:19 PM
Are you looking for an ongoing show or one that's already finished? What other shows that might fit the bill have you already seen?

Magi (presuming you mean Puella Magi Madoka Magica) is definitely not the show you're looking for if you want an upper. Even if it is rock-solid amazing.

Wrong:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magi:_The_Labyrinth_of_Magic
Ten seconds in Google.

Magatsu Izanagi
2013-06-16, 02:29 PM
If mecha aren't quite your thing, how about tanks? Girls und Panzer fits most of the criteria laid out: Short series (twelve episodes, to be precise), generally light-hearted and upbeat tone all throughout, and lots of action.

Tengu_temp
2013-06-16, 02:31 PM
GuP revels in its cliches rather than trying to avoid them, though. It's a sports anime about a very weird sport. But other than that, yes, I'd recommend it.

MOLOKH
2013-06-16, 03:16 PM
Photon: The Idiot Adventures is a neat little 6-episode OVA that will have you clutching your sides from start to finish.

Terraoblivion
2013-06-16, 04:24 PM
Girls und Panzer sounds like a rather good call. Even reveling in its clichés its execution is really good. Not just that, it does a number of amusing things that certainly aren't cliché. Mostly, though, it just has likable, amusing characters, sells the underdog sports story really well and has tank matches that manages to be among the best action scenes in anime in general.

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-06-16, 05:20 PM
Baccano might be a good idea. I've seen Durarara and it captivated me, even though you don't realize how good the plot is until the reveal in the final episode and most characters (but definitely not all) are pretty standard fare.

Baccano! blows the socks off Durarara!!, in my opinion. I like the characters a huge amount better; they're a much more eccentric cast. The plot does tend to careen everywhere, but it's fun to keep track of the various threads--and really, there's only three threads that wind up overlapping and converging. It's sorta like DRRR!! in that regard, except that instead of everything converging on the final episode, you get a lot of reveals throughout, connecting plot bits. Then you have one final reveal in episode 13 that ties all the loose ends together in a fun, hectic way. This is followed by three OVA episodes that give a sub-arc set after most of the events of the prior 13 episodes, introducing a new character and having much goodness.

(Also, there's several loving cameos to Baccano! in the Durarara!! show. The Dollars' password, for instance.)

It's also 16 episodes long, so there's that too.

WitchSlayer
2013-06-16, 09:57 PM
Jojo's bizarre adventure!

jseah
2013-06-16, 10:53 PM
Since you say action anywhere from 1-9, so I'm going to take the heretical path and suggest non-action stuff since everyone else has covered the others.

If you want something to cheer you up and isn't too heavy on the grey matter, there's always any of the slice of life genre (which is really 3-4 girls get together and do everyday stuff). The downside is that plot doesn't exist in this kind of series. K-ON is the poster girl for this genre and Yuyushiki this season is insanely hilarious.

For something more meaningful, you can try Humanity Has Declined (aka. Jinrui Wa Suitai Shima****a - gods, why does the forum censor this, it starts with 's'). Absolutely thigh-slapping hilarity, mixed with bouts of wtf-inducing, and a wittiness and unforgiving parody so sharp you can cut diamonds. If nothing else, WATCH THIS.

A more heartwarming and incredibly good series I would recommend is Usagi Drop (aka. Rabbit Drop). Get past the start and it's quite upbeat and cheerful, but retains its theme of parental love.

For the more weird sort of humour, Nichijou also works quite well. If you prefer sitcom style hijinks instead, Minami-ke might be a good try (season 1 at least).

If you prefer a quieter and more introspective (but still upbeat) tone, there is Sketchbook ~Full Colors~ which I would highly recommend to anyone. Tamayura is more along the same style, but I found it too... sleepy... *yawn*. A peppier version of Sketchbook is GA Art Design Class.

