PDA

View Full Version : Blades, Bludgeons, and everything in between

MirthTheBard
2013-06-16, 03:52 PM
Hello again! Mirth here, with more questions to see what other people think!

My question today is simple: What are the best weapons for a melee combatant?

I'm more interested in hearing about non-magical weapons, but feel free to include your favorite magical weapons too! If you wouldn't mind elaborating on why you consider a weapon so good or what builds synergize with the weapon that would be great :D. EDIT: Feel free to post weapons from either 3.5 or PF.

Roll initiatives and swing away! Or stab. Whichever you prefer.

Xervous
2013-06-16, 03:57 PM
Greatsword: simply the most damaging 2handed martial weapon
Spiked chain: your best bet for tripping
Guisarme: martial reach weapon with tripping.
Scythe: 4x crit mod.
Kukri: for crit fishing
Morningstar: best stock cleric weapon by far.
Rapier: nice for crit fishing
Armor spikes: for putting enchantments on that are purely defensive/utility
Lance: for charging

Invader
2013-06-16, 04:28 PM
Whips for rp whip tricks but not really much else.

JusticeZero
2013-06-16, 04:29 PM
In which system? Some of them have been changed between 3.5 to PF. I mean, I remember AU where all the cool power gamer kids used lances as their go to all-around melee weapons. Spiked chains are a sub-par weapon in PF.

GreenETC
2013-06-16, 04:33 PM
In 3.5, my go to for a while now has always been the Greathorn Minotaur Greathammer, or even just the Goliath Greathammer, as the x4 crit and bludgeoning type makes it perfect for having with the best spell ever, Greater Mighty Wallop.

Flickerdart
2013-06-16, 04:40 PM
If you want to spend a bit of cash, baatorian greensteel bestows a weapon with a +1 enhancement bonus to damage without being magical.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-06-16, 04:51 PM
An any weapon with the aptitude enhancement. It's all weapons at once and weapon related feats always work with it.

For the non-magical version, a sack of shape-sand. Any non-magical weapon or tool you'd care to create after a quick wis check.

Xervous
2013-06-16, 04:55 PM
Dragon Magazine's Oerthblood is nice. Especially since you can combine it on top of nearly any other type of weapon material for only 6,000

Piggy Knowles
2013-06-16, 05:02 PM
To split into categories, my personal opinion would be:

SIMPLE WEAPONS: Morningstar or longspear. Morningstar has the advantage of being able to be used in one or two hands and having two nice damage types. It's honestly better than many martial weapons. Longspear's reach makes it a pretty solid simple weapon as well, though.

MARTIAL WEAPONS: Guisarme or lance. I'm sorry, but the slightly higher damage of the greatsword just isn't worth losing reach, IMO. It's such a tiny damage difference that it won't make an appreciable difference at anything but the lowest levels, whereas the guisarme has reach and is a tripping weapon. Lance gets special mention because any mounted melee build without a lance is just doing something wrong.

EXOTIC WEAPONS: Spiked chain, probably, as stupid as it is. (Man, I really don't like the spiked chain, but there's no denying that it's a solid melee weapon.) I recall seeing some cool exotic polearms as well, but I don't remember them offhand. Special mention to the kusari-gama and spinning sword for being one-handed reach weapons.

Slipperychicken
2013-06-16, 05:12 PM
MARTIAL WEAPONS: Guisarme or lance. I'm sorry, but the slightly higher damage of the greatsword just isn't worth losing reach, IMO. It's such a tiny damage difference that it won't make an appreciable difference at anything but the lowest levels, whereas the guisarme has reach and is a tripping weapon. Lance gets special mention because any mounted melee build without a lance is just doing something wrong.

Most of my melee characters take a lance and mount, even if that isn't their specialty. The mobility is great, and double damage on a charge is just too good to pass up. Besides, you get a free +1 tohit for higher ground when you ride a mount bigger than your enemy.

