PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt: Swashbuckler//Ninja!?

gurgleflep
2013-06-16, 02:55 PM
How good would this combination be? First: I'm actually contemplating playing it in a gestalt campaign. (Due to everybody working, it's been pushed back several times)
Second: I don't like the Pirate vs. Ninja thing, why not combine the two into pure awesome? Pirate and ninja!
Thirdly: the picture in the spoiler.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20061128195158/uncyclopedia/images/c/cd/93066695_l.gif

I'll be honest, I'm not the most creative person in the world. But you've gotta admit, a swashbuckling, heavy drinking, stealth assassin sounds pretty awesome!

Waker
2013-06-16, 03:06 PM
Generally speaking, the classes would make a rather poor combination. On their own, both are rather underwhelming, the class list mostly overlaps, you would need good Wisdom to get the most out of your Ki while also needing Intelligence for Insightful Strike. In gestalt, Swashbuckler is pretty much flat out worse than Fighter and there isn't much that a Ninja can do that a Beguiler, Factotum, Bard, Swordsage or any number of other classes could do better.

Zombulian
2013-06-16, 03:25 PM
Gestalt a Swashbuckler//Rogue! Daring Outlaw so that you're effectively a lvl 40 rogue for SA and a lvl 40 Swashbuckler for... Whatever Swashbuckler stuff increases with that feat.

Granted I'm not sure this is how gestalt works...

HunterOfJello
2013-06-16, 03:44 PM
At least change Swashbuckler 20 to Rogue/Swashbuckler with Daring Outlaw in the mix.

Then switch Ninja for Spellthief and just play as a ninja character.

~

Just because the class is called Ninja, doesn't mean that you have to take levels in that class to be a ninja.

gurgleflep
2013-06-16, 04:48 PM
Generally speaking, the classes would make a rather poor combination. On their own, both are rather underwhelming, the class list mostly overlaps, you would need good Wisdom to get the most out of your Ki while also needing Intelligence for Insightful Strike. In gestalt, Swashbuckler is pretty much flat out worse than Fighter and there isn't much that a Ninja can do that a Beguiler, Factotum, Bard, Swordsage or any number of other classes could do better.

Which classes would you suggest for a feel similar to this? PrC included.

At least change Swashbuckler 20 to Rogue/Swashbuckler with Daring Outlaw in the mix.

Then switch Ninja for Spellthief and just play as a ninja character.

~

Just because the class is called Ninja, doesn't mean that you have to take levels in that class to be a ninja.

Zombulian ninja'd you :smalltongue: I find this especially funny seeing as the subject involves ninja's! (Edit: Maybe not ninja'd, I just saw the time gap... You were agreeing with him it looks like)

Back to the subject though, what are daring outlaw and spellthief, and where can I find them?

Malvanis
2013-06-16, 05:25 PM
I don't think Swashbuckler and Ninja are really the best together. The classes alone really suck and put together they won't be much better. As mentioned above, the daring outlaw feat can help you greatly.

Zombulian
2013-06-16, 06:05 PM
Which classes would you suggest for a feel similar to this? PrC included.

Zombulian ninja'd you :smalltongue: I find this especially funny seeing as the subject involves ninja's! (Edit: Maybe not ninja'd, I just saw the time gap... You were agreeing with him it looks like)

Back to the subject though, what are daring outlaw and spellthief, and where can I find them?

Daring Outlaw is a feat from Complete Scoundrel. Spellthief is a base class from the same book as Ninja :smalltongue:

gurgleflep
2013-06-16, 06:13 PM
I don't think Swashbuckler and Ninja are really the best together. The classes alone really suck and put together they won't be much better. As mentioned above, the daring outlaw feat can help you greatly.

Daring Outlaw is a feat from Complete Scoundrel. Spellthief is a base class from the same book as Ninja :smalltongue:

Everybody seems to be in favor of that feat, so I'll examine it next time I've got the book in my hands :smallsmile:
I own the book the ninja's in, so not having known that is quite embarrassing :smallredface:

Thank ya'll! :smallbiggrin:

JaronK
2013-06-16, 08:51 PM
A much more solid version of this would be Warblade//Beguiler or Warblade//Rogue 1/Ninja 1/Unarmed Swordsage X.

Warblades already do the swashbuckler thing better than Swashbucklers anyway. Unarmed Swordsages and Beguilers do the ninja thing better than Ninjas. And this way everyone's pretty int based, which is nice.

Other classes to consider include Ninja Spy, Rokugan Ninja, Dread Pirate, and Scarlet Corsair. Maybe something like Warblade X/Scarlet Corsair 5//Rogue 1/Factotum 1/Unarmed Swordsage Y/Iaijutsu Master 5? That would be very pirate ninja indeed, though it would have an odd Int and Charisma focus. Still, it would be good for the "pop out from the shadows, draw your sword, kill your enemy as you draw, then scare the heck out of everyone else with your piratey awesomness" feel.

JaronK