For those leaning more towards the dark side, there is Hidamari Sketch.
Wait, let me explain what I mean by dark side. Sunshine Sketch is not at all dark, it's cheerful to the point of giving you diabetes but it has very little in the way of plot and at times, it is even short on comedy. Essentially, imo, it's major selling point is the characters doing cute things.
I love it, but YMMV. Especially since I consider Hidamari Sketch a gateway to the darker side due to the kind of impulses I feel it encourages, if only barely.

Further along this vein, there is OreImo (full: Ore no Imouto Konnani Kawaii Wake Ga Nai). Unlike what the title implies, it's actually quite the fun and meaningful story of two siblings helping each other out with growing up issues. Fair warning though, OreImo is full of jokes for the more hardcore and it brushes up against issues that non-fans might find objectionable.

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-06-16, 11:59 PM
I saw two random episodes of Humanity Has Declined, and witnessed the rise and fall of two different fairy civilizations.

That's flippin' hysterical to me. I may have to watch the rest.

Fri
2013-06-17, 01:37 AM
From the past few season, I can recommend Level E.

It's a sci-fi/comedy about an alien who crash landed on earth, and decides to crash on a random guy's apartment. That's all I can say about it without spoiling it. It's really not as what it appears from the first episode. As like PMMM, watch the first three episodes first.

TSGames
2013-06-17, 04:29 AM
There's been a lot of good suggestions so far. But I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you've seen the classics like Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Beebop, and maybe even Baccano!

I'm going to recommend something a little more...mature. Hunter x Hunter (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=13262). You'll notice the rating is phenomenal and the description is terribly vague; I find this to usually be a good indicator of a quality anime, and this one did not disappoint. You wanted upbeat? Sure, it will start that as young man's adventure to find and follow in his father's footsteps. However, it soon changes tune when Gon encounters the Hunter Exam a test to become one of the world's elite called "hunters". These are people who can go into any country, undertake a variety of insane and impossible tasks, or sometimes engage in dubious practices; and the exam? A weeding out course where it is fully acceptable for candidates to die (and many of them will). Meanwhile, Gon meets interesting characters such as a young assassin, the last survivor of a clan on a brutal quest for revenge, and a magician (clown?) who takes the hunter exam every year, not to pass, but just because he likes killing people that much.

And that's only the start, sans a lot of spoilers. Each season is better for than the last, and it's got enough to keep you occupied for a good while. I cannot recommend it enough if you are looking for an anime that is generally upbeat, less censored, and more mature than most shonen.
[EDIT]
Just saw your four days request XD

In that case....
I will suggest something completely different. Louie the Runesoldier (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=895). A comedic, but surprisingly touching (on occasion) anime about a mage who isn't terribly good at what he does. Only 24 episodes; it's hard not feel good after watching the series.

Kato
2013-06-17, 04:50 AM
I'll drop in Full Metal Panic's midquel Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu just for the amount of crazy weirdness. (Well, not nearly as weird as other shows but still) It basically rests on the premise of the original show, a child soldier is send to an ordinary (Japanese) Highschool to protect a girl and applies his military training to everyday life. (Well, that's not really an accurate description but close enough)

And also because it was recently brought up elsewhere and I feel it gets entirely too little love: Dai-Guard.. Office Workers piloting a giant robot. (Paying for collateral damage and teaching us why drills are NOT an awesome weapon.)

I could agree on most other things which have already been said.

Friv
2013-06-17, 09:15 AM
I'm just going to yell Princess Jellyfish over and over and over.

The action rating is closer to 0 than to 1, to be fair, but it is one of the best anime I've ever watched, and somehow no one's recommended it yet. Also, Funimation has helpfully put most of it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QxT37FJ5K0) on Youtube for free.

Infernally Clay
2013-06-17, 10:01 AM
If you want something upbeat and still running, I'd suggest Hatakaru no Maou-sama. Basically it's about an evil demonic overlord who gets transported to modern Japan. It's very slice of life with him having to adjust to a "normal" life, even getting a job at McDonalds, but there are supernatural elements and the whole thing is tongue-in-cheek and surreal.