So just riding a horse and charging someone with a lance nets you +3 to hit, -2 AC, and double damage. It's like a dream come true.

ArcturusV
2013-06-16, 05:20 PM
Lance would definitely be up there myself on my favorites list.

The Holy Avenger Longsword, if I'm a Paladin... because, why not? No one else can use it worth a damn. Can't UMD it. But if I'm a Paladin and wading into melee it's about as good as I can get.

I also make a lot of use of Clubs. It's free. It's bludgeoning damage which can matter on lower level adventures. In a pinch I can throw it if I need to, in that case of a guy just a bit too far away.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-06-16, 05:27 PM
Duom (Dragon Compendium) is nice. Reach, but can hit adjacent opponents with a -2 on the attack.

herrhauptmann
2013-06-16, 06:42 PM
Martial:
Executioners mace. BP or BS. 2d6, x3 crit on a 20.
Dungeon magazine I think.
As a piercing weapon, you can use the steadfast boots for an auto-set vs charges. (Same as the spiked chain actually)

If the DM isn't too happy with that mace:
Greatsword, morphing, metalline.
As metalline it forms most of the important materials. For morphing you can get the different damage types.
Make it from Aurorum (that metal from BoED that rejoins after a sunder) and always have it as adamantine. IF it gets sundered, it reverts to Aurorum, so you can rejoin the pieces, which restores the magic enchantments.
If the DM argues, point out that the intelligent item "Torvion" can be fully restored post-sundering just by rejoining the pieces. Which implies taht the same goes for any other item made from aurorum.
If that weren't so, then the material would be utterly useless.

edit:
Exotics:
Spiked chain.
As stupidly good as this weapon is, it gets better when you've got the steadfast boots. Now you're pretty much always set against charges (even though the weapon shouldn't be able to be set like that). When someone charges you, you get that set-attack at double damage as soon as they enter range. Then if they continue the charge to your adjacent square, you get a regular AOO.
Now if you're a tripping type character, that's two attempts to use Knockdown off-turn. Only one of which consumed an AOO.

SciChronic
2013-06-16, 07:00 PM
There the all-mighty shuriken, but that's just cheese.

Why does no one mention the Fullblade from A&E?

JusticeZero
2013-06-16, 07:07 PM
Again, dependent on what you are playing. In PF, the spiked chain is just a 2h weapon doing 2d4, crit 20×2, pierce damage with disarm or trip. It doesn't have reach or anything else of the sort. Nothing to write home about.

Xervous
2013-06-16, 07:22 PM
Orcish shotput is quite hysterical. I think its something like 18-20/x3 for its crit range.

Grayson01
2013-06-16, 07:50 PM
For a Rouge a Rapier (with the Telling Blow Feat and Keen SAB or Improved Crit)
Simple Weapon Longspear (reach, D8, X3 Crit) any class I have that is only limited to simple weapons it's my Default. Warlock, Cleric, Dragon Shaman it's my fall back.
Exotic Weapon Great Spear Same reasons as above but with 2d6 Damage.
Double Weapon Thri-Kreen Gythka 1D10/1D10 most Damage from a double weapon and if you are a Thri-Kreen you can wield two of them!
Favorite Magic Weapon +X Rusting Whip Yeah sure a Whip dose no damage on someone with armor that's fine Chip it away! Really only like it cause it's kinda a Jerk move and it's the Bain of Iron Golems!
Also any Metallic Weapon made from Blue Wood (+800 GP Cost) can Have the Rusting Enchantment and it's only a +1 cost.

Edit: Also on the concept of a charging lance user the perfect weapon property is the Valorous a +1 enchantment (Unapproachable East PG54) doubles the damage on a charge. So a Lance deals triple damage on a charge 4Xs with the Spirited charge.
An awesome Mounted Paladin (who Buy's a War horse, wait for it) who takes the ACF Charging Smite with a lance Spirited Charge and a Valorous Lance can deal some decent damage.

Raimun
2013-06-16, 08:08 PM
Any and all systems: Greatsword. Nothing can beat the classic.

3.5:
Gnomish Quick Razor. For Iaijutsu.

Pathfinder:
Earthbreaker. Screw the math. This big hammer is just too cool. 2D6 Damage and X3 Crit. The missing link between Greatsword and Greataxe. Works wonders against the undead. Crits are simply brutal. The only downside is that this weapon makes you want to quote Thor from The Avengers all the time.

Honorable mention has to go the Barbarian Rage Claws (Lesser Beast Totem), the terror of low level play. While not technically a weapon, since they grow from your hands when you Rage, they're still awesome. They're weapons that can be never disarmed or taken away from you and they say "Snikt!".

Slipperychicken
2013-06-16, 09:55 PM
Honorable mention has to go the Barbarian Rage Claws (Lesser Beast Totem), the terror of low level play. While not technically a weapon, since they grow from your hands when you Rage, they're still awesome. They're weapons that can be never disarmed or taken away from you and they say "Snikt!".

IIRC, they're natural weapons. Scoring an extra attack without the TWF penalty is good, as long as you can get them enchanted for a decent price. There's something to be said for weapons which no-one can take from you.

Also, you can use Unarmed Strikes in conjunction with natural weapons, which is awesome for attack-spamming. Just find some way to grab pounce and you're golden.

I once built a Toothy Half Orc Barbarian who got like 5 attacks per round (claw, claw, UAS, bite, gore) at full attack bonus. Necklace of Natural Attacks seems like it would be with it for him, so he can actually pierce DR reliably.

thethird
2013-06-17, 03:58 AM
My favorite Simple weapon is the Longspear a two handed simple weapon with reach that deals 1d8 and has a x3 multiplier. Seriously this is a really good one.

My favorite Martial weapon is the Dwarven Warspike (if you are a dwarf), this baby deals 2d6, has a x3 multiplier, reach and is a trip weapon. If you are not a dwarf the lance, has obvious applications mentioned up in the thread.

There are a few exotic weapons that catch my eye, Dragonsplits are lovely if somehow you get a free exotic weapon proficiency in a sneaky chasis. One handed weapon that counts as light for two weapon fighting and weapon finesse, that deals 1d6, and allows you to alternate between two different damages and have a good crit 19-20x2 or x4. Other than that the Drow Scorpion Chain works as a spiked chain but deals less damage and has a higher crit, it also is slashing.

CRtwenty
2013-06-17, 04:14 AM
Katanas, hands down... read this if you don't believe me.

That's it. I'm sick of all this "Masterwork Bastard Sword" bull**** that's going on in the d20 system right now. Katanas deserve much better than that. Much, much better than that.

I should know what I'm talking about. I myself commissioned a genuine katana in Japan for 2,400,000 Yen (that's about $20,000) and have been practicing with it for almost 2 years now. I can even cut slabs of solid steel with my katana.

Japanese smiths spend years working on a single katana and fold it up to a million times to produce the finest blades known to mankind.

Katanas are thrice as sharp as European swords and thrice as hard for that matter too. Anything a longsword can cut through, a katana can cut through better. I'm pretty sure a katana could easily bisect a knight wearing full plate with a simple vertical slash.

Ever wonder why medieval Europe never bothered conquering Japan? That's right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined Samurai and their katanas of destruction. Even in World War II, American soldiers targeted the men with the katanas first because their killing power was feared and respected.

So what am I saying? Katanas are simply the best sword that the world has ever seen, and thus, require better stats in the d20 system. Here is the stat block I propose for Katanas:

(One-Handed Exotic Weapon)
1d12 Damage
19-20 x4 Crit
+2 to hit and damage
Counts as Masterwork

(Two-Handed Exotic Weapon)
2d10 Damage
17-20 x4 Crit
+5 to hit and damage
Counts as Masterwork

Now that seems a lot more representative of the cutting power of Katanas in real life, don't you think?

tl;dr = Katanas need to do more damage in d20, see my new stat block.