Cen
2013-06-17, 10:29 AM
My 2 cents:
Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenchi_Muyo!_Ryo-Ohki) lightheartened comedy/romance with some space opera in it.

Dokuro-chan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bludgeoning_Angel_Dokuro-Chan) it's a liiiitle bit gore, but I peed myself laughing. Seiously, it funniest thing I've seen, though a bit random.

CynicalAvocado
2013-06-17, 11:42 AM
Preferably short series (the 20-26 episode kind) at the moment, ones that I could conceivably finish in four days (or at least get halfway if I do it the sane way). Trigun and Cowboy Bebop I've always thought about starting, but I feel like I really should watch them dubbed rather than subbed. Haven't found that anywhere though.

IIRC, flcl is pretty short (6 episodes)

and trigun is dubbed on netflix, if you have that

Fri
2013-06-17, 04:18 PM
Level E is 13 episodes.

Radar
2013-06-18, 11:41 AM
I'd recommend Slayers, but it's main premise was to gather all fantasy RPG cliches and make an action-comedy out of them. It is however very upbeat and fairly well made. In a way it does to D&D the same thing Galaxy Quest did to Star Trek.

If movies are also an option, then My Neighbour Totoro is definately worth watching - one of the best Ghibli productions (they made the title character their company logo for a reason).

Now if crazy shows are an option, then I've heard that Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo! is considered a really good show. It is a spoof to the Fist of The North Star mixed with loads of really unusual ideas of it's own.

Carry2
2013-06-18, 11:55 AM
...I find myself wanting to watch something upbeat. Preferably nothing too cliche, action factor anywhere from 1 to 9, good story being preferred and certainly an incredible bonus.

The only anime I'm really following currently is Shingeki no Kyojin, and that one is clearly too dark for this purpose. I like the show, but for other reasons.

There's essentially no action involved, but I found Bunny Drop to be a serviceable pick-me-up after watching Berserk, there's under a dozen episodes, and you can google for them easily enough. The plot is surprisingly engrossing for being entirely concerned with the everyday and mundane, and it certainly isn't cliché, for much the same reason.

tensai_oni
2013-06-18, 11:57 AM
I am going to suggest Azumanga Daioh. Based on a series of 4komas, it's a show about a group of high school girls and their shanenigans and misadventures. It's a mix of sketch comedy and slice of life, and was created before the latter became really popular as an anime genre. What it does not have is a strong plot, since it's focused on small vignettes as you'd expect of something of 4koma origins. But it's relaxing to watch, heartwarming (when it's not being comedically cruel for the sake of comedy), and really funny.

Ishikar
2013-06-19, 07:50 AM
As far as recommendations go from the thread I'd have to second Trigun, Azumanga Daioh, and Angel Beats. They're all good and have wacky hijinks that will entertain you through the whole series (also if you don't feel anything in the last episode of angel beats you have no soul).

Full Metal Panic Fumoffu! is also a good series, it's the more "slice of life" materials from the story that they seperated from the "Military Drama" side that the other two series deal with. They're all exceptional and I'd really recommend them all because they are all VERY well done in my opininon.

If you haven't looked at Majestic Prince that's airing this season it's worth a shot. You get some really crazy characters who just zany enough to keep you laughing at the right times and get tension from a situation when needed.

Godannar is pretty much a mad-house series which plays off of and subverts several cliches from the genre. Has some sad parts to it but overall keeps the "Zu-wha?" moments rolling for the humor to win out.

Martian Successor Nadesico is a really fun one for just general crazyness. I still think it wins the award for craziest pilots in a series and ties with Irresponsible Captain Taylor (another good watch) for the most off the wall captain. Sadly the movie sequel to Nadesico made little sense to US audiences (the game that bridged the gap never came over) and it was poorly recieved in Japan so the 2nd and 3rd parts never came out. Leave it as the 26 episode series and ignore the movie, it's better that way.