Amnestic
2013-06-17, 04:59 AM
Katanas, hands down... read this if you don't believe me.

Might actually be worth the Exotic Weapon Proficiency feat if it had stats like that :smalltongue:

Crasical
2013-06-17, 06:13 AM
Orcish shotput is quite hysterical. I think its something like 18-20/x3 for its crit range.

Make it out of mundane crystal for the low price of a masterwork weapon. Ask enemies what they can see in your crystal ball.

There are a few exotic weapons that catch my eye, Dragonsplits are lovely if somehow you get a free exotic weapon proficiency in a sneaky chasis. One handed weapon that counts as light for two weapon fighting and weapon finesse, that deals 1d6, and allows you to alternate between two different damages and have a good crit 19-20x2 or x4.

The heck is a Dragonsplit? Some kinda nunchaku weapon? A pickaxe? What?

thethird
2013-06-17, 07:33 AM
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mm4_gallery/98721.jpg

This lovely Greenspawn is carrying a pair.

Vaz
2013-06-17, 08:04 AM
Quarterstaff

It can be made into a staff, which can be UMD'd. While Skill Points and UMD is not a class skill for everyone, 11 ranks, a +2 Circumstance item, and a charisma of 14 means you have a 75% chance of activating the spell within. For extra melee fun, ask to include Spikes, Entangling Staff, Shillelagh, and/or (Greater) Mighty Wallop as charges.

It's a double weapon; but you are only ever going to use 1 end. Throw on utility enchantments; +5 Defending Warning Eager Spellstrike Smoking (swap the Enhancement bonus to AC, attacks, or saves versus spells, 20% miss chance, and +7 to Initiative) while you're still able to two handed power attack with the other end, which has all the other typical weapon enchantments.

It bypasses Ironguard spells etc.

Plus, it can look just like a walking stick, so no need to be caught out in the open without a weapon.

It's also a simple weapon, so most people somewhere have the ability to use one.

JusticeZero
2013-06-17, 09:13 AM
The Katana thing is mostly the Argument from Ignorance - basically, people hear that Japan used all sorts of cool metalworking techniques to make a sword, then for some reason think that Europe was just banging on slabs of metal. In fact, the West had similarly awesome metalworking stuff going on, as well as having better quality raw materials. I'll see your fanboy's katana and raise them a sword from Toledo or a a Damascene blade.

Flickerdart
2013-06-17, 09:37 AM
The Katana thing is mostly the Argument from Ignorance - basically, people hear that Japan used all sorts of cool metalworking techniques to make a sword, then for some reason think that Europe was just banging on slabs of metal. In fact, the West had similarly awesome metalworking stuff going on, as well as having better quality raw materials. I'll see your fanboy's katana and raise them a sword from Toledo or a a Damascene blade.
Both of those are nothing next to the power of a viking's Ulfberht (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXbLyVpWsVM)! :smalltongue:

Keld Denar
2013-06-17, 09:38 AM
Martial:
Executioners mace. BP or BS. 2d6, x3 crit on a 20.
Dungeon magazine I think.
As a piercing weapon, you can use the steadfast boots for an auto-set vs charges. (Same as the spiked chain actually)

Better, the BS Executioner's Mace is the only weapon that can benefit from both Greater Mighty Wallop AND Whirling Blade. I love that combo. It's a gish's dream!

Vedhin
2013-06-17, 10:35 AM

It's only a lousy 19-20/x3 crit range. But it does deal 2d6 damage. It's an exotic thrown weapon from the 3.0 Arms & Equipment Guide by the way. Also, IIRC correctly it is the only expanded threat range + greater multiplier weapon with no errata.