Spice and Wolf is a series that comes in 2 13 episode parts (with more in the light novels) that I feel probably fits in. Lawrence and Horo have a WONDERFUL banter between them and the show is surprisingly compelling for a series that is ostensibly about Medieval economics. The show has a few tense moments but the dry humor of the two main characters as well as Horo's occasional wacky or dependant moments really keep the story rolling and demonstrates the relationship between the two.

GoblinArchmage
2013-06-20, 12:25 AM
You could always watch the best anime ever: Digimon. Is there really anything else worth watching?

Edit: Studio Ghibli films aren't anime, except for maybe Kiki's Delivery Service.

Radar
2013-06-20, 02:27 AM
Edit: Studio Ghibli films aren't anime, except for maybe Kiki's Delivery Service.
Huh? It's animated, it comes from Japan, so what else would it be? Anime is not a genre or anything - it's a an all-encompassing word for animation. As far as I understand at least.

Why wouldn't you call Princess Mononoke an anime, or Howl's Moving Castle, or Spirited Away, or Ponyo?

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-06-20, 08:28 AM
Huh? It's animated, it comes from Japan, so what else would it be? Anime is not a genre or anything - it's a an all-encompassing word for animation. As far as I understand at least.
Correct. "Anime" is a loanword in Japanese, generally used to refer distinctly to animation which originates in Japan.

What was probably meant stems from the fact that some people likely use "anime" to mean an anime series. Things like talking about watching "an anime". It's shorthand for "an anime series".

necroon
2013-06-20, 08:56 PM
Usagi-Drop.
There really isn't any action but it's short and will bring a dumb-founded smile to your face.

Sword-Art-Online
Great and there isn't a whole lot of it (I think mebbe one or two arcs?). Tons of action and it hit home on the nerdy level for me.

Terraoblivion
2013-06-20, 09:02 PM
In addition to a lot of excellent suggestions already made, I'd like to throw in Bodacious Space Pirates as well. I was hesitant earlier as it's a fairly slow-paced and surprisingly low-key show, but it is also largely lighthearted, cheerful and positive. It's the story of a teenage girl who inherits the space pirate ship of the father she never knew and sets out to settle into her role. It has a generally strong cast of competent people with Marika, the main character, standing above the rest as being one of the most competent protagonists in anime. It also features fairly hard science and much effort to show space as majestic, both features that probably aren't too surprising, given how it is adapted from a series of novels by an astrophysicist. It was also written and directed by Tatsuo Sato, the director of Martian Successor Nadesico among other things.

Ishikar
2013-06-21, 08:59 PM
In addition to a lot of excellent suggestions already made, I'd like to throw in Bodacious Space Pirates as well.

I am ashamed that I forgot to mention this in my list of recommendations. Once again I re-affirm that I can take pretty much anything you recommend and it'll be something I'll enjoy. I'm REALLY hoping that they play off the sequel hook they gave themselves because I want more Marika/Chiaki craziness. That and I think we need a bit more focus on the crew, they're a riot and a half, especially the security officer (I love background shot from near the series end where he's covering the hallway while everyone else is talking).

Otomodachi
2013-06-22, 12:04 AM
Ever seen Kenshin? (http://www.hulu.com/playlist/69090)

Terraoblivion
2013-06-22, 07:58 PM
I'm REALLY hoping that they play off the sequel hook they gave themselves because I want more Marika/Chiaki craziness. That and I think we need a bit more focus on the crew, they're a riot and a half, especially the security officer (I love background shot from near the series end where he's covering the hallway while everyone else is talking).

They are. A movie was announced when the final episode aired. It'll be in theaters in Japan in February. There's a small notice about it on ANN. (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-03-15/bodacious-space-pirates-film-february-2014-date-visual-revealed)

Brewdude
2013-06-22, 08:58 PM
So, my recommendations have all been ninja'd but i'd like to second the following:

Girls Unt Panzer is definitely my biggest suggestion for your criteria, of stuff that has been suggested.
The devil is a part timer
Sword Art Online (also accel world)

Additional suggestions:
Shana
Robotics:Notes (more upbeat but slightly less awesome than Steins:Gate and Chaos;Head)

But the biggest suggestion that hasn't been made, for slice of life, nothing quite as upbeat as "the Pet Girl from Sakara Hall"...which also might match your current situation, so you'll get extra feels from it.

lastly...Madoka is upbeat! really! just look at the first two episodes! It's a happy magical girl series! really! Honestly!.../struggles as I get taken away men with butterfly nets. It's the Song of Ice and Fire of magical girl anime!