Other weapons: Mancatcher from CW. It's an exotic reach weapon that deals 1d4 nonlethal bludgeoning damage. However, if you hit, you can attempt a grapple as a free action.
The Warmace from CW has the same EWP mechanic as the Katana (can only two-hand without proficiency). It deals 1d12 damage though, meaning that if you get one that's one size category bigger and wield it in two hands you can get something like 3d6 damage.
The Jovar from Planar Handbook. It's an exotic Greatsword with an 18-20 crit range.
The A&EG's Stump Knife requires you to lose a hand and take EWP, but it can get a 17-20 crit range.

Uncle Pine
2013-06-17, 11:01 AM
I prefer kukri and scythe. Yeah, I love critical hits.

Also, remember shurikens are your friends: you don't even need proficiency to make good use of them (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=11763.0).

Spiryt
2013-06-17, 11:11 AM
Both of those are nothing next to the power of a viking's Ulfberht (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXbLyVpWsVM)! :smalltongue:

Viking would have been Uflberht, or Ulfberth though. :smallwink:

JaronK
2013-06-17, 11:24 AM
I love that everyone now refers to Shurikens as the overpowered weapon... I'm so proud!

Anyway, my favorites depend on character type.

For sneaky Iaijutsu wielders (especially gnomish ones) the Gnomish Quickrazor is an obvious favorite for the easy Iaijutsu Focus.

For mounted characters, Lances get the nod for the double damage.

There's also a Pike in the Kalamar setting that's 1d10 damage, X3 crit, Reach + 5' on a martial weapon, or if that's not available the Awl Pike from Dragon Magazine is the same thing but Exotic and with 1d8 damage. Both can be fun on the right character.

Glaives and Guisarmes are nice too... I'm not a fan of Spiked Chains because a tripping reach weapon + armor spikes does the same thing without the need for Exotic.

And let's not forget Spiked Heavy Shields! They make an incredible weapon with the right character.

JaronK

The Viscount
2013-06-17, 11:25 AM
Favorite Magic Weapon +X Rusting Whip Yeah sure a Whip dose no damage on someone with armor that's fine Chip it away! Really only like it cause it's kinda a Jerk move and it's the Bain of Iron Golems!
Also any Metallic Weapon made from Blue Wood (+800 GP Cost) can Have the Rusting Enchantment and it's only a +1 cost.

Could you tell me where the Rusting Enchantment is from? I can't seem to find it.

Karnith
2013-06-17, 11:30 AM
Could you tell me where the Rusting Enchantment is from? I can't seem to find it.
According to this thread (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870158/The_3.5_Weapon_Special_Abilities_thread), it can be found in Shining South, on page 54.

The Viscount
2013-06-17, 02:52 PM
Thanks!

I love the duom, if only because I used it to build my 40ft reach character. Hilarious.

DeusMortuusEst
2013-06-18, 02:48 AM
It's only a lousy 19-20/x3 crit range. But it does deal 2d6 damage. It's an exotic thrown weapon from the 3.0 Arms & Equipment Guide by the way. Also, IIRC correctly it is the only expanded threat range + greater multiplier weapon with no errata.

Greenhorn minotaur greathammer is a 19-20/x4 IIRC. Exotic and has no listed price but it's a fun weapon to play with.

Vedhin
2013-06-18, 09:44 AM
Greenhorn minotaur greathammer is a 19-20/x4 IIRC. Exotic and has no listed price but it's a fun weapon to play with.

Ah, but the statistics block for the actual Greathorn Minotaur has it as 20/x4. The Orc Shotput has no errata, and no conflicting text. And it has a listed price, so you can buy one with no trouble.

Gavinfoxx
2013-06-18, 02:13 PM
Greatsword, Falchion, Spiked Chain, Guisarme, Duom, Exercutioner's Mace, Heavy Spiked Shield, Spiked Armor, Razored Armor, or if you're limited to simple weapons only: Morningstar, Heavy Sickle, Longspear, Fauchard.