Kitten Champion
2013-06-22, 08:58 PM
Smile on your face?

Azumanga Daioh
Excel Saga
Yakitate!! Japan
Tenchi Muyo!
Hare+Guu
Nichijou
Cromartie High School
Detroit Metal City
Hayate no Gotuko
Full Metal Panic? ~Fumoffu~
Ika Musume
Lucky Star
Paniponi dash
Gintama
Minami-Ke
Irresponsible Captain Tylor
School Rumble

They made me smile.

Brewdude
2013-06-22, 09:00 PM
Lucky Star is great, but it's like fudge. I can only take it a few episodes at a time.

Kitten Champion
2013-06-22, 09:19 PM
Lucky Star is great, but it's like fudge. I can only take it a few episodes at a time.

It's also an anime you've got to be an anime fan already to really enjoy. Same with Paniponi dash and Excel Saga to an extent.

Fiery Diamond
2013-06-25, 04:30 PM
I don't usually watch short anime, so I don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said, but I just couldn't help myself: it makes me cringe to see the "translations" of some of the titles. I dunno whether they're the official English titles or not, but why can't they just literally translate the titles if they're going to translate them instead of rewording them?

Arkhosia
2013-07-16, 02:14 AM
I wholeheartedly recommend avatar the last airbender.
Just... Don't go within 5 feet of the movie ok? You'll lose SAN.

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-07-16, 08:47 AM
I wholeheartedly recommend avatar the last airbender.
Just... Don't go within 5 feet of the movie ok? You'll lose SAN.
What movie? <whistles>

Hunter Noventa
2013-07-16, 12:41 PM
I'm going to second the suggestions of Girls und Panzer, Sword Art Online and Bodacious Space Pirates for all the reasons mentioned above, as far as recent anime goes.

Also going to recommend both Martian Successor Nadeisco(Just the series) and Irresponsible Captain Tylor as a pair of amazing, mostly upbeat classic anime. Nadesico is technically a mecha anime, but the mecha are mostly a backseat vehicle for combat, rather than the primary focus, as the show is pretty character driven, and hilarious.

Arkhosia
2013-07-16, 04:18 PM
What movie? <whistles>

I like to remember it so that I know where to aim the ICBM.

ser_pounce
2013-07-23, 09:19 PM
Hmmm...something upbeat? Gonna be hard as most of the anime I watch has at least some serious tones (quite often to the point of man-tears).

Anyway, here goes:

(1) Princess Nine - all girls baseball team. Fun and not too objectifying of women as compared to other animes with similar themes.
(2) Hikaru No Go - about a kid who awakens the ghost of a Go master
(3) Bleach - Shinimagi. Butt-kicking. Great story. Super long fights. Awesome.
(4) Cowboy Bebop - a lot of fun but also gets very sad. Worth it for the soundtrack alone.
(5) Trigun - Heaps of fun.....except towards the end when it is heartbreaking...

... argh, you can see I'm struggling here.... :smallsmile: Argh, I watch too much depressing anime! :smallsmile:

Tengu_temp
2013-07-24, 07:11 AM
I'd say Bleach counts as depressing, in that it starts good but gets progressively worse over time. I don't recommend watching past the Soul Society arc.

ser_pounce
2013-07-24, 06:42 PM
Yeah, true. Bleach definitely has some intense moments.

Ravens_cry
2013-07-24, 08:21 PM
Azumanga Daioh. Quirky, care free, slice of life. There is no antagonist, unless you count a certain cat, things just happen.
Absurd, surreal, delightful.
In a similar vain, I recommend Lucky Star.